Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

seeds
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:22AM

OMG I just gorged on sunflower and sesamee seeds!! they were soaked and germanated, I ate like 2 cups!! My diet consists of bananas, bananas, and bananas with greens at night and occasionally apples and raisins.Usually I have a handfull of seeds here and there but tonight I really put them down!! I wonder if my body is needing protein?? I figured I am getting protein from the greens and fruit.I have backed off the avocado as I was eating about 2 a night with my greens INCLUDING a hand full or so of seeds. then I realized youre not supposed to combine fats with proteins, you either eat one or the other. and either of the two can be eaten with greens so for a week now I have alternated evenings with seeds and or avocado but tonight I really hit the seeds and guess what...I feel VERY GOOD now. So I dont have any regrets. Seeds are really very good when germinated vs eating them unsoaked, I like the flavor better after theyve been soaked and dried out in the collinder. Ive been learning to listen to my body and for some reason seeds were what was being asked for, I dont know could have just been binging?? I am not worried about weight gain , Im 160 and have maintaind 160 now for over a month.
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: seeds
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:35AM

Well, I'm a big seed fan myself. I eat soaked sesame seeds and sunflower seeds almost everyday. I'm like you - I like them a lot better after soaking them, usually overnight.

In my opinion, your instincts on this are right. Since you're feeling good after you ate the seeds, your body was probably in need of something the seeds have. In fact, you might experiment with eating a few more than a handful a day, and maybe you won't end up eating so much at one time.

I eat about 1/2 cup (before soaking) total seeds almost every day, plus a half to a whole avocado and a LOT of fruit, and I only weigh 93.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 04:36AM by suncloud.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:38PM

Soaked sunflower and sesame seeds are FABULOUS. Try black sesame if you can. I've found it's easier to eat a gigantic bowl of soaked sunflower seeds... soaking does make them easier to digest and supposedly awakens some dormant nutrition.

I tried some soaked pumpkin seeds the other day, and they were unusually sweet. O.o

If your body wants them, it probably needs them, so don't be shy. As long as you don't keep packing them down after you feel full, you should be fine.

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:26PM

I love seeds and I feel so much better eating them...actually I am eating some sunflower seeds right now - yummy smiling smiley I was eating them soaked before but have not had much time to soak them lately. I have read a lot about how it is not good to eat seeds and nuts not soaked...and that if they are soaked then the skin needs to be taken off which takes forever - is this true? Would love to hear how long you all soak your sunflower and pumpkin seeds and if you take the skin off....also is there anyway to make them crunchy after soaking without dehydrating?

Thanks ;-)

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:35PM

Hey,

Yesterday i decided to not eat much fruit i only had about 4-5 apples all day but i also had 3 salads throughout the day and a green smoothie for breakfast, i had 2 onzes of flaxseeds with each of my salads so 6 onzes total, and last night when it was time for bed i got really hot and almost sweaty and i had to drink a pint or two of water which didnt make me feel a whole lot better, i must have drank about 2 pints throughout the day also. And this morning i was craving fruit badly and had to go straigt out and buy some.
It was quite weird because i have read that flaxseeds are anti-inflammatory and high in omega 3 so i actually thought they would have a cooling affect on the body, i did have alot of salad with the seeds so im suprised if i got dehydrated.

Also, i tryed soaking flaxseeds the other day and the next day the seeds were covered in a type of jelly after i drained them, not sure what i can do with these now, i usually grind them up in my coffee grinder, i did read that seeds have to be soaked to neutralize enzyme inhibitors.
Does anyone else soak there flaxseeds ?
And if so how do you do this and what do you do with them afterwards ?

Thank you, Paulie.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:03PM

just throw them into a smoothie or whatever it is you're making with them after you soak them. flax and chia are gelatinous seeds, they get gooey with soaking. that's what makes them such good binders in things like raw pie crust, burgers, bread and crackers.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:12PM

I don't want Seeds as much as I do Grains. My Green Smoothies always have Corn and either Oats or Wild Rice Blend. I guess I'll just have to pass through that Phase on my way to Perfection......WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 08:14PM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Posted by: paulieGB ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:31PM

So do flaxseeds need to be soaked to neutralize enzyme inhibitors ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables