Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Portion foods?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2008 10:20PM

I'm 6'2, 335 lbs, and ive recently started this raw food diet, and i was wondering if i have to portion my foods to loose weight, like how much do i eat in a meal? Cause iv been eating whenever i feel hungry, and i didnt know if it was or wasnt help me loose weight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Portion foods?
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 04, 2008 10:29PM

You will have the weight just fall off of you in no time. Just watch the nuts and avacado and oils. I lost 100 pounds last year and did not watch what I was eating all that much. The longer you are raw the better you feel. Good luck on your adventure

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: April 04, 2008 11:37PM

Rev, Congrats for taking steps towards better health. I agree with pampam regarding the foods that are more fat. It doesn't mean that you cannot eat them, just don't make them 100% of your raw food intake. You can use fitday.com as a guide in your nutrient intake. Supplement where you are lacking. Be sure to be comfortable with each phase that you transition to. Otherwise you might rebel and eat the food that you avowed to give up because one is not ready to give up the comfort food. I know that I'm still phasing and it's been over 3 years.

pampam, Wow. Congrats!

Therese

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 05, 2008 12:08AM

If you are concerned about weight...it is more about calories...and making sure that you are eating UNDER what you need to support your current body weight....every day. Those numbers and formulas are easily available. The important thing is to journal EVERYTHING you are consuming for a week...and then look up EXACTLY how many calories you are taking in. Just one way to do it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:58AM

if you aren't losing, ease up on the nuts, seeds, oils and avocado. Even including these you shuoldlose. My weight just fell away and I was having yoghurt and cheese as well!

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 05, 2008 08:12PM

I don't agree with the advice on calorie restriction. Has a potentially horrible rebound effect and slows down one's metabolism.

Turning vegan and introducing higher and higher percentages of raw did/are doing it for me. ANd yes, low fat. Maybe at the end of the day the result is the same - fewer calories are consumed.

However, what worked for me was the mindset to eat as much of raw greens as possible, to dig in with the fruit and not to worry. To ADD, rather than subtract, count and restrict. It's an important difference in mindset to me, one of abundance, getting to know myself and re-experiencing the joys, freshness, energies and colors of foods anew, rather than one of external rules, restricting and going against my intuition/cravings.
That said, further down the road these things do have their place, I think, but as you are just getting started, I'd not worry too much about it. (Else it becomes just another 'diet' rather than a life style).

My 2 cents.
Best of luck and happy slimming! If you google raw food and weight loss, some great videos come up.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 05, 2008 09:09PM

I just love the feeling of going out into my kitchen and seeing a plentiful, large variety of good quality fresh, natural, whole, raw foods. The sight and smell reminds of all the health benefits of eating raw foods and that of course includes achieving optimal weight. Don't focus on the details of eating all raw as much as just doing it. :=)

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:58PM

I just want to say, caloric restriction is *supposed* to lower metabolism, that is what slows down aging. But I agree that it can be done intuitively with lots of greens and veggies, to avoid going insane!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 05, 2008 11:11PM

You CAN lower calories....JUST lower than what you need....while increasing nutrition and bulk. I would imagine this would lead to increased health for the overweight....especially when combined with moderate exercise....and joyous living.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: April 05, 2008 11:30PM

I agree, I think when you get to your last 20, 30 lbs you might need to do some calorie restriction but at this point you shouldn't have to worry about it so much as long as the bulk of your foods are fruit and veggies which I am sure they are!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 06, 2008 12:44AM

Congratulations for your decision to walk the raw food path, Revolutionary! My advice is to never go hungry. If you feel hungry, then eat whatever raw food you feel like eating. I'm down 90 pounds, so far, and I ate whatever, whenever, in whatever quantities I desired as long as it was raw. I ate high fat, too, and the weight just disappeared. I'm at a weight now where I'm not moving at all, and since I know I'm still not at an ideal weight for my height and bone structure, it's time for me to cut back on fats. I knew it was time to cut back on fats after only a few months at 100% raw, but I liked the taste and texture, so I ate them anyway. I don't regret eating high fat, because it helped me get to where I am now. Now, however, I don't want to consume all those nuts and seeds anymore.

Good luck to you! Let us know how you are doing!

Lots of love,

Wendi
XOXO

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables