Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Q & A with Paul Nison for 1/18/08
Posted by: Paul Nison ()
Date: January 18, 2008 05:59PM

This Week's Q&A with Paul Nison
(Please e-mail any questions you have to paul@Rawlife.com)

(We will do our best to reply to all questions in a timely manner.)

Question
I was a vegetarian for about 8 years. I am a runner and my ankles swelled so my Chiropractor told me I need animal protein! So I started eating filet. My blood is o - so I was told I need animal protein! What do you think of that and how can my body get what I need through the raw way of eating? I do not eat a lot of filet maybe once every 2 months but how do I get what my body needs the raw way?

Answer
My first reply would be to stop listening to your doctor. Most doctors do not have a good understanding of health and nutrition and yours doctors advice confirms to me he is one of these doctors. There is more protein in leafy green vegetables and even in fruit. Protein comes from essential amino acids and all of the essential amino acids are found is vegetarian sources. The best sources are sprouts, wheat grass, sunflower sprouts and even sprouted grains. The highest source of protein would be in sprouted beans. While I do not suggest consuming beans or grains unless they are sprouted, in sprouted form they are perfect for athletes.

As for the blood type diet, the science behind the theory is very flawed and if you are blood type O that does that mean you need to consume animal meat. I know many people who are blood type O and thrive on a vegan diet.

Question
I currently have been juicing more since the new year and I really want to make a full transition shortly. However, I do currently take insulin. I've read a lot about the Hallelujah diet, think it's wonderful and want to go that route. But, my problem is, it is suggested that you take Barley Max in the morning and then have vegetable juice or a piece of juicy fruit later in the am. If I'm taking insulin 3 times a day, how can I take my morning shot when all I am eating (or consuming) is the Barley Max?

Answer
Gabriel Cousens, a raw food author and teacher, has a new study and film out about how to get off Insulin with a raw diet. (Tree of Life) My first suggestion is that you contact him.

My next suggestion is that you continue to eat a light breakfast of low sweet fruits, cucumbers are an example, (anything with a seed is a fruit) or green apples, and veggies, either blended, mixed or juiced and continue your insulin. As you start to improve your diet, you can start to reduce your insulin. Gabriel has gotten people off insulin after only 30 days. So if you eat the diet correctly and have someone experience like Gabriel to coach you, it's just a short matter of time before you can be fine and possible off insulin. Another good friend of mine, Dr. Fred Bisci in NYC has had similar experiences as Dr. Cousens and at Hippocrates Health Institute they also have had much success with this issue. I suggest you contact at least one or all of those people. Dr. Bisci: 718-979-7950. HHI: 561-471-8876, Dr. Cousins a the Tree of Life: 866 394 2520.

Question
In your latest newsletter you mentioned that you have no problem with traveling because you can get fruits and vegetables everywhere. This might not be the case, in far away lands such as India, Thailand and China and other similar countries (even Mexico) where we are advised not to eat raw fruits and vegetables that we cannot peal (there are not many of those) for fear of getting a foreign bacteria or parasite common to those countries. We are basically limited to traveling around US and Canada. We go to Mexico and stay at an all inclusive resort and eat their salads and fruits but sometimes their choices are very limited as they cater to people who eat cooked food. Europe can be limiting too, not only in price affordability but also in choice, especially the Eastern European countries such as Czech Rep (where I am originally from) Poland, Rumania, Hungary etc where fruits and veggies are limited in quality and quantity and choice.We have been raw for over 3 years now and basically resigned ourselves to limit our travels. India, China and Thailand, Bali and such seem out of reach for us now. If you have a solution, we would like to hear it.

Answer
There are some places around the world where it may be harder to get some produce but the places you have mentioned to me in your question are very easy. They have an abundance of produce. In fact from my experience, it’s easier to get produce in SE Asia than anywhere else in the world. However you bring up a good point with the issue of consuming foreign foods. The issue really isn’t a foreign issue as much as it is organic vs. non-organic. It doesn’t really matter where in the world the produce comes from, if it is non-organic, there can be some issues with the food. The issue really isn’t bacteria or parasites because in raw fruits and vegetables there is very little to worry about when it comes to that. The real issue is the toxic poison they put on un-organic produce and the poor soil they are grown in. I’ve traveled all over the world and enjoyed organic and even un-organic produce with no issues. I would caution people to do thir best to buy at small local markets over big store produce. The only issue I see is un-organic leafy greens. I would suggest avoiding them if they are not organic and be careful of what water was used to wash them. A simple answer is to take a bottle of green powder to make sure you get your greens. The good news is as more people are concerned about their health, organic food is becoming more well known around the world. I hope this answers your questions.

More about these e-newsletters...

Welcome to a new issue of the The Raw Life Health Newsletter, brought to you by Raw Food Promoter Paul Nison (www.paulnison.com) and Raw Life Inc. In these newsletters, you’ll find information about health and nutrition.

This newsletter is for everyone interested in achieving the highest quality health from a physical, mental, emotional and spiritual standpoint. We believe the highest quality food should be raw, ripe, fresh, live and organic, however we also believe health is more than just diet.

We do not exclude anyone who does not fully agree with our message. We want to help support anyone interested in improving the quality of their life. Whatever path you may chose we want you to know we are here to support you and welcome your suggestions and comments.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables