Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 80/10/10
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: October 23, 2008 11:02PM

before I switched to oranges I was goin thru 15 to 20 apples a day! I went thru 5 cases of apples in 2 months. I guess they may bother some people but i can eat several apples in one sitting and have absolutely no problems, My mom says she cant eat oranges because they bother her stomach, same thing I can eat several oranges in one sitting and it doesnt bother me!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: October 24, 2008 02:05AM

I LOVE 80-10-10!!! I can write more tomorrow, I am wiped out (after just doing my organic co-op today!! HOORAY!) but would love to talk more about the plan. It totally works for me, and the key is to get enough calories. I don't have the cravings or wanting for other non-raw foods. I am not at the point to start restricting cals, or eating less. I need the quantity for physical and maybe even more likely, emotional reasons (perhaps) but it totally works for me!!

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: October 24, 2008 02:06AM

this is an 801010 thread..
I have the book
in NO food plan is there ANY apples...
Not sure if there is any oranges either..
I eat both, but apples are NOT in the diet according to his book, and oranges??

Date: October 24, 2008 03:09AM

Im Sorry Rawnr,
I was responding to Brians bellyache after eating about 3 apples.
I realize this is an 80/10/10 thread but sometimes other things
come up in the middle of threads. I tried the 80/10/10 before going 100% fruitarian and it wasnt for me.I dont like greens, Im not a horse or a cow.
I dont like meat, Im not a bear or a lion, or tiger etc. I eat what is appealing to me which is fruit and as far as apples and oranges I can live off both of them.
I live in a cold climate, so tropical fruit only works for me in the summer months
here. I ate a lot of bananas last winter and froze my ass off. This winter Im eating oranges and apples and am quite warm now with alot of energy! Actually
apple season is ending here now so im going with oranges for the winter as they are available year round. Bananas are a cooling fruit so I dont need a cooling fruit when its 15 degrees outside! the 80/10/10 is a fruitarian diet anyway with the final meal being a large salad right, well im just omiting the salad part and
Im getting plenty of calories,12 medium oranges is about 1300 calories a day according to fitday. 2 of thease oranges is a pound so enter it as 6 pounds its 1300 calories. but I dont count calories anyway. Oranges are very filling and theyre all Im eating till spring. hey.... a year and a half ago I was eating fast food every day so Im doing great! The less I eat the better I feel and with the 811 ya gotta eat alot and I dont want to eat that much! Plus if apples and oranges arent included in this diet but greens are, its DEFINATELY not for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2008 03:13AM by roadrunner.

Posted by: doghouse reilly ()
Date: October 24, 2008 04:09AM

Apples and oranges are a perfectly valid part of the 80/10/10 diet. The diet in no way excludes these two fruits. It's simply a matter of choice. For a lot of people (myself included) apples don't work. If they work for you, great.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: October 24, 2008 02:24PM

Roadrunner
where do u live?
I livein Toronto
it is FREEZING up here...
I eat steamed sweet potatoes and broccoli..
that's about it cooked...

I eat cayenne and hotpeppers as well in my food!

Bananas a cooling food? I had no idea!
Oranges are supposed to be cooling no? I am concerned about your teeth...
VERY acidic...

DOghouse - get the book 801010..
HE has listed meal plans for summer, fall, winter and spring...

There is NO APPLES in the diet AT ALL!
Apples are NOT one of the choices in the list AT ALL

I am not sure about oranges...have not looked at the book in awhile!!

Date: October 24, 2008 03:02PM

I have the book. Just because apples aren't in the meal plans doesn't mean that they aren't part of the diet. The meal plans are just an example for people to get an idea of what the plan might look like on a daily basis. Cempedak and Jackfruit aren't in the meal plan either and they are also part of the diet. Hundreds of tropical fruits aren't in the meal plan. He couldn't have designed the sample meal plan to include every fruit in the world.

I have spoken with Dr. Graham personally in the past and he has confirmed that apples are part of his program if they agree with the individual and they prefer eating them over other available fruits.

I don't care for them but that doesn't mean they aren't "allowed." It sounds like maybe you were taking that meal plan a little too literally. It's only an outline for people to grasp an understanding of how the diet flucuates from day to day and season to season.

Date: October 24, 2008 06:19PM

Rawr,
I live in Idaho,it gets very cold here! As far as my teeth,no problems,I brush and floss alot! Apples and Oranges are the most cleansing fruits as well as grapes! Thease 3 fruits are he BEST fruits to fast on! And they all taste AWSOME! Im getting 2 cases of organic oranges on sunday,and oranges will be all I will be eating till spring!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: October 24, 2008 06:42PM

I am concerned about your teeth... VERY acidic...

Now that watermelon season is winding down I have switched to citrus juice for my breakfast. I have found that a swish of water rinses my mouth out nicely. I have one of those cup warmers on my desk and I keep pure water in my cup. I drink from it any time I feel like having a warm drink. I checked the temperature of the water in the cup and it measures between 110 F and 120 F depending on the temperature of the room (early morning is coldest). The 115 F +- 5 F water is just a comfortable temperature for a swish and swallow (use pure water). I have found this to be a quick and easy way to swish.

Date: October 24, 2008 10:22PM

I agree, eating oranges while they are in season shouldn't cause any problems as long as they're ripe and sweet. Eating them year round, sure, that could cause some problems but it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. I've been eating lots of oranges and tangerines for 3-4 months out of the year for the past 4 years and haven't had any teeth issues.

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: October 25, 2008 12:34AM

As a rugby player I went against EVERYBODIES advice to wear gum shields and as a result my teeth went battered and chipped to pieces,sometimes even coming through my lips. When I went Fruitarian I found going months at a time strictly on oranges made my mouth much fresher and pain free!!!

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 12:40AM by richard blackman.

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 02:04PM

Yep!! It is a lot of food alright.

I just got the book in the mail couple days a go and having been skimming through it before I start reading from the beginning. I have to say the volume of food surprises me. A typical daily menu is like 2 lbs of food for breakfast, 2 lbs at lunch, and 4-6 lbs for dinner. Wow! The sum total calories is around 2000, give or a take a 100. I think I might be able to do 1 to 1&1/2 lbs at at sitting but cant fathom 4-6 l lbs!!! I'm thinking that maybe not every one needs to eat that much? I am only 5'2 and weigh 125 lbs an normally cannot eat very much food at one time. I am the type that when I use to go out to dinner I would bring at least half of it home with me.

I still want to give the program a try. Anyone doing the 80 10 10 that don't actually consume that huge volume of food yet are still are thriving on the diet?

Thanks,
Denise

Date: October 29, 2008 02:19PM

I'm thinking that maybe not every one needs to eat that much?

I don't usually eat big meals. I prefer to eat frequent small meals whenever I feel hungry.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 29, 2008 03:10PM

Denise, keep reading . . . Dr. Graham states to eat enough food for your calorie needs only. The menus are just sample guidelines, they are for a 2,000 calorie intake, which isn't for everyone he says. Adjust as needed, he is only trying to show you one way it can work.

I see misunderstadnings like this time and time again, and it always surprises me how Dr. Graham has been misunderstood and misquoted in so many ways. Even in this thread as well as those who have the book have countless times misinterpreted the information. I'm not a big 8/1/1 follower myself, but it is interesting to say the least - I wonder why??

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 29, 2008 04:40PM

I've been trying to eat as much as is recommended and I'm still not used to it; it's very difficult for me - I also don't have a big stomach and went straight from five small meals a day right to 80/10/10. Though I like feeling satiated, I don't like feeling overly-full. It's very hard to get a balance, for me anyway.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: October 29, 2008 05:20PM

You can still eat 5 meals a day and do 8/1/1. Are you understanding his recommendation as to how much to eat correctly??

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: October 29, 2008 06:47PM

dr graham makes some suggestions for people so as to avoid certain problems that may occur.

but, the essence of the plan is simply eat all the fruit that you care for and all the veggies that you care for. the fruit will be more than the veggies. this is nothing more than what similar primates eat, and simple deductive logic. it doesn't even require a book, except to help with unlearning.

being overly concerned with calories will cause a person not to trust the appetite, which leads to forcing food or being paranoid about amounts. its not necessary unless after an adjustment period there still are problems, at which point one can check calories, or fats or whatever other recommendations he makes.

Posted by: pippin07 ()
Date: October 29, 2008 08:08PM

tanawana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can still eat 5 meals a day and do 8/1/1. Are
> you understanding his recommendation as to how
> much to eat correctly??

I like the idea of 5 meals vs 3 large ones. I'm much more of a grazer anyway. The only thing I was concerned about grazing on fruit is that Iv heard it can be bad for your teeth. Say it aint so and I'll be a happy camper ;-)

Denise

Date: October 29, 2008 08:42PM

I'm a grazer too with the majority of my diet being fruit. I havn't had any teeth problems and that may be due to my habit of swishing some water after eating something. Also I think getting raw fresh food minerals is a good idea. I juice greens for that.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 30, 2008 10:39AM

I have finally got this book - very hard to get and expensive here but hooray - I love it. It all makes perfect sense. I'm not there yet on 80/10/10 but working towards it. (Slightly tricky because my partner and kids are not on the same journey - hmm)

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: October 30, 2008 11:39PM

yeah but see if i have 5 meals a day on 811 i just feel hungry all the time; if i eat a lot 2 or 3 times a day i just feel too full - either way the amount of calories compared to food is off; i'm not paranoid about it, actually this diet's made me pretty laid back and my anxiety is like..gooonee! It's just the stomach and digestive problems I get that are annoying me. So yes on improvements but not a full enlightenment just yet...so all I'm doing is trying to figure out what I can do with my meal plan future..thing! yay.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: October 31, 2008 02:05AM

I love 80 10 10 I love it

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables