Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food fixes Acid Reflux?
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 21, 2008 07:56PM

Has anyone else had this experience?

My husband is not much of a poster so I'm relaying a lot of his experiences here as well as mine. He has had acid reflux for a good 10 years if not more. For years he would wake up and literally throw up every single day. He's taken Prevacid twice a day for as long as we've been together and popped Tums like candy and still had terrible heartburn. He went to a doctor about getting the surgery that fixes that(I'm not sure what it's called) and they told him his heartburn was so severe that surgery would only fix it for about a year before he would have to get it again.
Since we went raw his heartburn has nearly disappeared and I think the only reason it hasn't completely is because we are not 100% raw yet. He no longer takes Prevacid and only pops a few Tums a day. It's such a world of difference. We used to stay home and he would lay in bed on his side and just be in constant pain. He's called into work countless times because of unbelievably painful heartburn. There have been SO many things he and then of course we have missed out on because of the pain he's been in.
And now it's all gone. It's the most amazing thing. The higher we up the percentage of raw in his diet the less tums he needs, the less pain he is in. Even being vegan doesn't do it, because we are both vegans now with just a bit of cooked food...occasional steamed veggies, pita bread and what not. It's definitely the raw food thing, it's so wonderful
I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else has had the same experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food fixes Acid Reflux?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:02PM

I think its more the foods that are omitted that cause the acid reflux rather than the raw food diet. It is possible to heal acid reflux on a cooked vegan diet also, as well as on a low fat vegetarian diet or a low fat SAD diet.

But it is necessary to cut out the foods that create the acidic condition, or at least eat them at a level that is beneath the body's capacity to handle them.

That being said, the raw diet is an excellent way to heal this condition, and it comes with many other benefits that won't be available on the other diets. smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2008 08:10PM

It's really wonderful. I don't know when I've seen my husband happier and healthier. He's quit smoking and has lost about 15 pounds too.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:15PM

I suffer from this, too. It's incredibly annoying. Even not eating would give me heartburn. Taking Pepcid Complete every day, twice a day makes me cringe for all the metal detox that I'm going to go through later on.

I think its more the foods that are omitted that cause the acid reflux rather than the raw food diet.

I never thought of it that way. I think the tendancy is to think, "Hey, raw food cured me!" It makes all the sense in the world that it's more about the foods being omitted from my diet. Good common sense, Bryan.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:28PM

I agree with Bryan 100%.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 21, 2008 09:14PM

I wonder if there is something in the cooking process that bugs him...that's a thought I had too. It definitely seems that removing all the animal products and highly processed foods from his diet made a huge difference.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:22PM

Posted by: brenna (IP Logged)
Date: March 21, 2008 11:56AM

For years he would wake up and literally throw up every single day.

What was his diet like at that time ? Did he eat much high fiber raw food ?

Date: March 21, 2008 09:27PM

Oh god no. His family raised him in Wal Mart ground beef and other such crap. The only raw food he had was off the citrus trees in his backyard and some tabboule.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:29PM

i developed acid reflux during the last month of my pregnancy in 2003, and then had a mild but still annoying case of it until i went raw in july 2007. all fixed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables