Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kudzu
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 03:36PM

This may be a good way to grow your own Greens. It's a voracious climbing Vine. I remember it from my working days in Georgia. It was planted for Soil Erosion and was taking over the whole State.
I guess it's grown from Cuttings. Does anyone know for sure?.......WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kudzu
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2008 03:48PM

uh, it sounds like an uncontrollable invasive plant species. more bad than good i'm afraid.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 19, 2008 06:03PM

Yes, Very invasive! This plant will root from even a tiny length of stem thrown on the ground and will soon choke out all other plant life. Once it is established it's almost impossible to control and besides, I'm not sure that the greens are good to eat, though I know that the root is used much like corn starch.

I have worked for many years as a conservationist in the native forests of Maui and the single biggest threat to the native forest and watersheds are invasive species. When these species are introduced from other places, they establish themselves without the context of the other organisms that usually keep their growth in check. Too often these species become aggressive colonizers and choke out the slower growing native species. In the last 5 years I have personally witnessed habitat loss on a heartbreaking scale and have sadly witnessed the extinction of at least 2 native Hawaiian plants.

I beg of you, do not try to cultivate this plant! Furthermore, for anyone reading this who likes to travel and hike, please be sure to thoroughly clean all of your gear after each hike and before traveling to a new location. Seeds can get stuck in the treads of hiking boots or stuck to velcro, or hide just about anywhere. In West Maui we are battling an invasive weed from South America, that it is thought to have arrived here on an unsuspecting hikers gear. In 1984 a local botanist noticed it growing along a hiking trail. That was the first record of the plant in Maui and now it covers 1000's of acres and has caused the extinction of at least a dozen native species. Like kudzu, this plant can spread by seed or vegetative cuttings and there is no known control method.

I hate to be so alarmist, but this is a serious issue. Please think and do research before bringing potentially invasive species into the native habitat.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2008 06:26PM

i hear you, we have purple loostrife here choking all the wetlands, it's terrible for the local creatures.
you can eat that one that WY posted though, most of the plant is edible.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:22PM

Thanks for all the good advice. It'll be no Kudzu for me......WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables