Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Need advice about dental situation
Posted by: customagic ()
Date: March 23, 2008 12:45PM

I have been on and off rawfoodiest but I've just loved sweets all my life.
I had extensive dental work (bridges, root canals etc.) done by about 10 years ago and I had so much problems after my dental works. Other teeth started to hurt because of the dental work that led to further dental work and oral surgeries.
Now a lot of the work have been falling apart and there are some cavities in and around the old decays. HOWEVER I JUST DON'T WANT TO GO TO A DENTIST AGAIN. I had terrible experiences and so much trouble because of dental work. I wish I didn't have to go through what I have gone through. But at that time I had no knowledge of raw food life style and fasting etc. When I was off raw food, I consumed much sweets and now they decayed further. I am back again and although it is better, I still have a lot of problems. It's so much better when I am no juice diet but can't continue forever. Is there anything I can do without going to a dentist? Thak you so much in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advice about dental situation
Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:29PM

If I were in your situation, I would see a dentist. There's a cream/paste that they can prescribe to combat cavities.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 23, 2008 03:21PM

I can't tell you what to do about all of the surgeries, but a few weeks ago my entire mouth started ACHING and my gums would bleed like crazy. I tried every natural remedy google mentioned, and the problem cleared up in a snap with drinking 2-3 oz. of wheatgrass juice every day (I can get shots from a local smoothie bar). It might help, at least: it's disinfectant, and it's super rich in minerals that help build the mouth and keep it healthy.

I also find that ANY form of added sugar to anything I eat will make my mouth hurt in varying degrees. My body's telling me it has little to no tolerance for backsliding on the issue.

I can't say whether or not these two things will solve your problems entirely, but they will definitely help, and help you heal faster. =) Chewing cloves can numb pain, though it doesn't heal the issue, and warm sea salt water rinses keep your mouth clean.

You could also consider talking to a homeopath or some kind of alternative doctor. it may be worth a shot. I had a pretty good experience with a homeopath (in light of a lot of things in my body getting screwed up by conventional medicine).

Good luck!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 23, 2008 05:25PM

See a dental hygienist and they'll show you how to clean your teeth and mouth area. Use hydrogen peroxide in your water for your water pik before bedtime and use a water pik. Use some floss daily or those little brushes or picks and be gentle as you are cleaning. Use only pure water and or hydrogen peroxide on your toothbrush to brush with. Buy a book called Money by the Mouthful. Get some Lugol's 5% solution of Iodine from jcrows.com and use some as a mouth rinse mixed in water..just a couple drops in a glass should do it. While you are getting mouth and teeth infections under control clean and or change out your toothbrush often..at least once a month for a few months. You can use bleach and or hydrogen peroxide on it.

Visit:

[mizar5.com]

[www.ascendedhealth.com]

[www.fredericpatenaude.com]

Good luck!

Love,
Prism

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 23, 2008 06:23PM

My experience is that I have been in a similar situation...perhaps. My habits were very bad prior to me transition many years ago. Even after my transition, I had the occasional toothache.....as various artificial fillings...fell out. In any event, I did NOT go back to a doctor...but simply rinsed my mounth out with alternating salt water and cold clean water. Then I fasted until the crisis passed. I must say that I did experience quite a bad episode recently...and did use some OTC toothache cream and antiseptic mouthwash! Ha! ha! But that was just a crisis thing. People can/need/should differentiate between what one can/should do in a crisis....and how one conducts the other 99% of ones life. A 1% crisis should not negatively impact the other 99% of ones life! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 23, 2008 08:28PM

A couple of you have mentioned salt water for teeth...

That sounds interesting

How do you use it? Every day? Only when you have a dental problem?

Any specific type of salt?

Is it like an antiseptic or does it have other effects?

Hope your dental problems clear up customagic, sorry I can't give you any advice smiling smiley

Thanks

Claire

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 24, 2008 04:03AM

Find a dentist you can trust. That is sometimes as difficult as finding a auto mechanic you can trust.

A MD or DDS is a mechanic of sorts. Find one you can trust.

My dentist recommended I use a commercially available antiseptic mouthwash morning and night. I did that for a while and it did help. However, I switched to salt water (made up of about a tablespoon of celtic sea salt and warm water). The salt water seems to be working just as well as the antiseptic mouthwash so far.

Date: March 24, 2008 04:04AM

Find a dentist you can trust. That is sometimes as difficult as finding a auto mechanic you can trust.

A MD or DDS is a mechanic of sorts. Find one you can trust.

My dentist recommended I use a commercially available antiseptic mouthwash morning and night. I did that for a while and it did help. However, I switched to salt water (made up of about a tablespoon of celtic sea salt and warm water). The salt water seems to be working just as well as the antiseptic mouthwash so far.

I have fond memories of the water pik of my childhood. My siblings and I used it to spray water at each other. I didn't know there was another use!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 24, 2008 12:05PM

Right Celtic or himalayan sea salt is fine....but so is commercial...in a pinch! Heh..heh. (no pun intended). Just as needed - in my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:59PM

I know about tooth pain and problems. My teeth are real bad. I have several molars that are down to the gums and one that the gum has receded and a cavity has grown down in the root. I don't have dental insurance I think the only thing I can do is to have them pulled out and have dentures. This is what I do. I use what is called oil pulling and that really cleans out the holes and in between the teeth. You can use seasame, coconut, or sunflower oils. I swoosh about two tablespoons of oil in my mouth for about 20 minutes and rinse with warm water to get all the oil out. I do this on an empty stomach.
Wheat grass juice is excellent as well You should swoosh that in your mouth and can take some of the pulp and soak it in wheat grass juice and place it on the infected area for a while, like a poultice. I find my gums feel real good after these things are done. Eating a raw food diet is very helpful as well. You may not think of it that way but when eating the breads it gets caught in the teeth and causes some problems. It seems the raw foods help your body fight off the infection and eating cooked foods caused problems with the infection.
I would suggest you get a good dentist and get it taken care of if you have the insurance for it.

Date: March 25, 2008 12:37PM

Well, I have just bought a pot of Himalayan sea salt to use for mouthwash...

Couldn't find any Celtic salt, but lots of Atlantic which was a LOT cheaper than the Himalayan stuff I got!

Is Atlantic sea salt any good?

claire

Date: March 25, 2008 12:45PM

I think any natural salt is fine. It's the manufactured, chemical stuff (Morton's table salt, etc.) that I would avoid.

I hope this helps.

Lee

Date: March 25, 2008 03:41PM

thanks Lee

Posted by: customagic ()
Date: March 25, 2008 05:23PM

Thank you so much for responding.

I have been to a dentist and he charged $400 just to do check-up.
I have no dental insurance.
If I start going under all the dental work recommended, it will be at leaset $5000.
He is a alternative dentist too. Everything is so expensive in Manhattan.
Anyhow, beside the cost, I know that dental work doesn't work forever.
At this point, after too many of them, I just don't want to have any work done.
I know there must be ugly under all my dental works, and I just wish that I didn't have to go through the work at all.
I will continue salt rinse...I hope it doesn't give me much crisis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:24PM by customagic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables