Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sproutable rice?
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 10, 2008 08:46PM

I just bought some lundberg Wehani brown rice. It looks to me like it just came off the plant! Not sure what to look for on the packaging to indicate this but it looks pretty raw to me.Is this soakable/sproutable?

Er, if so, then what? smiling smiley

I didn't really have a plan when I bought it.

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sproutable rice?
Posted by: No5 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 08:54PM

Yes. Lundberg Wehani is the only rice I've found in stores that sprouts reliably. I usually mix it with sprouted mung beans for raw khichdi.

Rinse and then soak the rice overnight. Rinse it again the next morning. Rinse it again the next evening. Rinse it again the next morning. There should be little tails on the rice by lunch or dinner time that last day.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 10, 2008 08:56PM

Thanks! I've never done mung beans either. In fact I can never even find them. I will probably have to check at the health food place.

-DaveK

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 10, 2008 09:36PM

IIRC Tom Billings also said Lundberg Wehani was the only sproutable rice. Might have to google for his sprouting article to check if there are others.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 10, 2008 11:30PM

I've sprouted "forbidden rice". It looks very cool and tastes great too. Very nutty with a purplish color. It has always sprouted fine for me.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: March 13, 2008 09:15AM

1. Are there laws about pasturizing rice? (I thought there were so you could not get "raw" rice)

2. Is this rice "real" rice or is it a wild rice? (Wild rice is an aquatic plant that looks similar but AFAIK is not related closely.)

3. Is it organic?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables