Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

starting my sprouting
Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:37PM

All right guys. I have decided to start sprouting using mason jars. I am planning to buy a bunch of seeds from the sproutpeople.

Now, I am not sure what to buy or what I even like.

Here are a few seeds I had in mind
a) Mung
b) Rice
c) Broccoli

Now on their website, there is a huge selection of seeds (including samplers). I am not even sure what to buy from the samplers! I want to buy as much as a beginner should buy to save on time as well as shipping.

What do you guys recommend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starting my sprouting
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:44PM

Hi.
I use the mason jars,with the plastic mesh lids you can buy at most any health food store.They work great.(for small batches of sprouts)
I personally sprout mung beans,alfalfa,and brocolli seeds.
The alfalfa is the most common that you will see sprouted,and whats in most supermarkets.The mung bean usually is available in supermarkets too,but what you will usually get is the long white tail and not the bean itself.
As far as taste,the brocoli is pretty bitter.Dont plan to eat those alone by themselves.The mung and alfalfa have a nicer flavor,somewhat nutty in taste.
Good luck!

Date: March 17, 2008 03:34PM

Thanks Raw.

Currently, these are the items in my shopping cart. Do you think they are too much for a first time sprouter?

Thanks.

Peanut peanut 1 lbs

Almonds alm 1 lbs

Micro-Greens Sampler microsamp

Greens Sampler greensamp

Grain Sprout Sampler grainsamp

Brassica Sprout Sampler brassamp

Date: March 17, 2008 04:13PM

Hmmm..
I am not quite familiar with some of those products.
I buy alfalfa seeds,and mung beans from a local health food store.
I put about a tablespoon of each into my jars,and they grow to fill the jars.
I usually rinse and drain about 3 times a day.
When the jar is full,I put them in plastic bags in the fridge.
I personally would start with alfalfa seeds to get a feel for how fast they grow,how much you have to rinse,etc...
Then try the mung beans.
Thats only if you are totally new to sprouting.
Hope my info helps.
Brian

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 17, 2008 07:07PM

Of the things you list, I think the micro-greens will be the most difficult to sprout. I certainly don't want to discourage you, but I would make sure you have read the notes on sproutpeople about growing micro-greens and are comfortable with the idea before you invest. Also note that the brassica sampler contains some micro-greens too.

Overall your list looks like a very manageable amount, and a good variety of types which should give you a good idea of the types of sprouts you'd like to grow in greater quantities.

good luck!

Date: March 17, 2008 07:09PM

Thanks Brian and Frances.

Frances, since the amount I will be investing for the micro greens is not much, I shall go for it. I can always give it a shot and see what happens.

Let me buy this pack then!

Date: March 17, 2008 10:03PM

broccoli is actually a bit tricky to sprout, i would recommend that for when you have a bit more practice actually. usually i just say go with alfalfa for the first time round, they are very friendly and easy to grow sprouts to begin with.

may i ask why peanuts?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables