Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blended Salad
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 01, 2008 11:57PM

I was just reading an article and the author mentioned blended salad and I realized I had never had one. Oh, Ive had lots of Green Smoothies but not just greens blended. I put some ice in my VM and poured enough water in to cover the blades and then started it. Then I pushed 9 oz of baby spinach through the top and blended it smooth. It was good. Does anyone blend just greens regularly ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blended Salad
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:57AM

I always have to add a bit of lime when I do. Although - I haven't actually blended, come to think of it. Before my vitamix, I would wake up and juice a salad and have to add lemon or lime. I am going to try to blend. Hmmmm. Did your salad have onions?

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:05AM

i make lots of blended soups, usually some variation on: juice of 1 lemon, 1 cucumber, bunch of spinach, bunch of dill or cilantro, 1 celery stalk and maybe a tomato... i might eat it creamy or gazpacho style with diced up veggies such as zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet red pepper, or avocado.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:53AM

Me, too, like maui_butterfly. They can be like V-8 but much better. I suspect it's similar to Ann Wigmore's energy soups--the original green smoothies, but no sweet fruit. She inspired Victoria Boutenko. But I've never actually seen a recipe for one of her energy soups, so I don't know.

Date: March 02, 2008 06:04AM

ann wigmore's energy soup:

Rejuvelac
Seaweed (dulse)
Rejuvelac Sprouts - mung beans, green peas, lentils (one handful is a good amount)
A large amount of a variety of organic greens
Peeled apples or watermelon, including rind, or papaya alfalfa

"Generally, I do not like to specify amounts and measurements - use your own judgment and allow for your own creativity. It’s best to occasional add different ingredients such as peeled cactus, sweet potatoes or carrots, but the basic ingredients should be included. The most important elements and the ones that you will use in the largest quantity are the greens." - dr. ann wigmore

NOTE: rejuvelac is out of favor these days, i think...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:47PM

maui_butterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> NOTE: rejuvelac is out of favor these days, i
> think...

definitely out of favour, as are seed yogurt and seed cheeze. too much unhealthy bacteria, unavoidably.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:48PM

Yes, and I have heard from many sources that her soups did not taste so great.

Date: March 02, 2008 06:43PM

hahahaha... it doesn't sound so hot, does it?

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:00PM

I love raw veggie soups. I eat them at least three times a week.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 02, 2008 08:00PM

I just made my blended salad. I only have a regular blender right now. After getting the greens blended, it worked just fine.

I remembered someone saying they filled the blender with water to just cover the blades. Then I added about half the blender filled with mixed greens, including spinach and blended it. Then I added tomato, cucumber, red and orange peppers, a drizzle of olive oil, tahini, walnuts and a teaspoon of agave. I meant to add carrots but I forgot. It was quite good actually. It made a lot so I'm going to have to learn how to portion it out when I'm making it

I considered putting some (Mexican) avocado in it but something wasn't right about it. It tasted like perfume and was inedible. What happened to it?

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: March 03, 2008 05:16AM

I've tried blending lots of salad combinations in the Vita-Mix. Leafy greens are fine, but you need to be careful when adding more flavorful or spicy ingredients like lemon, garlic, ginger, and even things like beets. The Vitamix releases so much more of what is inside the cells that it acts like a "flavor amplifier". Salads that taste delicious when eaten in their conventional form can be overpowering when blended up. Garlic and cayenne pepper take on especially "killer" intensity, of course.

Sometimes I drink those things, anyway, but you can literally feel your whole body reacting to their potency. Sometimes I've had chills down the spine, goosebumps, and rushes of blood to the head in reaction to the intensity of VitaMix blended veggie salads! I believe these foods have powerful, and often medicinal, effects on us when consumed that way --sometimes you can feel them "working" for quite a while after drinking them-- but when they become like "liquid bitter" or "liquid hot", getting them down can be a bit of a challenge. Powerful stuff!

More conservative blends can be truly delicious, though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables