Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Walker eating cooked foods?
Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: December 17, 2007 12:19PM

Storm has said that Walker had cooked rice on his menu, and recently someone on this forum said the same. I have been trying to find the source of this information but have not been able to find anything on the subject. May I ask those who know: where did you get this info? Can this really be true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walker eating cooked foods?
Posted by: karennd ()
Date: December 17, 2007 05:55PM

I do not believe it is true. In Matt Monarch's latest book "Raw Success" he provides Norman Walker's exact diet. He did include some raw goat cheese in small amounts, I think from goats that they raised. I don't have the book with me right now or I would post his daily menu. If I am able, I will post it later.

Karen DeVeaux
[www.healingtype1diabetes.typepad.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 17, 2007 07:40PM

What age did Norman Walker live to? Some say age 95, some say age 114. Why did the rumor start that he lived to age 114?

Date: December 17, 2007 09:59PM

Some say he lived to 118 (and some group says they have proof of this, that is in Matt's book too - what the group is, not the proof) and then I have seen a picture of his tombstone that is posted online that says he lived to 99.

I think we should focus less on the age that he died, and more on the way that he lived. He conquered ill health in his 40s and then experienced vibrant health up until the day he died, working full days in his clinic. He never experienced any of the 'aging' diseases.

He went out like an incandescent light bulb, instead of a fluorescent light bulb (as many currently do on the SAD).

Karen DeVeaux

Date: December 18, 2007 06:52PM

Okay, I've got Matt's book with me today - "Raw Success".

In regards to his age - "After talking with some of those managing the Norwalk family business, it appears they have evidence that Dr. Walker lived 118 years. Regardless of the age to which he truly lived, I feel that he provides an optimal model for long-term health."

In regards to his diet - "Upon rising, Dr. Walker would drink a glass of hot water with lemon to flush the liver and kidneys. After 15-30 minutes, he would have a glass of orange juice to provide an ample supply of Vitamin C to assist in the regeneration of his connective tissue...Allowing another 15-30 minutes, he would then drink his first glass of fresh vegetable juice. That was Norman's entire breakfast. Generally he ate one or two solid meals during the day, consisting of one of his small salads or no more than a pound of fresh fruit."

So, he ate once or twice a day, plus juicing.

He ate a small amount of seeds and sprouts every day, plus a few handfuls of nuts each week - not more than one handful a day. Sometimes he ate a small handful of nuts alone or with raisins or figs as his lunch. He believed they were best either ground, soaked overnight, or soaked and dehydrated.

He was 100% Raw, but not vegan. His recipes often include minimal amounts of cheese from unheated, unpasteurized goat milk. A few of his salad recipes use 2 ounces of raw goat's milk cottage cheese. He kept his own goats.

He also took homeopathic zinc, alfalfa powder (when fresh was not available to juice), dulse, kelp, and ocean seawater.

So, he did not eat any cooked food. I hope that helps and I highly recommend Matt's book as it contains so much more useful information.

Karen DeVeaux

Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: December 19, 2007 07:42PM

I have No idea as to what Norman W. Walker ate for breakfast, lunch & dinner over 20 years ago. However I did the on-line genealogy on Norman's background for Chet Day's website last year, which is now linked from the Norman Wardhaugh Walker Wikipedia page. I also was able to request a Cottonwood, Arizona genealogy volunteer (for some reason, genealogy volunteers particulaly like to take photos of tombstones...don't ask me why) to take a photo of Norman's & his wife's joint tombstone at the historical "Cottonwood Cemetery" to include with my Walker genealogy article.

And, yes, he did die at age 99, 5 months. Whether he died in "vibrant health" is questionable.

I've also since done the "backgrounds" on Paul & Patricia Bragg & am currently doing a bit on Jack LaLanne's ancestors.

Date: December 19, 2007 11:31PM

Many who knew Walker had said he was in "vibrant health" when he died. His writings, the Norwalk Juicer he built, perhaps the best juicer even today, his lifestyle were good indication of his healthy living.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2007 11:39PM by djachi.

Date: December 20, 2007 03:42AM

Really? I heard he had Parkinsons---or a Parkinsons-like condition---in the last decade of his life. And was in pretty poor shape health-wise at his death.

Interestingly, Donald Whiteside, his book publisher, said in his "Walker Eulogy" that Norman & Mrs. Walker left Phoenix, AZ about 6 years before his death for tiny, isolated Cottonwood, and he ceased having personal communication with his followers other than by letter or phone. The "spin" seemed to be a restful retirement,,,but I find this rather odd for someone still in such "vibrant" health. A case could easily be made that he was rather avoiding people witnessing a physical deterioration.

However, if anyone here or there has any "hard evidence" of his good or otherwise health, I'd love to hear about it. Perhaps I can add such on to my Walker essay.

Date: December 20, 2007 07:38PM

That is disturbing. The father of juicing and colonics did not fare well at the end and failed even to communicate his conditions to his many followers. If I am promoting a healthy living and that living does not work for me, I should have the courage to communicate that information to my students. Juicing is missing in phytochemicals and may not be optimal in the long run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2007 07:40PM by djachi.

Date: December 20, 2007 11:07PM

I didn't say Walker had Parkinsons; only that I "heard" (from two different sources) that was the case. However, some people who "claim" to know him tell a different story...at least that's what I "heard". Nobody has produced his death certificate that I know of.

I only did research on Norman Walker's family background & early years in the U.S. as, bottom line, "nobody" seemed to know much about the guy.

Date: December 21, 2007 03:15AM

The missing piece in many of the raw food diet systems is that we do not have any evidence of their long term outcome. Promoters and gurus may write and lecture how good their systems are but due to the complexity of the human body we cannot conclude from their writings until we have evidence of long living and healthy followers. What happens to the gurus in the long run is important to me, it speaks volume about the value of the diet unless the creator was not follower of his own plan.
Was Walker healthy at the end helps learn the value of the diet based mostly on juicing, colonics, and raw food just like what happened with T. c. Fry helped us understand the limitation of a fruitarian diet

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2007 03:28AM by djachi.

Date: December 21, 2007 06:17PM

If you're interested in Norman Walker's life, & where he was when, his publisher's Eulogy, "A Gift of Love From Dr. Norman W. Walker", might still be in the archives of the Norwalk Juicer Community Forum. Although there was about zilch on his family background & early life, reading it gave me some hints on finding the information for writing my own article.

Otherwise, I see from the Norwalk Co. Juicer site that if you purchase three Walker publications, they will include a free copy. Doesn't say whether you can purchase it otherwise.

His publisher said he used to meet with N. Walker weekly at the Walkers' home in Phoenix to discuss business matters, etc., and apparently that was the genisis for some of the info in the Walker Eulogy.

Don't know if that's much help...

Date: December 21, 2007 07:35PM

Ok, just checked. And you'll find the Norman Walker Eulogy beginning on Page "4" of the "Talk About Juicing" section of the Norwalk Juicing Community Forum. Disregard the date it indicated it started appearing as they revamped that whole forum fairly recently & the original posting dates for the "old stuff", for some reason, haven't correctly caught up yet. The Eulogy is also inconveniently divided up into separate postings (5 or 6?), but I think they follow each other to still make a cohesive whole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables