Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Coming off tranquilisers - do fruits help?
Posted by: badawie ()
Date: December 22, 2007 08:33PM

Hello,

I've been doing the fruit thing for a few months now. I noticed they make me really sleepy and calm, and help me fall asleep and stay asleep.

So a friend of mine is coming off valium after 5 years. She's pretty frazzled, and anxious all day. This will pass, but I'm trying to give her suggestions that might help. Her diet is pretty healthy (no lacto vegetarian), but I was telling her about the effect fruit has on me, and she asked why?

I have no answer for her! Any one out there know?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coming off tranquilisers - do fruits help?
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 22, 2007 08:41PM

Possibly: carbohydrates are the vehicles by which amino acids travel into the brain (passing the blood brain barrier). Amino acids (such as Tryptophane) are the essential building blocks of neurotransmitters, such as serotonin. Serotonin helps regulate appetite, sleep cycles and mood (SSRIs block Serotonin reuptake in the brain hence prolonging Serotonin's calming and mood enhancing effects - but, as very strong drugs, also having detrimental effects on the receptors).

I used to be a low carber and had severe mood issues. Ever since I started on the fuit meals, I have seen some magnificent changes in sleep, appetite etc. Fruit is, of course, mostly carbs, the kind kind. One of the biggest differences I notce is that I now dream very vividly and frequently, whereas I never used to dream.

There are specific protocols how you can help detox after tranquilizers. I think you might find by googleing.
Best wishes to your friend!

Date: December 22, 2007 08:56PM

Thanks for the reply!

re the dreams, me too! When you say specific protocols you mean raw food protocols or just ones to come off medication? She already came off the medication..

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 22, 2007 10:23PM

Clean food, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, will help. The cleaner the food, the less she will feel she "needs" tranquilizers, generally.

Regular exercise is very important too.

[www.imt.net]

[www.mayoclinic.com]

[www.goaskalice.columbia.edu]

I hope this helps.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: December 23, 2007 04:20AM

Re specific protocols: well, both actually. A specific protocol to taper off the medication as well as a detox protocol. I;d take things slow, like tapering the amount of mediciine taken and/or like adding a green smoothie everyday or making small changes in diet daily. Oftentimes what is thought to be a recurrence of symptoms is but a withdrawal symptom, so its tricky.

Patience and slow changes are imperative, i think. (thats true for antidepressants, not sure if the same for tranquilizers).

Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 23, 2007 05:08PM

coming off valium, after so many years, can be dangerous-- please make sure your friend is aware of this! my mother did it at a 5 day treatment center - she was/is in very bad health, they told her there, that if she had not come in - and did it at home- that she could have died... Sorry if i am scaring you I just don't want anything to happen to your friend. Not to hip on docs myself, but sometimes - like in a case like this - they can be helpful... Hope this helps a little.
Sincerely,
joanna

Date: December 23, 2007 09:35PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. The links were great. Glad to hear your mom was successful joanna.

My friend already did a withdrawal based on a well known taper plan of an English doctor. Its been a few weeks already and she's fine, just feeling pretty nervous, which is where people normally relapse because they think it's the original condition returning. I did it myself a few years ago (evil nasty pills). My excuse was how could I possibly put that crap into my body when I am such a healthy eater?!

I know that my eating habits were a huge reason that I had such an easy time coming off (where everyone I read about suffers horribly). The annoying part is that I can't seem to convince anyone to try it.

Hence why I was asking for a possible explanation for fruit causing sleepiness, but maybe I'm the only one experiencing that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 09:36PM by badawie.

Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: December 23, 2007 10:18PM

congrats on you and your friend... never been on those pills but pain pill withdrawal i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy!!! how were you withdrawals different for you--- due to your healthy (raw, vegan?) diet?

Date: December 23, 2007 10:44PM

Hey, congrats to you too! Pain pills are a bad withdrawal...

I joined a forum support group, and everyone seems to be having a really hard time. There are only 2 people who have had an easy time. Me and one other person. What do we have in common? Vegans, natural foods only, unprocessed etc.

I feel like my body eliminates stuff faster. They recommend stuff like not eating cruciferous veg because it causes the medication to eliminate faster. I can't wrap my head round that one. I mean I WANT stuff to eliminate faster! Why should we want that crap in our livers?? Since the fruit, I feel like nothing stays in my system for very long..and the fruit, wow, I mean I'm pretty high strung, and I still have problems sleeping these last 2 years, but since fruit, I fall asleep no problem.

I actually did a couple of 'test' days, where I ordered take out. Still vegan, but chinese food and pizza. My stress level on those days was through the roof! And it wasn't guilt, I give myself a couple of days a month where I eat whatever I feel like..but this time I paid attention to my nervous system response. It's like the natural food puts less stress on my body, and that means less stress to my nervous system. I don't know how else to explain it. I mean people think I'm crazier than ever..they have a 'night cap' or a glass of milk to fall asleep, I eat half a pineapple, or eat a lot of mango when I'm super stressed..I only notice the super relaxing thing with fruit..but I am sure that the veg keeps my nervous system puttering along at a nice idle..whereas eating 'normal' food puts my system into high gear.

That's useful when I have a long day at work or I need to be on my toes! But generally I prefer to be chilled out.

I'm only about 50% - 70% raw. 70% in summer, not so much in winter! I only recently (few months) gave up stuff like wheat (which I discovered has a really really bad effect on me). Most of my raw is from fruits..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 10:48PM by badawie.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:16AM

Cellular regeneration takes place largely during the REM phase of sleep. This is why long term sleep deprivation is very hard on the body.

If you feel like you need to sleep, sleep.

[www.websciences.org]

[www.psychosomaticmedicine.org]

[serendip.brynmawr.edu]

Date: December 24, 2007 03:45PM

Thanks for those links. I guess I'm trying to find out why fruit makes me need to sleep..I sleep as much as my body asks for, but it asks for more when I eat a lot of fruit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables