Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hey Bryon..RE: post "Did I do something wrong"
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: December 22, 2007 05:47PM

Bryon,
I have been doing what youre saying backwards. nothing for breakfast. a big salad about mid morning, but before noon, and fruit the rest of the day, and then another salad at dinner. ok wel sorta backwards. what I use for dressing on the salad is simply diced tomato. but I like to add an avacado to the salad, both salads. the mid day salad and the evening salad. So I think this may be while I feel tired during the day. So now I am going to just eat fruit/greens all day with only one avacado at dinner. I already eliminated seeds. I was eating soaked sunflower seeds daily, and handfulls of them WITH sweet fruit and I was told this is bad food combining so I will try just fruit all day , then the salad.But I was also told to up avacado intake to help stabilize my weight from all the weight loss due to eating raw, then back off them when it begins stabilizing. I love avacados so I was happy to have them in my diet of being RAW. Hey, theyre better for you than whoppers,lol. I am going to shoot for pure fruit and greens and get away from seeds and avacado and work on 1 avacado a day. I was also mixing avacado with onion and tomatoes,raw onion that is and just eating that out of the bowl because it it SOOOOO good and i never had problems digesting it but was told it is acidic and a bad food combo.And also to eat one fruit at a time and if Im going to mix at all mix sweet fruits with sub-acid fruits and not mix acid fruits with sweet or sub-acid. keep acid fruits seperate and melons eat by themselves.I can do this!! today I am going to have only cantelope as my mono for the day but I was wondering if you can eat cantelope with greens in a smoothie?
thanks for your insights, this is a great forum
rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hey Bryon..RE: post "Did I do something wrong"
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 22, 2007 09:57PM

heh
like how you spell bryon

rhymes with kryon

cool

i think i'm going to call bryan
bryon from now on

i actually like that spelling a LOT ( now that i think about it)

okay
this had nothing to do with your post
but still

it had bryon on it

Date: December 23, 2007 12:59AM

thats because im a fast 2 finger typer, i type real fast and misspell things, sorry, my bad,i guess
rob

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 23, 2007 02:39AM

Hey Rob,

My mother made me take typing in school and I was so mad at her. Who knew the keyboard revolution was about to take place and we would all be communicating via keyboards? Anyway... I use Firefox as my browser and it has a spellchecker which is great for me. I'm spelling impaired. smiling smiley

I've gravitated toward the 80/10/10 way of eating, more or less. I sometimes wonder if I should eat more greens, but this way of eating is so easy. I eat fruit all day until dinner time then I eat a big salad of raw veggies/salad stuff. When I started out I was eating a lot of nuts and seeds and dried fruit and mixing them with things that I probably should not have mixed them with... optimally speaking.

But, yeah, it wasn't like I was eating Whoppers so I have to keep perspective. I was never really into Whoppers, but you get the idea.

Sometimes I have to just look around and see what most people eat and it helps me keep things in perspective. Almost everyone I work with is overweight to some degree and several of them have a little clique that tries different "diets" serially. It's quite sad. I mentioned that I had lost 30 pounds since August and when one of the serial dieters asked how, I told her it was from eating mostly fresh fruits and raw vegetables. She looked at me like it didn't compute and changed the subject.

Although this raw thing can seem complex at first, I think once you get used to it and learn what your body needs and learn more how to listen to your body, you will find it is much simpler than you thought at first.

I was overwhelmed by all the choices at first. Now, the way I eat is very simple and easy.

If you are trying to put some weight on or not lose any more weight, I don't see any problem with some avocados or seeds, but I'll defer to Bryan as he is much more experienced in this sort of thing.

Hang in there.

Lee

Date: December 23, 2007 03:43AM

Hey Lee,
". I eat fruit all day until dinner time then I eat a big salad of raw veggies/salad stuff. When I started out I was eating a lot of nuts and seeds and dried fruit and mixing them with things that I probably should not have mixed them with... optimally speaking. "

I was doing this too, I was going to get the book 80/10/10 and read it.
I am planning to do this, fruit all day then salad at dinner, I have been doing it backwards, salad just before lunch, then fruit all day but also a salad for dinner. and I was putting avacado and tomatoes on top of the salad and was told this was too acidic. but it is real good and i like my salad this way.
what kind of fruits do you eat all day and a variety or mono?
rob

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 23, 2007 04:54AM

Rob,

It sounds like you are doing great. I think you will find that you have more energy if you eat the fat later in the day as you are proposing to do. By the way, it took me some time to bring my fat intake down to 10%, as I described in this post.

Also, my weight fell down to 130 (I'm 5'10"winking smiley when I first went 100% raw with a high fat raw diet, but I regained 10 pounds after being on 80-10-10 for 6 months. There is some cleansing that is going on during the first year of being all raw, so don't get discouraged if your weight doesn't some back right away.

Also as far as food combining, see what feels good to you. Its good to understand the principles, as when you get a stomach ache from your meals, the food combining can explain why certain combinations don't digest. But is also fun to play with foods that may not be perfectly combined. Again, see how it feels to you.

When I first started raw, I used to eat 5 meals a day. Now, I am down to 2. But this took me years to get to this point, and always, do what feels good for you. And also expect things to change.

Date: December 23, 2007 02:38PM

Wow youre 5'10" and dropped to 130! Im 5'11" what did you weigh before you dropped to 130? According to my BMI calculator I can go down to 130 and thats where it goes to underweight, right now my BMI is 22 and at 131 it is 18.5 which is underweight so Im still normal. the thing I notice alot is when I bend down and grab things and pick them up I can feel the bones in my back like rubbing together, like I ve lost a lot of muscle mass or something and I had a family member yesterday tell me I look like sickly, my face looks sunken in and pale and bony.I dont see that when I look in the mirror. it looks more like definition to me. theyre just all used to seeing me big and muscular is all, now Im small and sefined, I feel like I did when I was 12!! and everyone thinks Im sick and stuff but I will not let the comments discourage me or get me down. thank you for the post. I need to get the 80/10/10 book. thanks bryan
rob

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 23, 2007 04:39PM

Hi Rob,

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to go out and get the 80/10/10 book. 80% carb is way out of balance. You're body requires more than 10% fat to run smoothly. Although all that sugar comes equiped with enzymes to digest it...I think you will find it is still too much sugar for your body to deal with. If you went raw to lose weight in the first place...I believe you will find the weight going back on with that high of sugar intake. Even Bryan said he gained 10 pounds when he switched to the 80/10/10.

You said you love avocados...and you love salads. Don't give up those...Those are the two most important things to get into your diet everyday. I don't go 1 day without eating 3 avocados and 2 big salads. You also like seeds and nuts...throw in some raw coconut and you will notice your skin will start to glow healthy and people will start commenting on how healthy you look.

If you cut down on the fruit and increase the raw fat you'll be eating around a 60%carb 30%fat and 10%protein diet. Not only do I believe it's a lot healthier for you... but it's a lot more satisfying as well.

Brent

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 23, 2007 04:47PM

I was personally told by Dr. Graham that being 6'1" I could drop down safely to 126lbs and be alright. Also, don't get caught up on the weight as much as how you feel overall along with your strength levels. It all eventually evens out if you eat right and live to support health.

Date: December 23, 2007 05:21PM

Hey Brent,
I went raw because I believe its the way man was intended to eat, not to lose weight, the concern is where the weight loss stops, when peoploe are telling me I look anerexic(spelling?) that disturbs me but again i wont let the comments get in my way. raw to me is more of a belief to me now,most our lives were "tought" things and then the time comes when ultimately we make our own decesions. I didnt like the way i looked(250 lbs) and felt, and I want to take care of myself so when Im older Im vibrant not sickly which is eventually where the SAD diet takes people.We need food to live, not live to eat food which I have a big problem with.Even now that Im 100 % raw I still constantly eat. Im working on this but its hard because I love to eat. I keep pretty busy but find myself munching even when Im doing things. Itll take time but ill get there. I eat a ton of banannas and apples and grapes and the weight keeps dropping so personally I dont feel sweet fruit causes weight gain and am not worried about it. Im very active both at work and off work physically so this is why I didnt think the excess avacados were a problem with the exception of slower digestion, I feel this way of eating for me is the best for an active person.its more the combination thing thats got me stumped. Im used to eating variety and so having to watching what i mix is kind of a pain. But again Im retraining my brain, lol!! I have cantelope in the kitchen I need to eat because it s ripe but I have had banannas and apples this morning and youre supposed to not eat melons with anything, just eat them alone, ok so how long before I can eat the cantelope?? next time Im hungry? because Im not supposed to mix it with anything. see this is where Im stumped. so far today Ive only eaten fruit and will continue to do so till dinner and at dinner Ill have a salad with avacado.what kind of fruit is an avacado by the way anyone??sweet,acid,or sub-acid. I dont see it here on my food combining chart, and also brown mushrooms, what are they? fruit or vegetable?? thank you for your comments everyone.
rob

Date: December 23, 2007 05:29PM

[www.thewolfeclinic.com]
this is the food combination chart I was given to follow. But I dont see mushrooms on it or avacado. does anyone else?
rob

Date: December 23, 2007 05:57PM

Ok I found a better detailed list of the combinations on that chart. I found I can eat avacado with sub acid so the tomatoes are ok with the avacado and avacados are good on digestion when eaten with lettuce or celery. so the salad with tomatoes and avacado are ok so this will be my dinner meal. and sweet fruit and sub acid fruit during the day but no acid fruit. Ok this is a great start so now I have a plan and Im a planner , always have been.cool
rob

Date: December 23, 2007 06:05PM

Brent, raw coconut? I have some organic raw coconut oil in a jar from the health store. or do you mean coconut itself, the meat scraped from the shell? And I think the same on the avacado. thanks for the reply
rob

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 23, 2007 06:15PM

Rob,

Mushrooms...fruit or vegetable?...I think they are an overgrown fungus!...lol

And avocados...I liked your question...What kind of fruit are they? I believe the only reason they call it a fruit is because like most fruits you eat the fleshy part that surrounds the seed. But, where as most fruits are roughly 90% carb...avocados and olives are roughly 80-90% fat. And where most fruits increase their sugar content as they ripen...avocados are the opposite...strange.

I'm the same as you, I love to eat. But, being a former diabetic, to me, sugar is sugar. Whether its a slice of bread, baked potato, 4 cubes of sugar or a piece of fruit...my body still had to deal with the sugar. And so does yours. To me...and this is my own opinion. Even tho a person can eat a raw 80/10/10 diet and be getting the enzymes to digest the food the body still has to deal with the high sugar content so..unless you are eating next to nothing...the only way the body deals with it is for the pancreas to produce insulin. High amounts of insulin in your bloodstream is not good for the arteries and is one of the main culprits of atherosclerosis. I wouldn't give up the raw fat...replace that banana with an avocado and I think you'll be more satisfied.
Just a thought...

As far as mixing foods, I thought all fruits were ok to eat together...whether its a banana, melon or apple. If you've elliminated starches and cooked meats I can't see there being a problem with any sort of mixing.

Brent

Date: December 23, 2007 09:23PM

Brent, I like the way you put that..."former diabetic" right on good to hear you kicked it. eating is quite complicated isnt it? for some its "easy"
rob

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: December 24, 2007 02:26AM

Lately, for breakfast I've been eating some bananas or some apples. I'll eat more (either bananas or apples) as a mid-morning snack, whichever I had for breakfast. Then, for lunch sometimes I'll have another fruit or I'll have some tomatoes or cucumber. Those are technically fruit. Sometimes I'll have whatever fruits were inexpensive like pears lately or maybe I'll splurge on a mango or pineapple.

For dinner, I'll have a salad of lettuce, greens of some kind, whatever green stuff is in the refrigerator... maybe some sprouts with it.

I suppose, technically, I'm mono eating one kind of fruit for breakfast, but it's really because my schedule doesn't allow me lots of time for food preparation. I get up at 5 AM and can barely dress myself at that ungodly hour let alone prepare some culinary delight.

Before grapes were so expensive, I'd eat lots of grapes for breakfast or lunch.

When I first started out, I was always hungry and had to eat more quantity to feel satisfied. Lately, I'm feeling fine with less quantity.

I'd like to get into green smoothies and am thinking of splurging for a better blender than I have now after the first of the year.

Every now and then I'll eat some raw nut butter with apples or with celery. When I first started out I ate a lot more nuts, seeds, and dried fruit. Now, I just keep some dried fruit in my car in case I get in a jam and can't buy any easy to eat produce. But, I'm not eating much dried fruit any more.

I like a lot of Doug Graham's advice.

I'm not into superfoods as they are super expensive. I'd rather spend my money on fresh fruits and vegetables.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 24, 2007 05:59AM

hey roadrunner

i was wondering if you are a runner
and if that makes you feel great

don't know why
just saw your name
and pictured you running on the road
whizzing past a bunch of cars

Date: December 24, 2007 12:24PM

Yes I am. Been running now for almost a year. worked my way up to 5 miles, it took about 4 months.Lately I havent run much,its been too cold here and icy roads. But spring is coming soon.And the fasting and detox Im going through requires much rest as possible so for now Im taking care of the main thing, ME. I know this transition takes time so the winter months are great for rest and rejuvination into a much stronger healthier cleanier person
rob

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: December 24, 2007 09:42PM

Nice posts everyone, good to hear your experiences roadrunner. I've just finished my 7th month raw and my diet is still evolving. I've found I can't handle nuts, and even coconut seems to be too heavy for me. I'm not sure about that but I know when I have it blended in smoothies I feel real sluggish.

I'm keen to try eating just fruit during the day with a salad at night, intuitively it sounds right although I have problems consuming salad without dressings. I've tried avocado,date and citrus but the date is too much for me grinning smiley
I might experiment with less avo, no date and more citrus.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables