Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw vegan party food for SADs
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 13, 2008 12:48AM

I am having a party at my house soon for some SADs. I want to put out platters of cut up fruit and vegetables, but I am undecided as to what kind of dips I should provide. Does anyone have any tried and true hits, or other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw vegan party food for SADs
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 13, 2008 01:29AM

guacamole! and this one goes over well at my house (but that's mostly among the 5 year old set...): macadamia nuts blended with orange juice, dill, 1 clove of garlic, 1 date, and some salt

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 01:32AM

How about making some fresh salsa and guacamole? I like tomatoes, tomatillo, red bell pepper, lime and cilantro in my salsa. Guacamole could be just be just avos and lemon juice.

Here's a herb dressing I like:

Juice 4 small valencia oranges. Blend with 1/4 cup ground hemp seeds, 1/8 cup ground sundried tomatoes, a handful of cilantro, and perhaps 1/2 red bell pepper.

You could spice it up with stronger herbs.

Date: March 13, 2008 01:53AM

Thanks, they all sound great, yes I definitely planned on guac and salsa. Does anyone have any ideas for a sweet dip as well? I was thinking of something with almond, coconut, citrus and maybe a little cinnamon but I am not sure what other fruit would blend best with those flavors. Peaches, maybe?

Date: March 13, 2008 02:12AM

i'd go for date-avocado-banana-cinnamon-nutmeg but you'll want to add a bit of lime juice in there for oxidation/browning. sounds like a good dip for apples!

or are you a carob person? date-avocado-walnut-carob would be a pretty knock-out combo, i think.

Date: March 13, 2008 02:16AM

Yes, I do carob. And yes, it sounds yum!

Date: March 13, 2008 02:40AM

if you want to actually do dessert, making little truffles out of this recipe is REALLY FAB:

1 C dates
1 C raisins
2 C walnuts
1/4 to 1/2 C. carob (to taste)
splash of vanilla(or scrape of vanilla pod) & dash of salt

roll into 3/4" balls. roll in coconut, crushed walnuts, cinnamon, or some of each. set on a plate in the fridge to chill.

watch out for the stampede.

Date: March 13, 2008 02:47AM

Droolish.

The best things about this is are 1. these people will get turned on to raw food and 2. I get to eat the leftovers.

But I am going to have to spend some bucks, that's for sure.

Date: March 13, 2008 02:50AM

i know, its tough laying out all my hard-earned raw foods for folks who will enjoy it, but probably would have appreciated something from sara lee a lot more! smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:05PM

My boyfriend hosted an art show at the end of February. I'm sure I was the only raw foodist there. His mom (not raw either!) had the great idea to set out tables of snacks--all veggie platters, mixed peppers, celery, onions, carrots. Everyone at the party commented how healthy and pretty the snacks were, and we ran out before the night was over!

Just don't TELL them that it's healthy... just set something beautiful out, lie low, and people will ask for more. =) I think most people operate on principles of convenience and pleasure when it comes to food.

Date: March 14, 2008 04:13PM

My dad, who absolutely LOVES the way I eat, thinks I should order pizza.

smiling smiley

I'll make the food pretty and refrain from commenting on how good it is for the body.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables