Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

body temp dropping
Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:09PM

I did see the other post about body temps of raw foodists being lower, so this might be applicable, but didn't know if there was a need for concern.

My fever from the flu (and detox) just broke last night, after 5 days, and my temp has been going down from 97.4 to 96.4 now in the late afternoon. I haven't felt cold today - in fact it was the first day I had some energy, but not much appetite still. This freaks me a little because I am not familiar with it. Even during a raw food detox, this might be normal? I guess that is what I am trying to find out. Also, I lost 10 lbs very quickly (10 days) due to raw initially and then being so ill. thank you!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: body temp dropping
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 09:17PM

As long as you don't have hypothermia, I wouldn't worry about it smiling smiley
Lower body temp is thought to be one of the benefits of caloric restriction (even if it is unintentional CR through a raw food diet), and thought to come from having less body fat to keep hear in. I was around there before I gained ten pounds, and I wouldn't be surprised if I got there again. Think of it as having lower blood pressure, or cholesterol than "normal"--"normal" is artifically high due to SAD and its health effects.

Date: March 21, 2008 09:32PM

that makes sense! I was just googling the calorie restriction idea as that was my theory. And I am not going to go out in the snowstorm, lest I risk hypothermia today smiling smiley

I like your point about the normal averages being applicable to SAD diets. It's exactly like when they tell my boyfriend (SAD eater) his cholesterol is not "that bad" and it's still in a normal area.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 10:19PM

RawKitty,

Its normal for people who eat all raw foods to have a lower body temperature than a person eating the SAD diet. This is because cooked foods cause a detoxification response to clean out the various toxins created by the cooking process. In some way, people eating a normal diet actually have a continuous slight fever.

One response to this lower temperature is that you may feel cold at first. If so, just wear more warmer clothing and heat your living space a bit more until you are comfortable with your new body temperature.

Date: March 21, 2008 10:26PM

Thanks, Bryan. how interesting to think that as cooked we always were running fevers.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 21, 2008 11:14PM

about 6 months ago, i was at 107 lbs for 5 feet 7... I was sooooo cold, all the time, it was unbelievable.... then i put some weight back one, like 25 lbs... sad smiley

But im still cold, not like before, but alot more than other people...

When my hands are very cold, my nails turn blue... scary

Date: March 21, 2008 11:38PM

Blue nails would freak me out Mira! I wonder if it could be something else nutritionally for you? You have probably already addressed that though.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 22, 2008 01:53AM

There was a quote from some gnostic gospel I read the other day that went more or less, "Heat your food with no fire hotter than the fires of life lest your bowels should become a stinking bog." :O

My body temperature is low 36s, sometimes close to 35 if I'm very high-fruit... and WHENEVER I eat something cooked, I have 37+ temp the next morning. I always, always, always run a low-grade fever (with mild backaches, etc) if I eat cooked food now.

Fever is a response of the body trying to heal, and if we get leukocytosis every time we eat something cooked, a few degrees below normal on raw should be nothing to worry about, especially if you have no other symptoms.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 22, 2008 03:15PM

rawkitty

it DOES freak me out! but my weight is normal now, im even 5 pounds overweight, and i eat enough fat,actually i eat too much...So i dont know what the hells wrong with me...I'll take my temperature next morning

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 23, 2008 05:30PM

You might try visiting the Ask Moreless PH forum at curezone.org he talks about body ph, why eating too many foods with potassium like bananas in the winter can make our body temps lower or make us feel colder. Eating what is local to where you are makes good sense to me, but it's the ratio of minerals I believe that are helpful in getting and keeping a normal body temp. Lots of quality leafy greens have the correct ratio of minerals that our bodies need..so maybe up the green smoothies and don't add tropical fruits in most of the time at least during the colder winter months.

And then there is Seaveggies, kelp and others that may be what your body needs by way of Iodine. You could try that also.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 23, 2008 07:52PM

good idea about seaveggies. today it dropped to 94.6 and I am very dizzy. I might eat a bit of cooked, this flu and detox might be going too fast. But i won't feel guilty, I just want to see what what temp does.

Date: March 23, 2008 11:12PM

fyi, i ate a little cooked and it was right for me to do so. I can function now, and after a week of missing work, I need to function. That 94 temp really made me shakey, emotional, comotose and not a safe driver. I need to eliminate the rest of the flu symptoms too and take each day as it comes. funny thing is, for the first time I don't feel like I failed, I feel like a bit of cook was part of this process. My temp went back up two degrees then, and I was able to get some stuff done. To me, there's a big difference of controlling some of the detox severity with some steamed veggies verses hugging a bag of corn chips smiling smiley

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:48AM

sounds good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables