Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

costco produce question
Posted by: superjuicer ()
Date: April 02, 2008 05:34AM

Hi there I have a question about the produce at costco. What does "hydroponically greenhouse grown without herbicides" mean? Does that mean he stuff is organic, but not certified? I noticed that label on some of the lettuce and tomatoes at costco.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: costco produce question
Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: April 02, 2008 05:54AM

I think hydroponic greenhouses grow food underground or in water?? Doesn't mean that they're organic unless maybe the label says so. I think this process is used because it yields a greater amount of produce...yet I still think they use chemicals and it's not organic. Maybe someone with more knowledge about this will respond. I will stick to my natural food co-op though thank you very much.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: April 02, 2008 07:43AM

It's basically a marketing ploy. Herbicides are used to control weeds, but weeds would not occur anyway in a controlled hydroponic environment. However molds, fungi and insects could be a problem in such an environment, so you won't see them say "grown without pesticides or fungicides" on the label. Also, most large scale hydroponic growers will probably use some sort of chemical fertilizer as well. I think the folks who market that stuff are betting on the fact that most people will see "no herbicides used" on the label and assume it means organic. Personally, even the small scale organic hydroponic stuff that I have tasted didn't taste as good as their soil grown counterparts... just my preference. I think plants like to have their feet in the earth.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: uti ()
Date: April 03, 2008 02:46PM

Hydroponic Produce is grown in an artificial unnatural environment. By virtue of that, the tomato may look like a tomato, but it will be devoid of the nutritional complexities and benefits to the consumer.

Organically and bio-dynamically grown fruits and veggies are grown in Living Soil, the key to getting the maximum amount nutrients into the consumer of the produce.

In my opinion, if you aren't eating organically, bio-dynamically or home grown food from well composted soils without artificial chemical fertilizers and pest control poisons ---- you aren't getting all you can get from your food in a nutritional and ecological sense.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 12:28AM

Uti,

I totally agree with you, but for those of us who cannot afford organic all the time, I hate to say this... but... Costco has awesome commercial produce prices. I think a lot of people make the mistake of buying commercial produce in health food stores (like "Whole Foods"winking smiley and it's the same stuff as Costco has for sale.

One of my lottery winning fantasies is to eat 100% organic. I keep forgetting to buy lottery tickets though! smiling smiley

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables