Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Yucatan advice
Posted by: raamen ()
Date: January 11, 2008 08:00PM

Has anyone tried to do the living diet while traveling in Mexico, specifically the Yucatan?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yucatan advice
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 11, 2008 08:34PM

My roommate just came back from three weeks in Mexico (we live in Canada). He had SO many stories of fresh coconuts on the beach, the mango, avocado, date, and guava trees in his yard (!!), fresh limes and chilis--it made me a bit jealous!! Haha. I've never been to Mexico myself, but from what I've heard, it could be a raw food paradise. =) There are a lot more foods available compared to what we have up north right now, anyway.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: January 11, 2008 08:44PM

Raw in Mexico is pretty easy, as long as you eat fruits! There are small covered markets with fruit stands in every town and village. Ask for the market, and you will find plenty of food. And there are also tons of fruit juices bars, usually blending fruits, veggies and so on.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 13, 2008 03:46AM

I wasn't raw the couple times I went to the Yucatan, but I was vegan. Being raw would be much easier, in a way, since you avoid complicated things that might/might not be vegan. The only thing raw at restaurants would be fresh juice, salsa, and salad with NO toppings. They would put cheese even when I asked for no cheese, they just wouldn't understand (not as a language barrier, but conceptually--they'd not put big chunks, but of course I wanted small pieces of queso fresco, right!?), so be careful with that. Sometimes you can find fresh juice/smoothie bars--again, just watch for dairy.

There are plenty of stands that sell chopped up fruit (nuts too, but they are most likely not raw--pumpkin seeds for example). You could ask an elote stand (corn on the cob) for just a plain, raw one with lemon/chili if you want. They thought I was weird for not wanting butter or mayo, so asking for it raw probably isn't any weirder!

Of course, any market or grocery store is going to have tons of ripe fruit and avocado. I would also look for yummy foods like jicama and other non-sweet fruit for variety.

On the beaches, there are guys selling coconuts. They have machetes and hack it open in front of you, and give you a straw. The one I had was too green, it was not sweet but bitter smiling smiley

I am planning on traveling the area down to South America this summer and I think it should be fine, as long as I stop by markets instead of restaurants. It's probably cheaper, too! Yummy, I'm excited.

By the way, someone told most of their produce is imported from other areas, and not directly fresh. Their land is sandy and not prime agricultural land. But I'm sure it's much fresher than the mangos and avocados I get in MN! At the time I was ignorant about a lot of tropical foods, so I don't know what else I'm missing out on!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables