Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Green ripe bananas
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 25, 2008 02:05PM

Hi,

Any of you had bananas ripen with the skin staying green? What's the problem with them? Are they still good and alive?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green ripe bananas
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 25, 2008 03:46PM

As far as I know if they are still green they are not ripe yet.They still lean toward a starch rather than a sugar.
They are ripe when they are yellow with some dark spots.
But either way they are a living food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 03:47PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 25, 2008 03:58PM

There is one type of banana that has a green cast to it, even after ripening that is fine to eat. You'll know they are good if you ever try one. But usually, if they are spotted and green I believe they have been stored improperly.

Date: March 25, 2008 05:22PM

Yes,

They are spotted and the fruit is the smoothness of a ripe one but the skin is still a little green.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:01AM

it seems like there are lots of banana varieties here in hawaii that are definitely ripe while still green, or green and brown??? i always go by feel more than color for the local varieties.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:37AM

There are many varieties in Asia also when they are green and even have the brown spots on them and some with no spots are ready to eat also.
I will eat some in a few hours they are very tasty.
If they open easy and are soft not rock hard they should be ripe.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:17AM

I have heard that organic bananas often do not turn yellow (not sure if this is true or not) but that conventional ones always do because of a certain chemical on them.

I do know fm experience that my organic bananas are most times ready to be eaten way before they are yellow. Once mine turn yellow, I have a couple of hours before they start to spot. Definitely interested to know if the chemical thing is true.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 28, 2008 12:12AM

you may be talking about "plantain" bananas.
Its a variety of bananas that remains green when ripe, and its not as sweet as the regular ones... It is communly used in African and caribbean cuisine...

Date: March 28, 2008 12:48AM

No, really, they are regular bananas I bought at the grocery store. They were in a cool dark room, so it might be the reason why.

I was googling around and found a study that was talking exactly about that as a common problem or something, but I had to pay to download a pdf to know more so I stopped there.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 28, 2008 12:49AM

Organic bananas turn yellow and then spotted and then brown and then black. :-) I like them when they are heavily spotted brown, with lots of brown patches. They are perfectly ripe (to me) at that time.

When I stayed in India many years ago, there was a fruit basket in our room that held a few very brown bananas. I was grossed out that they'd give old fruit to people and I never touched anything in the basket. Later in the trip, a woman on a boat was peeeling a very brown banana and inside it was perfectly ripe. I was so disappointed that I didn't know the bananas were okay to eat. :-(

Anyway, it's obvious from what everyone has said that different varieties ripen differently. Just be sure that the banana isn't underripe, or else it's difficult to digest.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 28, 2008 01:28PM

Chances are they were picked to early(very common) and stored improperly before you got them. Another outcome of this is a mushiness to them at times. At least Nanners are cheap and not a big loss ;O)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables