Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The ancestral human diet
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 28, 2008 08:13PM

A lot of this burning curiosity comes from the book Left In The Dark (which is awesome, I can't stress enough, thank you FunkyRob for the recommendation!)... BUT.

Even as a modern-day raw foodist, how close do you think we could possibly come to eating raw foods with similar nutritional content to our tropical diet (high in flavanoids, beta-carbolines, etc.)?

From what I understand, conventional produce is absolutely bastardized compared to wild foragibles. Would foraging help? Fruit nowadays, I read, is bred for one type of the -ose (fructose, glucose, I forget which), and lacking in the rest of the -oses in comparison to wild counterparts. We don't really eat leaves or shoots these days, either. Wild figs also get infested with tiny little bugs that are a source of B12 (!).

It's a broad question... and I'm sure it will whittle down to some practical information with enough discussion. Thanks, everyone. =)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The ancestral human diet
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 28, 2008 09:22PM

Thanks Phantom, glad you liked the book, like I said in the other thread it really changed my life!

I think it's quite difficult to get the same nutrition as our ancestral diet, but foraging for as much wild food as possible has got to help. The more I research wild food, the more I find, mostly leaves but also a good selection of berries. Try and find a good wild food book for your area - I've done a mini review of some of the wild food books on my blog here [www.rawrob.com] which is UK specific but might help (I'm assuming you are in the US for some reason, is that correct?)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 29, 2008 02:40AM

I'm in Ontario for now, with my family in Northeastern US. I really want to explore the summers here in great depth, hiking on trails... and looking for wild snacks along the way! I know next to nothing of wild foods. I suppose I should hit the bookstores. I want lots of pictures...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 29, 2008 04:23AM

It's no big deal. I think a diet of conventional, fresh, unprocessed raw plant foods can yield 99% of the benefits a person can need (when the other items on the spectrum of wellness are also present). If you need the other 1%, you can always grow your own heirloom produce. The seeds are out there - if you want them. If not, no worries.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 29, 2008 09:55AM

hi Phantom - that book sounds interesting. Could you please give the name of the aurhor as I can't find it on the title alone.

Many thanks
Philippa

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 29, 2008 12:02PM

The author is Tony Wright. In the US you can get the book from [www.lulu.com]

In the UK and Europe you can get it from my website [www.funkyraw.com] There is also a radio interview with Tony on my website where he explains the basics of his theory.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2008 07:41PM

this is the book i have, full colour pictures too.
[www.amazon.com]
it's an excellent guide, really terrific.
squarefoot gardening is also pretty good for growing your own in small spaces.
[www.amazon.com]

phantom, brian clement is going to be in toronto in april speaking at toronto sprouts, r u going? we'll try to make it if we can. maybe we'll see you there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables