Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is it safe to sprout Kidney beans ?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2008 02:32PM

Only recently started a raw food regime - and yes! I am feeling fantasic! Managed to happily sprout ckick peas etc but am missing my , normally boiled , kidney beans!
Am a little nervous of eating them raw as they can be poisonous- can anyone advise?
Thank you!

Marie-Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it safe to sprout Kidney beans ?
Date: January 28, 2008 02:34PM

NO!
sprouted kidney beans are toxic. not just kinda not bad for you, i mean totally off the list. try another bean, or lentils, they sprout really easily and are delish.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 28, 2008 06:03PM

Coco is right. Stay away from sprouting/eating the "big beans". The largest bean I sprout is the Garbonzo/chick pea... other than that, I like aduki, lentil and mung beans. I sprouted beans much more when I first went raw, but my taste for them has diminished.

Good luck and aloha, Greg

Date: January 28, 2008 07:20PM

chickpea is very hard to digest sprouted, it's hard on the body even if you can "handle" it. there are better choices i think, and certainly better recipes for raw hummus!
but kidney and kale sprouts are actual poison so stay away!

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 28, 2008 07:40PM

Wow coco, I didn't know that about chick peas. And Kale sprouts are poison? do you have any more info on this? I eat broccoli sprouts quite a bit and they are in the same plant family.

Thanks for the info,

Greg

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 28, 2008 08:16PM

I can't find any info on kale sprouts being toxic. This very site gives sprouting times for kale seeds on this page: [www.living-foods.com]

"Cabbage, Kale: Soak 6-14 hours, sprout 1+ days. Method: cloth or jar. Very strong flavor, best used as flavoring in mixtures. Can also be grown into greens. Seeds relatively expensive."

And Plants for a Future talks about eating one type of kale sprouts [www.pfaf.org]

"The sprouted seed is often used as the mustard part of mustard and cress."

Several types of kale are listed on Plants for a Future and I can't see any mention of the sprouts being toxic. The list is here [www.pfaf.org]

If anyone has information otherwise it would be good to know.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: January 28, 2008 11:17PM

My partner actually fed me a cup of sprouted kidney beans. I was sick for three days. I will spare the horrid details but suffice to say it was not pretty.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: January 29, 2008 03:19AM

Definitely don't eat sprouted kidney beans.
Sprouted chickpeas are good though IMO

Date: January 29, 2008 04:04AM

broccoli sprouts = excellent.

sorry, i have no source right now for the kale sprout info. i picked it up long ago when i was managing the sprouty house/livin' foods place. from a trusted source though so i still beleive it. certainly there are many alternatives, why eat something iffy? same to the chickpea, it's iffy. you Can eat it, sure, but you Can also eat cheetos, neither is all that terrific for your body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables