Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

organic budget
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:18AM

Due to budget constraints, we cannot afford to get everything organic. I'm wondering what you consider to be the most important things to get organic? ie what foods are sprayed more than others?
I'm guessing all grains, nuts, leafy greens, brassica (broccoli), strawberries and grapes should always be organic. What about bananas? Avocadoes? Peaches? Oranges? Carrots? Other fruits and veggies?
What foods would you definitely choose organic over others?
Thanks
smiling smiley Grayzie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: organic budget
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:27AM

There is a great list that someone posted on an earlier thread about this...it might take some searching.

I think thicker skinned stuff is better...berries, peaches etc, not so good.

Maybe someone will post the list again.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2008 04:23AM

a really good list here, read the details.
[www.foodnews.org]

the biggest gmo crops are tomato, potato, corn, wheat, soy.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 23, 2008 07:06AM

that is a fascinating list, thank so much! I guess it's similar in Australia? I wonder how I could find out??

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 23, 2008 08:37AM

Hi Grayzie,

I don't think it's dependent on location as much as it is related to the persistence of the pesticide residue on the fruit/veggie as well as the amount and type of pesticide that the farmers are using... this last aspect may vary a bit by location because of different pesticide restrictions by country. I would tend to be more wary of chemically grown fruits/veggies from developing nations because the industrialized world tends to dump surpluses of restricted chemicals into those markets... a disgusting practice, not only for the people of those nations, but for everyone because that sprayed food finds it's way all around the world. Scary

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 23, 2008 11:22AM

Just a thought:

-Don't panic over buying expensive organic produce. It is not a 'rite of entry' into healthy eating. Most people can experience 99.9% of the life-changing benefits from eating conventional and home-grown produce. Just my opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 23, 2008 04:43PM

Carsick actually apples typically have among the highest levels of pesticide. Check out the website coco lists above. Its a very comprehensive list.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:48AM

It's a cost/benefit analysis. Apples are some of the worst fruits to eat conventionally--organic apples are usually reasonably priced, and you can easily tell if they are bad.

Organic mangoes: once I stocked up on some $2/piece little buggers, and the entire bag was rotten. That's my last time with organic mangoes, barring someone donating me about ten million dollars.

Raw has totally transformed my life in countless positive ways, and I did it all non-organic.

Just never, ever, ever get GM. X.X

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 26, 2008 02:08AM

Organic is for wealthy people. Better to eat mostly conventional f+v than to eat only organic and include more of other things.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:59PM

Organic apples are $2.99/lb here right now, in an APPLE-GROWING state. Yet farmers are going broke because the big box stores are buying them for $11 a crate (those GIANT wood boxes you see on trucks) overseas, rather than pay the $14/crate asking price here.

I think for most people in this country getting food, period, is a struggle financially, much less organic, as much as I agree that food should be bought organically. Just think of the impact if everyone would just plant ONE fruit tree or grow ONE type of vegetable, and then TRADE it straight across for other produce. We could completely eliminate the middleman and the $$ factor.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables