Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

shatkama
Posted by: Haida ()
Date: January 30, 2008 04:32PM

I have decided to do a certain yoga exercise for cleansing. I feel I should do a cleanse, but dont want to take herbs because Im still nursing; so the Shatkama (sp.?). After doing a series of postures you drink salt water and run to the toilet, I think about 8 times. After thats all over you are supposed to eat a dish of rice and splitpeas that has been cooked a certain way to line the stomach. As much as I loved that dish when I ate cooked foods, I dont want to eat it having been raw for a couple of months. Any ideas of a raw dish I could substitute with?

Haida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shatkama
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:56PM

this doesn't sound like a good idea to me while nursing. i wouldn't cleanse now at all, the toxins released will go straight into the milk.
how about just a 1.5 day fast? that's where you have a light breakfast, no lunch or dinner, no breakfast the next day followed by a light lunch and dinner.
or just juice all day long. gives your digestive system a rest while still providing you with the nutrients you need to make good milk.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:31PM

I like the juice idea, or you could do a mono-fruit fast--you would get plenty of nutrients for the baby and it wouldn't be too strong.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:41PM

hey haida

you'll have a yoga baby smiling smiley

heh... i've heard of little kids doing yoga and they end up being very grounded
happy and bright ( or that may be a fable but its what i read in a yog magazine smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2008 09:05PM

My daughter is 19months and would really like to cleanse. Since going mostly raw the cleansing process started I guesss; my face is not as smooth as it use to be. I thought cleansing would help. Going without eating is not a good option for me. I believe I am hypoglycemic, Im one of those people that need to eat something every couple of hours, or I get very unbalanced. Perhaps I will try the fruit day. Or maybe a fruit and juice day.

Thanks for the input.

La_veronique,
I do yoga every morning, and the baby will walk up to my yoga mat and do her own version of the poses Im doing. Very cute!

Haida

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: January 30, 2008 10:06PM

I know when you come off the Master Cleanse (which has a salt water flush component, just like shatkama) you're supposed to do one day of orange juice only, then the next day do raw green salads (veggies only, lemon juice, no salt) and then a mild veggie soup in the evening (cooked). But after 11 days I did the OJ one day, the raw green salads the next day, and then started incorporating other raw fruits and veggies in on the 3rd day and also took a probiotic supplement to get my intestinal bacteria back in force for about 7 days. By the 4th day i was eating a "normal" raw diet (ha!) and I experienced no problems.

when i started raw and after about 2 months my face and neck and chest broke out, i went to see an ayurvedic practitioner who announced i had parasites (!!!) and gave me an herbal mixture with black walnut. cleared it right up, i have to say.

other people have had success with cucumber juice, as cucumber is great for your skin.

good luck!

Date: January 30, 2008 11:19PM

I know about back walnut, but am certainly not taking that while nursing.
Thanks for the ideas on the diet maui_butterfly.

Haida

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables