Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kicking the Salt Addiction
Posted by: Snugglebunny ()
Date: January 06, 2008 10:06AM

I've never really been a slave to things like sweets (whew) and being around my "Fat Flush soon-to-be mother-in-law", I no longer care for meats, dairy, grains...but I did have this one little bitty (HUGE) crutch...SALT. I ate all sorts of processed salty things from the dark abyss: top ramen (all kinds of flavors), condensed soups (this was a big one), marinated mushrooms/olives/banana peppers/pickes...well, you get the idea.

Aaaaanyways, I decided to water fast even if for only a little while, to see if I could kick this bad habit. I'm happy to say I did...but I wanted to be "sure". I headed over to the local grocery store and picked up a can of chicken noodle soup (O_o). I picked up the lowest sodium can I could, that being 140mg of salt in the entire can. I heated it up on the stove (x_x), got out my bowl, went for a bite and...(gag reflex).

The smell of salt was overpowering! I couldn't stomach it. I ended up picking out all of the things I actually wanted out of it...celery pieces, carrots, etc etc. I felt a headache coming on, but it passed.

I really never thought about how just a little bit of unnatural salt and lot of unnatural processed garbage could at one point in my life taste so good and so comforting...and then go to so...as my 4 year old cousin would say, "Ew, icky."

The best piece of info I can give someone that's having trouble getting away from a salt addiction like me...well, go for raw foods that are naturally salty. I usually pick tomatoes, soaked arugula (yes, it tastes mildly salty to me), and celery stalks (yes, these too). ^_^

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kicking the Salt Addiction
Date: January 06, 2008 10:10PM

Is Celtic Sea Salt okay to use sparingly?

Posted by: Snugglebunny ()
Date: January 06, 2008 11:47PM

You know, I never really tried using CSS myself, but my mom tends to use a teeny little pinch of it from time to time. Seeing as how it IS salt not found in something like a fruit or a vegetable, I'd think it wouldn't be too good for you in big doses.

My best guess would be that if you can handle it, then try it out. What doesn't sit well with me might do better for someone else.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 07, 2008 02:18AM

The salts "Celtic Sea Salt" , "Real Salt", and "Himalayan Salt" are healthy and delicious. They have over 80 minerals in angstrom size, which is the size our bodies can use.

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: January 10, 2008 06:28PM

To us, even Celtic salt and Himalayan salt are out. Both me and my husband have problems with even the tiniest bit of these salts. I used to dilute 2 teaspoons in a bottle of distilled water, so we could dose the salty solution per 'drop'. I literally used drops only, but even that proved too much. My husband gets a sort of lumps on his hands, and I get irritable the next day, with muscles aching here and there, so we threw them out. Even salt on the surface of dulse and kelp does the same. We no longer believe that even unrefined salt is healthy. We get our salts from natural sources like dandelion leaves, chard, celery and that kind of thing. Kale is good too but does not grow out here. Yesterday I put pieces of celery in the dehydrator. Got that idea from a book which I recently bought ("Raw Secrets"winking smiley. When dry you can powder them in a coffee grinder and use it to season your food. Anxious to know how this will work!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables