Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is all the hype true?
Posted by: sprouter ()
Date: December 28, 2007 06:15AM

I've been hearing so much about goji berries being amazing power houses of nutrition. Do you know if it's true? Do you actually feel happy after eating them?...is it worth the $$$$? any thoughts would help! thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is all the hype true?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 28, 2007 08:20AM

i've had goji berries quite a few times
to be quite honest, i didn't notice any overt significant difference in how i felt

i thought they just tasted like something between strawberry jelly and chewing gum

if u wish to spend the $$$$ i guess it would be "worth it" if you really thought so

i got it in the bulk bin and i didn't get very much of it so i didn't spend much on it ..

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: December 28, 2007 10:27AM

I would say with any superfood

Whole foods are enough, but..if you want to try then buy a small amount and see if you like it--feel any gain from it

I put them in smoothies sometimes..but genrally dont bother buying them

I enjoy raw cacao, spirulina and mesquite more..but again I can go without them also. Just an extra really.

See if you can buy a sample pack or split a bag with a friend-- here you can get them everywhere=-- not sure about US

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2007 11:19AM

sprouter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been hearing so much about goji berries being
> amazing power houses of nutrition. Do you know if
> it's true?

No. It's marketing mishmash.

>Do you actually feel happy after eating
> them?...

No. They don't taste as good as fresh berries, either.

>is it worth the $$$$? any thoughts would
> help!

No. Dried fruits don't do it for me. A friend sent me some and I used them in my fruit salads but they are not something I would have bought myself.

Eat blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. Fresh is best.

If you really want goji go to your local Asian store, they are around $2/lb or so. A lot cheaper than what they sell for on the internet and cheaper than fresh berries even.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2007 02:16PM

i'm with you arugula, they didn't taste all that hot to me, neither did i notice any wonderful health benefits. perhaps they'd be good in winter when fresh berries are scarce. if they didn't taste like dust to me that is.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:26PM

Oh, one other thing I wanted to point out. About the ORAC score (one measure of antioxidant capacity). These are for dried berries, the water is removed. so naturally there will be a higher score per unit weight compared to fresh because dehydrated foods usually weigh around 1/5 as much as their fresh counterparts.

But when you remove the water you remove other good things, too.

I think in general it's better to avoid dried foods. Unless you are in a fix or somthing, like on a mountain trip where weight of your food really matters.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: December 28, 2007 03:46PM

If anything boosts you to a large degree after eating I wouldn't care for it. Sounds more like a stimulant and I tend to avoid those, even if they contain nutritional benefits. As far as goji berries, I suggest eat them if you enjoy their taste smiling smiley

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: December 29, 2007 05:02AM

I think it depends where you get them and the quality. The Gojis that I've found in stores like Whole Foods weren't as good as the ones I buy online. TI don't like eating them because they leave a weird medicinal taste and I don't like chewing/eating dried fruit..But I love the taste when they're in smoothies blended with other fruit.

I soaked a few in water once and then squeezed one o Brix test it and it came out a a decent number... if that means anything.

Posted by: sprouter ()
Date: December 30, 2007 07:44AM

Thanks for all the great feedback! Now I don't feel like I need them in my diet. I'll try buying a little bag to see if I like them. I agree fresher is better! It's amazing how convincing marketing can be! with all the hoopla, they make it sound like the best food in the world!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables