Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nutrition values (calories) of sprouted beans and nuts?
Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:55AM

For example, do sprouted chick peas have the same amount of calories as cooked ones?
What about sprouted almonds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nutrition values (calories) of sprouted beans and nuts?
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:41AM

Legumes have less when sprouted...maybe 50 cal a cup. Almonds I don't know. They are probably more similar to the non-sprouted version.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:00AM

It depends on how long the sprout is. The longer the sprout, the more the nutrient profile becomes leaf-like rather than legume-like. That little sprout is consuming some of the stored energy in the legume as it grows.

The USDA nutrient database is very sketchy in this regard. They have very limited data for sprouted legumes and they don't include sprout length.

Date: February 19, 2008 05:48PM

thats what i tought for the legumes....

For the sprouted almonds, i heard they were about half caloric compared to the normal ones

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 12:03AM

Yes, I can see how they vary significantly based on various factors.

This is where my guestimate is from--I asked Dr. Joel Fuhrman (who advocates a high-raw diet, with non-starchy veggies as the base) this question and he analyzed some beans in his lab--I believe they were kidney beans. You can't eat them raw, but that particular cup was 50 calories and of higher nutrient value. So the basic idea is that they are lower in calories and high in nutrients, just like what arugula said about them becoming more leaf-like.

Wow, that really makes me want to sprout some raw almonds.

Date: February 20, 2008 12:09AM

sprouted almonds are soooooo good!!
you cant sprout them for too long though, or else they will turn rancid...
I usually soak them overnight, drain them at morning and eat them in the evening... the taste of the almond really improves when sprouted!!! mium mium!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 20, 2008 12:28AM

I have been seeking these answers for quite some time. If I can ever find a good source, I will totally post it here for everyone.

Meantime, I'll just dance around and eat my raw chickpea curry.

I found one sketchy source somewhere that said "mature sprouts" for chickpeas, and it was around 50 cal/cup, with incredibly higher nutrition stats than the cans at the grocery store. No other types of sprouts, though. >.<

I also find longer bean sprouts and vegetabley sprouts tastier, and more agreeable with my stomach, as I suppose they are. I hate grains when they green, though, ick. tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables