Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nutritional content of sesame seed milk and pulp?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:57AM

Hello there, good morning!

I have been making my own sesame seed milk for the past few days, and really do enjoy the rich creaminess it adds to my banana smoothies (essentially, just bananas and water...).

Currently, I pour 200g of sesame seeds into my blender, gradually adding water until a paste is formed, then continuing to add water until the entire jug is full (approximately 1.5l), blitzing for a couple of minutes on the fastest setting.

Next, I leave the milk to sit for a little while, as I gather this helps the sesame flavour to intensify through the water, while also producing a rather delicious froth at the top of the jug.

This reasonably smooth mixture is passed through a fine net (actually intended to prevent scraps of food clogging up the sink), with the sesame milk liquid squeezed comically until only the pulp is remaining.

Chilled in the fridge, the sesame milk is delicious, however the left over pulp is...well, rather bland. I do not own a dehydrator, nor am I terribly interested in spreading the pulp all over my body. Lacking suitable alternative uses, I am afraid to say that the pulp is currently being flushed down the toilet, however in future, I intend to spread it onto a small piece of land behind the apartment.

I generally try to consume all of the fruit and vegetables that I purchase, and really hate to waste anything, hence I am rather curious about the nutritional content of the sesame seed pulp. I would expect it to contain a considerable amount of fibre and some useful proteins, yet I would also like to know how much of the fat and calories are retained by the pulp, and approximately how much is contained within the delicious milk that I am consuming.

I believe that approximately 50% of the calories in sesame seeds are from fats, and would rather think about the possibility of consuming 100g or so in the milk that I am drinking - by my rather crude estimations, this is the arguably the equivalent of consuming 1L of 10% fat cow milk!

Any insights would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
James
x

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables