Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone know anything about insulin resistance and fasting?
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: March 21, 2008 05:57PM

I had some tests done that confirmed insulin resistance (from being hypothyroid) and I was wondering if I could or should fast? I've gained weight and I want it off. I feel like I want to fast anyway, I have like no appetite for anything raw or cooked.

I wanted to start with the MC for 2 weeks and then go to regular juices and wheatgrass juice. I know diabetics have to use blackstrap instead of maple syrup which is gross but not sure if insulin resistance fits under there..

But I can't find any info on whether or not it would be good for it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know anything about insulin resistance and fasting?
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 06:33PM

Juice or water-fasting I can see. I wouldn't want to do any refined sugar, maple or blackstrap. I don't think there is much proven for the MC, so I don't know where you would find anything. But water fasting and insulin resistance, perhaps.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:04PM

Many people can heal their insulin resistance by lowering the fat intake to 10% of the caloric intake, or even lower. It might be easier to adopt a very low fat diet rather than to do cleanses.

Also, while a cleanse or fast may cause the condition to go away, if your habits after the fast include the original causes of the insulin resistance (the high fats), the problem will just come back.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 21, 2008 08:31PM

I agree with Bryan. Try making a lifetime change to the raw level that YOU determine is right for YOUR lifetime....and see what happens after 6 months of THAT. As Bryan pointed out, be especially concerned about reducing your fats to CHOSEN and reasonable levels, and you should achieve wonderful results. After that, you can always look into 'refining' an already healthy lifestyle of fresh fruits and vegetables, exercise, sunlight, pure air and joyful conscious/chosen living.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 22, 2008 07:23AM

I am diabetic but not insulin resistant (type 1)...but personally I wouldn't go near anything that requires me to drink vast quantities of maple syrup/molasses. I would think fasting would be better, or, like Bryan said, just really reducing the fat in your diet.

I would guess if you are insulin resistant you must also be diabetic/pre-diabetic at least????

But then I'm not a doctor! smiling smiley

Claire

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:02AM

Hi LikeItOrNot,
By "insulin resistant" are you type 2 diabetic?
in that your body recognizes carbohydrate consumption and releases insulin but the insulin receptors aren't doing their job?
which would mean in addition to large amounts of sugar in your blood, you also have large amounts of insulin in your blood that can't do what its supposed to do?

hyldemoer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables