Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Meeting Caloric Requirements for Pregnancy
Posted by: oshinn ()
Date: February 22, 2008 07:11PM

When I was eating raw previously, I noticed that I needed fewer calories, around 1200-1300 daily, and I didn't feel tired. I assumed this was because my body adjusted, was using food more efficiently, and got more nutrients from what I DID eat. Now, however, I'm pregnant, and 2000 is recommended, at least, if not 2500, to support the foetus. Even on days when I pig out on raw food I can't seem to eat 2,000 calories worth of it, since fruits and veggies are mostly low in calories anyway, and I don't want to eat too many of the high-fat, high-calorie foods like avocados and nuts.

Has anyone had a difficulty with this before? I'm planning on checking out the recipe section, too, but one of the benefits of raw foods is the low calorie content. Will I just have to eat large amounts of food from now on? Should I chance it and eat cooked things like lentils to add protein and calories, or only go partly raw until the end of the pregnancy?

I know the problem with not getting enough calories during pregnancy has more to do with nourishing the foetus- if your body is starving, the baby will starve too. However, one could argue- rightly- that despite only eating 1200 calories per day, I get a lot more vitamins than I was before at 1800 or 2000 per day. Still, it's a baby, the most precious thing in my life, and I don't want to damage it in any way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Meeting Caloric Requirements for Pregnancy
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 22, 2008 08:36PM

I was just about to post this. I'm the exact same boat. I'm getting ready to get some supplements because I am just at a loss.
I also find that I don't have much of an appetite and have to really stuff myself to get in even the 1200 calories a day that I've been getting. I know I have to do more and it seems like I'm ending up eating cooked food to get there and even dairy which I'd really rather not do.

Any raw moms with ideas for us?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 08:52PM

My raw ideas: Sprouted legumes and grains and high-sugar fruits.

If needed: steamed veggies, legumes, and whole grains

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 22, 2008 09:33PM

bananas are calorie dense. 3 medium bananas has the same amount of calories as a medium avocado. 1 cup of dried apricots has more calories than a medium avocado. for me its easier to consume loads of calories in smoothie form than just eating unadulterated fruit and greens, so if thats true for you, blend away!

i mostly advise you to stay tuned in to your body... don't worry about starving your baby, long before your body withholds any nutrients from the baby there will be signs in YOU -- the feedback loop kicks in to high gear when your pregnant (which is why you will likely experience increased hunger, cravings, etc.) -- its just your job to pay attention to it! just be open to what comes up for you in spite of what your mind's ideas are about 80-10-10/low fat diets... if you are craving fats and high calorie nuts and seeds, consider that your body might be needing those things to support and nourish your baby. it seems to me healthy fats are good during pregnancy. an avocado is indeed high in fat, but it is also high in nourishment. the brain is made mostly from fat. studies show that eating omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids in proper balance leads to better brain development, higher IQ, greater alertness and calmness of mind in babies. i would think that it would be pretty important that pregnant mothers consume these essential fats for fetal development.

as an aside, while i was pregnant my awesome Filipino neighbors would often bring me young coconuts to drink, because the coconut water is supposed to be one of the best things for you when you are pregnant. i always felt amazing drinking that coconut water, really nourished. check it out if you can!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 09:36PM by maui_butterfly.

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:07PM

Probably the only thing that you might do to damage the beautiful life growing within is...

...Worrying about damaging the beautiful life growing within.

You are obviously doing your Best, with a big capital B.

Have a little faith in the rest of the universe and brotherhood of man and all that jazz.

Let go of all the "Oh Nooo!" thoughts and relax.

There are good people out there/here....who are working in ways you cannot imagine to right the wrongs/pain/indecency/non-lovingness of this world.

I am one of them.

Hopefully getting the job done before s/he's born, but if not, s/he can chip in too!

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables