Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Benefits of juicing???? What about Kombucha???? More????
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 21, 2008 11:23PM

Hi everyone-

I'm totally new to the raw foods thing...like a week of info gathering so far. I don't really have any health problems I'm trying to remedy, just looking to keep it that way for a long time. Oh and I'm 26, male, and active. Previously I have been all over the map with my diet from nearly all fast-food in high school to about 75% vegetarian/non-processed (basically I never avoided anything given to me but never actively sought meat or highly processed foods). I have a few questions that I'm sure I could answer myself if I read a few books but I'll ask them here in hopes that you all can save me a little time by recommending the right books to start off with.

First off, what the heck is the benefit of juicing? For example, I love to eat my oranges and grapefruits and bananas whole, it seems to me that the fiber is one of the main attractions. Why discard it? Animals in the wild certainly don't do much juicing. I am at what I consider to be an optimal weight (6 ft. tall and 175 lbs.) so I'm not trying to lose any pounds (I have a friend who is all about shedding 30% of her mass on the CRON diet in an attempt to live to 175 years old...that's not me).

Second, I work out a lot. I commute on my bicycle to work and ride fast. I play soccer in the city league. I snowboard when I can afford it and I used to ride competitively. I try to jog 5 miles at least 5 days a week. I swim at the Y once a week-ish. Etc, etc, etc. I'm used to getting lots of calories- this used to mean eggs, chicken breast, cereal + milk, nuts, friuts, veggies. How can I ensure I'm giving my muscles enough nutrition to continue growing? I see so many people on the web talking about how they've moved to 75% orange juice! My natural instinct tells me that I'll need to be eating a lot of avocado, nuts, seeds, to sustain myself. Am I missing something here? What is best for the raw vegan athlete?

Third, I hear people talking about not combining certain foods. I have always combined foods (eg. fruit + nuts) with no ill affects in my digestion. Is this something that's done when one encounters problems with digestion or just a general recommendation?

Fourth, and this is a big one: Where does alcohol work into the mix? I brew my own organic beer and kombucha, plus I enjoy the occasional bottle of red wine. I know that the beer is not "raw" but I am not really ready to give it up. I love to brew and I love the flavor of a fine hand crafted IPA after a hard days work. What is your take on Kombucha? I've been drinking it regularly for a month and I can't say that I've felt effects either good or bad as a result.

Well, thanks for the support. I really want to go 80% raw vegan immediately and perhaps all the way later on if it works out. Places like this make it much easier. If you have any recommended reads for someone like me (good general health, athletic, etc) please let me know!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Benefits of juicing???? What about Kombucha???? More????
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:23AM

Hoffsta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First off, what the heck is the benefit of
> juicing? For example, I love to eat my oranges and
> grapefruits and bananas whole, it seems to me that
> the fiber is one of the main attractions. Why
> discard it? Animals in the wild certainly don't do
> much juicing.

I'd say your correct there. I think juicing has more use when people are trying to cure some kind of existing condition. I think also when you are very active there is less need to juice.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Re: Benefits of juicing???? What about Kombucha???? More????
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:39AM

I agree with Funky Rob about the existing condition. Juicing helps to relieve the 'pressure' of eating Solid Foods, no matter how nutritious. Juicing keeps the body healthy and fed while Healing. Juicing can be an important part of your diet if there is a physical problem......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables