Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Asthma worse during first raw week
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: March 16, 2008 07:45PM

hello

I have dabbled in raw for several years and maintained about 75%, while the other 25% was pretty unhealthy behavior. After several attempts, I am in my 7th day of 100% and I'm finding it easy to do. I have asthma that is usually triggered by food allergens or chemicals; I am finding myself wheezing for the past two days constantly. I am curious and wondering if that truly is a detox symptom as well, even though I am not eating offending foods. I didn't want to use the inhaler that much but am finding it quite necessary to regain my breath and hope it doesn't interfer too much. Any comments on asthma, lungs, that sort of healing during detox would be most welcomed!

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Asthma worse during first raw week
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 16, 2008 08:21PM

Here's an interesting article titled "The Healing Crisis":

[www.falconblanco.com]

Date: March 16, 2008 10:27PM

hi EZ,

Thanks for posting this, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. That's the kind of info and reassurance I was seeking. Great article.

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 17, 2008 04:08PM

My husband had asthma. He was using the meds (inhaers) for several years. After he went raw, it took few minths and then he started "needing" less meds. Initially lots of mucus came out and that irritated the lungs and nasal passages so he felt like the asthma was becoming worse. But after that he felt better.

I read something important about asthma and I shatred that with my husband and it has helped him very much. Here's what I read. It is NOT just what we eat but the quantity of food that we eat impacts asthma very much.

For example, if he eats and stomach full (really full, havy meal - cooked or otherwise) he feels heaviness in lungs and it gets hard to breathe.

It is always recommended to eat several "small" raw meals frequentky if one has asthma.

If eating cooked meal, it is better that it is free of dairy and it is "very small".

What helped him was "juice fasting". He would only drink fresh fruit and veg juices and after several days of that, the asthma was almost gone. He stopped all inhalers after teh juicve fast.

I hope this helps. Small raw meals frequently, or juice fasting if that's ok for you to do should really help.

Take care
A Iyer

Date: March 20, 2008 11:45PM

it does help and thank you. i will be doing just that tomorrow.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:27AM

I don't think it's detox, I suspect an intolerance. Raw proteins tend to be bigger triggers than cooked ones for those who have intolerances. You'd have to go on a drastic elimination diet with 2-3 basic foods that you know you tolerate for certain. Then very slowly add one additional food type at a time to see how you react. You'd probably get very skinny in the meantime. Might help to get patch tests from a doctor. Or do them yourself, gently rubbing a bit of the food on your skin or mucous membranes to see how you react.

Date: March 21, 2008 01:16PM

hi Arugula, that's interesting because I did eliminate wheat and corn last fall, and other typical allergens. I know how to go thru the elimination diet so I will keep that in mind.

However, the good news is I woke up today with no asthma smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables