Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

quinoa
Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 12:22AM

is quinoa safe to sprout. i left some in some water overnite because its a superfood hoping to eat it and it had already sprouted. wondering if this grain is safe. thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: quinoa
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:25AM

Yes - and tasty...for a sprouted grass/grain. If it sits well with you, and you find it an appetizing food - then go for it!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:02AM

i let them sprout as least 3 days, the tails become very long, and its verrrry good!

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 09:26AM

thanks a lot guys...now that i know they are safe to eat, i decided why not let them sprout more. why not try three days as you suggested. cant wait to try it

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:24PM

sprouts are at optimum nutrition levels when the tail is the same length as the seed, grain, bean or legume that you are sprouting. longer is less nutritious, i only sprout quinoa for a day or two. it makes very good tabouli and sprinkled on a salad it's wonderful.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 23, 2008 03:37PM

Ahh!! Thank you, coco! I was wondering about the length of tail: nutrition ratio.

I find sprouted grains positively delectable eaten like a cereal with a sauce made of blended bananas, pear, and cinnamon.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 24, 2008 12:11AM

The problem with quinoa is that some do not sprout. Steve Meyerowitz does not recommend sprouting quinoa.
[www.sproutman.com]

I like Quinoa as a grain. It is a great nutritional seed. But I do not promote it as a sprout for three reasons: 1) It is hard to acquire the right form of the unhulled seed. Health food stores don't sell it. 2) If you are willing to invest the time to track down the right seed, often the germination is too low for successful sprouts. That leads to potential mold and rot problems, which I consider unsafe in the raw state. 3) Lastly, the sprout from 3 day old Qunioa is a relatively insignificant shoot. Not a lot of food or flavor. If you do grow it for 7 days it turns into a red grass which too chewy to eat. This grain is ready to eat with only very light cooking. I feel that this is the most practical way to include the benefits of quinoa in your diet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2008 12:13AM by madinah.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 24, 2008 01:46PM

I have sprouted quinoa only a couple of times, but I didn't have any trouble with low germination rate like Sproutman suggested. The comment about the red grass is interesting though. I was thinking of mixing a small amount of rye into my wheatgrass to get the look of red grass mixed into the green, but sproutable quinoa is cheaper and I already have some!

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: March 24, 2008 03:20PM

i heart quinoa...delicious on salads

Date: March 24, 2008 03:31PM

I usually only soak them for about an hour.
The next day they have tails already!
I do find that quinoa only last a few days in the fridge before getting funky!

Date: March 25, 2008 12:35AM

well that's odd, i have had a high success rate sprouting quinoa any time i've tried. i do respect steve's advice though so i will pay close attention next time i do it.
now millet i've not had as much luck sprouting...

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 25, 2008 01:00AM

yeah, sprouted quinoa is really the only grain i ever eat. I only soak mine for 30 minutes and it sprouts in less than a day. i've never had a problem with germination and only sprout enough to eat for a day or so.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables