Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Soup cravings
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 31, 2008 05:59PM

It is -20 C and I am dying for something warm.

I've also been packing down the tomatoes and young coconuts lately, which are sources of raw sodium.

I broke down and got some Thai lemongrass soup. Just broth and cooked veggies, but still very dead. I don't even want something HOT--I had to put two big ice cubes in a tiny bowl, because it burned my throat and tongue. I just want something *warm*.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

I suppose I could make my own soups, either something creamy-like in the blender, or make my own broth with raw veggies and just heat them on the stove until they're warm (so I can still stick my fingers in). I've never done that, though. Is it viable?

Any ideas, suggestions? I definitely don't like the bloating/feeling of thirst/anxiety/sluggishness that followed the soup... but I enjoyed every second of the warmth and saltiness. Even though it was bad, bad, bad salt, I'm sure. Blah. >.<

I understand I could have an underlying mental connection with cold weather = soup, but there have been other times when I wished I could have safely heated this or that raw meal, even slightly (I don't have a dehydrator). AND the tomatoes/coconuts I think give some weight to my sodium cravings.

GROOOOOOOOOOOO~~~ (cry of the Bloated Walrus)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soup cravings
Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:20PM

Are you sure you have a good idea what you're craving? A raw soup can be made pretty warm without being cooked. If this doesn't really satisfy your craving then you might want to give it some more thought.

Do you crave the floppy cooked texture of the vegetables? Is it an emotional desire to have soup when you're cold? Is it the spices/flavors that you miss?

When I make raw soups I prefer veggies that have softer textures, like chopped mushrooms and shredded cabbage, because crunchy textures in my soups still feel unnatural to me.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 31, 2008 08:43PM

It sounds like you are doing well!

No one is stopping you from making your own fresh soups...from fruits and/or vegetables and nuts....and sprouts...and then just adding hot water...you know? You'll have to experiment and find recipes that are right for you.

-If you are not 100% raw....then it's not a big issue. You can always make your own soup base with vegetable purees....add warm water....and then add sprouts or nuts or veggies or whatever....and gobble up. Or use non-raw sauces or condiments to make your soup base.....or spicy stuff....if that is going to allow you to eat more fresh fruits and veggies that you prepared yourself. Its all about consciously choosing your diet. Remember there are no raw food police (just cheap security guards!) LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 02, 2008 04:04AM

I'm very proud of myself. Today I made my first raw soup, and just heated it on the stove until it felt warm to my fingertips. It satisfied me in all the good ways without any of the bad. XD

And I was REALLY itching to go get soup from somewhere, even against my better judgment. I'm so glad I didn't cheat, and now I have a new recipe!

It was thai lemongrass... Just some young coconut meat/water pureed with avocado and lime juice, and a pinch of red chili. And lemongrass. I added mostly Chinese greens... Floppy veggies are definitely great for soup. The leftovers are letting their flavors mingle in a happy dance in my tupperware as we speak!

The next frontier might be pumpkin curry... :O

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: February 04, 2008 03:53AM

When I want something warm, (which almost everyday in the winter) I just heat up water and add powdered ginger or lemon/lime juice and a sweetner like agave nectar. I'm so lucky, because of my distiller, I often don't even have to heat up the water since it is already warm and freshly made. I never heard of the Master Cleanse/Lemonade Diet when I was growing up, but I just naturally added bottled lemon juice and honey to my distilled water. I love warm lemonade!

I've never made it, but the Boutenkos had a celery soup recipe in one of their books,and celery is salty. I don't have that book anymore. Celery sounds like a cheap, SALTY base for a soup and then add whatever other flavors you want tomato and dried tomato come to mind,,Now would you take the strings out when you make it?

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 04, 2008 03:11PM

I am on a Boutenko cream of celery soup kick right now. It is really good.

I love soup too. I sprout garbanzos and add them to a soup with chopped zucchini, carrots, corn, celery, red bells and onion and I make a broth from soaked sun dried tomatoes and the soak water, fresh tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and lots of oregano and warm it up. It satisfies my craving for minestrone. Some say sprouted garbanzos don't digest well but they do for me. They make the soup hearty and I really need that at times.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 06, 2008 12:05AM

I confess to having a bowl of hot vegetable soup on occasion. It's really great when it's cold outside. I use tomato, basil, onion, celery, carrot, cabbage and add red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper when it's done.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 06, 2008 12:26AM

I like going to sauna to warm up. smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2008 12:46AM

ooh, all the soup recipes were starting to sound pretty good but YUM a Sauna! i'd take that over a bowl of soup any day. we're going to the salt water pool on friday, there's a sauna there... i'm going to cook myself in it. mmMMmmMmmmmMmmM. coco pudding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables