Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rye berry seeds
Posted by: Mona ()
Date: January 23, 2008 04:22AM

A friend of mine brought me some rye berry seeds that I was planning to use to make dehydrated crackers. Well, I found out when I eat them, I become acidy. It takes almost a week to return to my normal alkaline self. I hate to see the seeds go to waste. So I was wondering about growing the seeds and eating the greens in salads. Has anyone done this? How big do I let it get before I can eat it? Any input, suggestions, advice welcome.

Thanks,

Mona

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rye berry seeds
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 23, 2008 11:46AM

-You CAN sprout them. I imagine they are like wheat berries - and will start as a tiny sprout....and eventually make a kind of rye grass.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 23, 2008 03:29PM

Thanks David. I'll try that. Can you eat the grass it grows into? I heard eating grass isn't good for us. I suppose the sprouts would be OK if they don't get that big. Right?

Mona
The joy is in the journey, so enjoy the ride.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 23, 2008 03:36PM

don't eat the grass but you can juice it.
rye berries are also an excellent way to impart nutrients back into the soil at the end of a gardening season. sow the seeds and let the grass grow about a foot high or less, then turn it under so it rots back into the earth. this can help keep weeds down as well.

Date: January 24, 2008 12:36PM

Thanks for the great tip, Coco! I wish I had a juicer for it, but I don't. I was also wondering about using it as a grass in my garden. I like the idea of using it to help the soil. Thanks, again.

Peace and serenity,

Mona
We need to share our problems to find our solutions.

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:19PM

If you send me some (4444 Island Drive, N. Topsail Beach, N.C. 28460), I will send you some gorgeous, and of course, legal, stuff that I am growing. On-line co-op anyone?, ....via good ol' US Postal service.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables