Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to get adequate protein without nuts or seeds?
Posted by: skywatcher ()
Date: April 02, 2008 07:06PM

Hi all,

I returned to a mostly raw diet a couple of weeks ago due to a health challenge (peripheral neuropathy precipitated by a herpes viral infection on my finger). Had eaten mostly raw/living foods for 1-1/2 years a while back and eventually stopped due to a severe B-12 deficiency, food cravings, and social pressures.

My dilemma now is that although I am enjoying the raw diet, am taking a B-12 supplement, and social pressures are down, I feel protein deficient--constantly craving fish and cheese. Due to the herpes infection, I have to avoid most nuts, seeds, and coconut. I have been sprouting some grains and beans, but have found few ways to prepare them that are palatable. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!
Arlene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to get adequate protein without nuts or seeds?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 02, 2008 09:39PM

Greens, fruits.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 02, 2008 09:54PM

A craving for fish and cheese means you feel protein deficient?? You may want to reconsider that and reconsider the craving as attributed to something else actually.

Greens and fruits eaten in adequate amounts will get you all the protein your body needs. Do the research and the information is there, if you choose to believe that is.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 02, 2008 10:01PM

fitday.com is a free and easy to use daily nutrition tracker that analyzes your dietary intake including protein. check it out and see how you're doing, you might be missing something totally different and just mistaking the signals. you never know, right?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 02, 2008 11:04PM

greens, zucchini

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: April 02, 2008 11:34PM

I couldn't agree more with the above posts - greens and sprouts!!!

patty

Date: April 03, 2008 01:52AM

Thanks, everyone, for the input so far. Coco, the fitday.com site was really helpful!

I guess my limitation in eating greens and sprouts is that they are not a favorite food. I eat salads most days and enjoy broccoli, zucchini, and kale when prepared in interesting ways with sauces, but they are not the first thing I reach for. In the past, I've tried drinking "green drinks" with spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass, etc., and couldn't even get them down. Even Ann Wigmore's Energy Soup causes me to lose my appetite.

But I'll keep looking for new ways to prepare greens....

Arlene

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 03, 2008 07:23AM

what about green smoothies (40% greens, 60% sweet fruit)? ann wigmore's energy soup is not tasty, and most of those all green drinks (especially powdered ones) are not so great either. but green smoothies are yummy! try spinach, banana, and berries...

Date: April 04, 2008 12:14AM

Thank you, Maui. I'll try this type of smoothie when my bananas ripen!

Arlene

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 04, 2008 12:24AM

I think the key is to do what Maui_butterfly said and mix greens with fruit. Just a simple banana and spinach smoothie is a huge hit with everyone at my house.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:04AM

Everyone who has heard the preamble... just skip it.

I have a health problem that prevents my body from absorbing protein properly. (Fried my gallbladder and liver due to life threatening and longterm bout of hepatitis... long story) sooooo....

I know about feeling like you need protein! I know about craving protein. I found that I feel better (those cravings diminish) when I eat more dark, leafy greens. I don't know why it helps but it seems to help.

I don't crave greens. But I make myself eat them (there are worse things I have made myself do so this isn't THAT much of a big deal). Maybe someone can explain why it helps. I crave fruit. I love fruit. But when I don't eat enough dark greens I get cravings for chicken and fish. And I don't even like that stuff really. When I have been eating lots of greens, I find chicken and fish disgusting.

I must admit though, for the scientifically minded here, that my protein numbers have not budged -- greens or no greens. I don't know what's going on inside me but I feel better on greens. My doctors says if I feel better, keep doing it.

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:15AM

Lee_123, since you eat mostly fruit, craving meat when you dont get your greens could really just be a craving for something savory, instead of sweet. Our pallettes enjoy all different kinds of flavors, which natural makes us eat a well-rounded diet. Simply this could be why you stop craving meat when you eat greens. I dont know how much I buy into the cravings = nutritional deficiency idea. Cravings are often emotional. Anywhoo, I dont think we need as much protein as we are raised to believe (by a meat-industry powered culture). We only need enough protein for the amino acids. Our body builds its own protein. I mean, that is what DNA is. It builds protiens. Eating a cow muscle doesnt put more muscle on your bicep. Your body builds its own bicep when it has enough energy to do so. So dont stress about protein so much! Maybe youre craving these foods for another reason...

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:22AM

skywatcher,

If you are eating enough calories to meet your energy needs on a diet consisting of whole raw foods, you will be getting enough protein. It may be that your body is accustomed to higher protein on your previous cooked diet, so it may take some time for your body to adjust to a lower protein intake. Most protein cravings are usually a craving for fat though, but in your case, a craving for fish is a protein craving, but a craving for cheese is a fat craving.

For now, eat some higher protein foods that meet your needs. Without nuts and seeds, you may have to initially eat some cooked foods to get the higher protein that you desire, but you can slowly lessen your protein intake to the point that raw gives you all the protein that you desire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2008 01:47AM by Bryan.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 04, 2008 01:25AM

"Your body builds its own bicep when it has enough energy to do so."

There is some truth to this. The greater the calorie intake, the more easily protein intake is utilitzed.

However, when we cut calories, as most raw foodists do (perhaps inadvertently), protein synthesis will decline until the body adjusts to the new lower level.

But, even so, there is some minimal level that we should stay above.

In the absence of rigorous testing, the best thing you can do is let your body be your guide. I found that I do best with neither high (20% or higher) nor low (10% or lower) but moderate intakes.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 04, 2008 03:55AM

Nutritional yeast has 8g of protein per tablespoon (plus all kinds of other goodies like B vitamins). It's not raw, but I use it because it helps with cheese cravings.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 04, 2008 04:13AM

I like what Bryan said, but for concentrated fat/protein that isn't nuts or seeds, what about avocado?

Date: April 04, 2008 04:35AM

Hey Maui,

I just came across these videos of Victoria Boutenko talking about the benefits of green smoothies. Now I'm really anxious to try your suggestion of combining greens and fruits! Here are the links for the videos:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Inspiring!
Arlene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables