Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Easy ways to prepare raw grains
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: April 04, 2008 05:42PM

I found this on the internet, I was wondering if I really had to sprout grains which seems like so much trouble so I'm very happy to have found this info on simply soaking them:

[rawveg.info]

And I would really appreciate my post to be kept free of the Doug Graham pooh-pooing of grains nonsense, I know it's going to end up here so let me just say it - this guy wrote a book called Grain Damage, you can read it if you want but I think he's just plain wrong. Coarse raw grains have kept people healthy and alkaline for thousands of years. The only reason grains have become unhealthy in the West is because we usually eat them processed or cooked.

I love raw grains in my diet, they make me feel balanced and wonderful. Without them I would have to get more calories from fat or from sweet fruit. So for me it's veggies and raw grains, that is what works best. Raw grains supply essential nutrients and reduce cravings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easy ways to prepare raw grains
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: April 05, 2008 11:05AM

great info, thanks!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 12:49PM

I have not read "Grain Damage." Does he say to not eat any grains in any form? Or are sprouted grains ok at all?

I'm curious.

THANKS!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 05, 2008 04:11PM

I'm a big Fan of Grains. I use Organic Dried Corn (yellow and purple) and Organic Whole Raw Oats in my Green Smoothies. I've tried sprouting them first, but it's just too much work, since I'm involved with growing Wheatgrass. I soak 2 Tbsp. of each Grain for 48-hours, then blend them in a Green Smoothie. To get really Whole Raw Oats that are sproutable, go to the Raw Bakery......WY

[www.rawbakery.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:34PM

I'm a grain fan too.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: April 05, 2008 11:49PM

I've been perusing that website for a while now and think it's awesome!!

Like you, I love raw grains and found his research and tips super helpful. One of my favorite breakfasts is oat groats soaked overnight with nut or seed milk and fruit.

Did you read his take on superfoods and colon cleansing? Obviously tongue in cheek, but it if you think about it makes sense. Love this guy's straightforward, no nonsense approach to stuff...pretty funny too, in a dry sort of way.

He's in the process of expanding the website so I like to check in periodically to see what's new.

~lanie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2008 11:49PM by Lanie.

Date: April 06, 2008 02:00AM

I ate alot of raw spelt today and felt really sleepy... I can't say for sure it was that, though, so I'll have to keep experimenting to see what works best. Maybe raw spelt is difficult to digest?

Date: April 07, 2008 12:25AM

Raw soaked oat groats made me tired too - through further research on the internet I found that I may have been soaking them wrong. It said that grains, nuts, and beans should always be soaked in warm, slightly acidic water... like 2 tablespoons of lemon juice added to the water and left in the oven with just the oven light on to keep it warm. It also said that in traditional societies without modern harvesting & storage techniques, it is nearly impossible to keep grains from fermenting and that is the ideal way to eat them.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 07, 2008 01:47AM

sunshine79 or someone else, I don't understand this sentence: "It also said that in traditional societies without modern harvesting & storage techniques, it is nearly impossible to keep grains from fermenting and that is the ideal way to eat them."

Does that mean that it is impossible to keep grains from fermenting now? Or back in "traditional" (non-industrialized) societies?

I thought: fermented grains = beer

Is your message about that supposed to be funny?

Not dazed, just confused,

Lee

[www.whitedot.org]

Date: April 07, 2008 02:35AM

<It also said that in traditional societies without modern harvesting & storage techniques, it is nearly impossible to keep grains from fermenting and that is the ideal way to eat them>

That's news to me too. Never heard of soaking grains and seeds in warm slightly acidic water either. All the sources I've read say to use room temp water for soaking and sprouting, which has always worked wonderfully for me...especially kamut, rye, lentils, mung beans, quinoa. Oats, kamut and rye are really good just soaked too.

You can buy all kinds of sproutable seeds and grains here, including easy to follow, time-friendly directions for each type.

[www.sproutpeople.com]

~lanie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2008 02:36AM by Lanie.

Date: April 07, 2008 04:01PM

Lee and Lanie, I think I got that sentence from an article by Dr. Weston Price... it was saying that in yesteryear people ate their grains fermented and they're much healthier that way.

When I did the "mucus test" on grains soaked in just plain water (took a bite on an empty stomach and waited 20 minutes to see if mucus formed in my throat)... it did, which would indicate that my body didn't consider them healthy & digestible.

I would think that once the grain actually sprouts, though, then it wouldn't matter how it was soaked.

I'm trying to lessen my effort and eat them raw but not sprouted... the way people used to eat grains back in the day (when they didn't cook them).

I'm going to make a new thread dedicated to this topic with links, I thought it was pretty interesting... it was all news to me, too.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 07, 2008 04:23PM

Maybe Grains are Acidic and Mucus Forming (maybe not), but it's best to have a 'balance'. This article recommends an 80% Alkaline to 20% Acid ratio to restore Health, and 60-40 to maintain.
I like the way Grains move through my Body. I don't like the way some 'sticky' Fruits move through.....like Apricots, Bananas, and Durian.....WY

[home.bluegrass.net]

Date: April 07, 2008 09:22PM

sunshine79: Did you rinse the grains really well before doing your "mucus test?" See my post to your new thread about this.

~lanie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables