Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

need a good multivitamin-mineral
Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: December 27, 2007 05:51PM

I have been taking Shaklee vitamins for awhile now along with Liquimins liquid mineral supplement but they tripled their prices and I am looking for a good vitamin mineral/green food multi or liquid drink to take daily. Any suggestions? Just as an addition to eating well?
Help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need a good multivitamin-mineral
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 27, 2007 09:22PM

NOW foods makes a nice line called Adam that is reasonably priced. There are several varieties but I used to use the veggie formula. You don't need to take it every day, maybe 1-2x/week.

I don't take a multi anymore. I eat well, and I supplement still with only methylcobalamin and D2.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 27, 2007 09:25PM

Hi Arugala,

What are methylcobalamin and D2? Are they lacking in a vegan diet?
Thanks, Greg

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 27, 2007 10:26PM

Methylcobalamin is probably the best form of B12, which yes, is generally very hard if not impossible to get on a vegan diet. It is made by bacteria and the evidence suggests that it is produced too distal in the colon to be absorbed so we need to take it in to make sure we have enough. B12 is a very cool molecule, I think it is probably the biggest biological molecule that isn't a polymer. It has a structure similar to hemoglobin, chlorophylls, and cytochromes. Nature conserves what works among many different life forms!

The most commonly used form of B12 is cyanocobalamin, which has a cyano group (carbon and nitrogen) in the middle. Methylcobalamin subsitutes a methyl group (carbon and three hydrogens) for the cyano group.

Most people get their D from sun exposure but that is not a given in the winter. The D form that is oral and most often used is D3 and it is animal sourced, usually fish liver. The non-animal source is D2 which is sourced not from a plant but from a fungus.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: December 27, 2007 10:51PM

Wow, great info Arugala, thanks... you definately know your stuff! I think I'm ok for Vit D, living in Maui, but i'll try to get some methylcobalamin.

Thanks again, Greg

Posted by: bostonhill ()
Date: January 02, 2008 01:39AM

Thank you arugula...you sure know some great info! I will check those out for sure.
Sandy

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: January 02, 2008 10:02PM

Hello, Arugula,

Which brand of methylcobalamin do you use? I have been hunting for a good B12 supplement to take, but I have two issues; one, I most often find the other kind (cyanocobalamin), and two, most of them (m. or c.) usually have sorbitol and/or manitol added to them - and I'm allergic to both! Frustrating...!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables