Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Binges?
Posted by: hemp0la ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:20PM

I've had a binge-eating disorder for a couple of months and haven't told anyone. I've gained about 15lbs and was mostly bingeing on cereals and breads at night.
I thought going raw would save me - if I binged on fruits or vegetables, it wouldn't be much of a big deal because I'd feel full before consuming too many calories, and I would eventually stop craving.

Well, unfortunately I've taken to bingeing on nuts and dried fruit - which is possibly even worse than the grains, because of the calorie, sugar and fat content.

What should I do? Cut out nuts and dried fruit?
Should I cut out fat until I've lost the craving or the weight? I want to lose 10-15lbs.
Should I just have a tsp or so of oil or 1/4 of an avacado per day?
Should I have a water fast for a day or two?

I must get past this sugar and fat addiction. It's really difficult - I lost 47lbs over the last couple years, and it's killing me to have it come back on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Binges?
Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:39PM

I understand your experience! I have finally seemingly gotten over my bingeing problem. (I am 77 lbs. lighter than I was about 5 years ago and still have more to lose but seem to be losing nearly a pound a week this year.)

For me it helped a LOT to eliminate the most common allergen foods from my diet -- e.g., all wheat and gluten, cacao, eggs (cooked or raw), dairy (cooked or raw), the nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, summer squashes such as zucchini, mushrooms and peppers), white potatoes and corn except for a tiny amount sprinkled on for seasoning.

I don't eat much anymore. Most of my favorite foods I cannot eat or cannot afford to eat very often. I do eat some cooked organic beans nearly every day just because I cannot afford all raw diet anymore. I make sure to get my omega-3 every day and do spend more for that and I make sure to get chlorophyll in greens and drink lots of water. I have let go of food as a way to entertain myself.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:41PM

tiny amount sprinkled for seasoning -- I meant the peppers, lol. winking smiley

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 08:57PM

I don't think the problem is necessarily the content (though it certainly could be driving the addictive behavior), but the mindless eating. You could decide to just eat carrots, and it would be harder, but you could eat them until you felt sick.

Then again, I've gained about 15 pounds in the last few months, which I'm just starting to lose, so I'm not one to talk winking smiley I just know that when I get in the right groove, I'm not overeating anything, and that is key. Overeating anything is not great. Limiting fats seems like a good idea (banning outright might make you feel restricted--what you mentioned seems good), and limiting fruits to fresh or frozen only, no dried is probably a good idea (the concentrated sugar is delicious, but no good). A short water fast might help you re-set, too. It has helped me in the past.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 08, 2008 09:14PM

I hear you. My opinion is that a pre-existing eating disorder is not going to be solved simply by changing the content of the diet. Underlying emotional issues have not been addressed. Stabilize the underlying pathology by starting from a eating level that you are 100% comfortable and functional with. Participate in group and individual therapy...and work with your health care professional to facilitate this. In the mean time, you can be gradually changing your diet to include a greater overall % of fresh, unprocessed fruits and vegetables. This seems very sensible. What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: April 08, 2008 10:57PM

Hi, Hempy. . .

There is something Dr. Doug Graham says that I think is really cool and is true, from my own experience.

He says that if you are craving ANYTHING besides fruit (and greens, if you like them) it is because you are not eating ENOUGH fruit.

He says that if you look at cooked and processed food and any of it looks like something edible and nourishing, you are not eating enough fruit.

I have found that by eating fruit you can eat as much as you like and you will lose all excess body fat and your body will become very happy and peaceful and relaxed on a cellular level.

It is important that you eat fresh, not dried, fruit.

It takes a few days for your body to adapt, but if you could try an experiment for a week or so you will see what I mean. Most people find that eating all fruit, as much as you want anytime you want, will bring major weight loss. Some people actually complain about it! Ha, ha.

Hope this helps . . .

: )

Love,
Julie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 10:58PM by FruityJules.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 09, 2008 06:38AM

You people are amazing for losing so much weight. It's difficult for me to believe that I too was overweight 10 years ago at 177 pounds (5'9"winking smiley. Now at 127 pounds, I feel I'm just now discovering the right way to eat (for me). A lot of it had to do with eliminating Stress in order for Food to lose it's Power over me.
May we all find 'The Path'......WY

Posted by: peter b. ()
Date: April 09, 2008 10:50AM

What about finding a way of eating that is healthier than binging, one that satisfies you both mentally and physically, and then slowly change your eating ways to incorporate more raw foods.

What Doug Graham says about eating more fruit to satisfy your cravings worked for him, but if it doesn't work for you, he just sticks his head in the sand and has no other realistic advice.

Eating more fruit just made things worse for me, and I've seen the same thing happen to other people.

Don't get too hung up about trying to live up too other people's expectations.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:37PM

I agree that it's good to get professional help if you have an eating disorder. Consuming raw foods may give you physical health, but there is an underlying emotional/mental struggle that needs to be addressed for overall health in your being.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Date: April 10, 2008 01:26PM

You are all amazing - thank you for your advice.

My goal is to achieve ten days without a binge. I have followed that rule with any habit - break a habit for ten days, and it will be broken for good.
So far, it has been one full day. I have dropped four pounds in 24 hours (okay, mostly water weight I assume) but I feel great.

Yesterday I ate:
7am: Smoothie: Banana, strawberries, blueberries, ice, water.
9:15am: Carrots, celery and salsa.
12:00pm: An apple.
2:30pm: Salad: Mushrooms, yellow/green peppers, tomatoes, onion, basil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper. 3 fresh figs.
6:00pm: Iceburg lettuce wrap with cucumber, mixed greens and salsa.
7:00pm: Salad: Mixed greens, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, onions, balsamic vinegar, olive oil.
8:30pm: A banana.

So, mostly raw - aside from the roasted red peppers, maybe the vinegar? And maybe the salsa. I used very little olive oil.

I think the fact that I put all my dried fruit and nuts in the freezer really helped. Frozen raisins aren't nice! And I'm not tempted to eat handfuls of almonds when they're frozen. Harder to digest, and they make my teeth feel icky.

I will keep trying - today my fats will be 1/6 cup of soaked sunflower seeds, and about a teaspoon of olive oil. I'm going to have some of my sprouted lentils today, too. (Starting a new job, and with my body not totally used to raw, I think I should have more sustenance today) If I don't achieve my 10-day goal, I will probably look into professional help if I feel it's needed.

I appreciate all your support!

Date: April 10, 2008 02:24PM

I thik your plan sounds good--mostly raw, but small amounts of non-raw foods and raw fats. Small amounts to keep from feeling deprived, but avoiding high amounts as well. Good luck!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 10, 2008 03:41PM

Posted by: peter b. (IP Logged)
Date: April 09, 2008 03:50AM

What about finding a way of eating that is healthier than binging, one that satisfies you both mentally and physically

I found a way that works for me. When I ate cooked food I was a LOT heavier and I binged frequently. First, I agree with the above posts about reducing stress. Stress is a trigger for me and it needs to be managed in healthy ways. Relax. Second, I eat an all raw diet without stimulants (seasonings, flavorings, caffeine, etc) that trigger appetite. Third, I graze, mostly on whole foods. Its just the opposite of binging because instead of eating a whole lot of food at a time I eat just a small meal like maybe an apple or something. Then I go along and I eat another apple using a mini mono meals approach. For more on this approach see my posts (2) "on the menu for tomorrow" thread: [www.rawfoodsupport.com] This steady flow of food all day levels out my nutrients and satisfies me. Since "discovering" the raw food lifestyle, relaxing, and incorporating grazing I have lost almost all of my flab and no longer binge eat. The weight loss has been steady month after month and continues as time passes and I am confident that in time I will be completely flab free. I don't know if this approach will work for you because we are all different and are living different lives and I have been my own guinea pig. Its been just 1, 2, 3 and I lost my big ass and improved my health at the same time. Good luck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 03:55PM by EZ rider.

Date: April 10, 2008 03:46PM

You know, I ultitmately believe that giving the body time to digest food and be empty for a while (mini-fasting) is best, but I can totally see how grazing would be helpful in coming off of binging--you get used to never being too full, and reassure the body that food is always there and no need to panic. I am actually using this approach somewhat--grazing for a few hours, taking a break from food, then grazing again as needed. Thanks EZ Rider, some itneresting ideas to play with.

Date: April 10, 2008 04:05PM

Posted by: rost0037 (IP Logged)
Date: April 10, 2008 08:46AM

I am actually using this approach somewhat--grazing for a few hours, taking a break from food, then grazing again as needed.

Thats basically what I am doing also. I eat a small extended mini mono meal and then wait for a slight return of hunger signal and then read my body signal to read whats to eat for the next small extended mini mono meal.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 04:09PM by EZ rider.

Date: April 10, 2008 04:57PM

Makes sense. Simple is nice.

Date: April 10, 2008 04:59PM

I have found that waiting for a slight return of hunger signal provides a stronger and clearer "whats to eat ?" signal as the "hunger" signal seems to work much better then the "full" signal for me. I also try to keep my appestat gage nearer to "slightly hungry" end of the scale then to the "slightly full" end of the scale. During the small extended mini mono meal I try to stay in the satisfied zone of the appestat but as I mentioned more toward the left side of the appestat gage if you were to picture it like a car's fuel gage With Empty being on the left and Full being on the right side of the gage. In short I like to wait between the mono meal foods for a slight return of hunger and then eat moderately to stay satisfied while eating the small extended mini mono meal part of the eating day.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 05:13PM by EZ rider.

Date: April 10, 2008 05:04PM

Makes sense to me. I also canNOT digest large amounts of food, I end up horribly bloated and gassy, so that has led me to eating this way more--but not mindlessly snacking, either, which is an easy trap to fall into.

Date: April 10, 2008 05:30PM

My above posts and the link above to another thread describe my present raw food eating journey and has been a series of steps to get here. I have been eating this style for several months which is long enough to know that it works well for me. I don't know if it is right for you or well work for you because we are all different but you are welcome to use what you want and leave the rest. Good luck and have a successful journey.

Date: April 10, 2008 05:44PM

Add a footnote to the above. I have found that exercise is very helpful because it helps me stay relaxed and burns calories. I like to time my exercise to fall into the period of time that falls between the small extended mini mono meals where I wait for a slight return of hunger. During those periods I like to take walks or jump on my rebounder or lift weights, etc. A small exercise session between mini mono meals fits in nicely. When I finish the exercise I find that I have a slight hunger signal and I am ready to eat again and most of the time I am able to read my body signals well. It all works together in a nice way that is healthy and makes me feel relaxed and happy. :=)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 05:49PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 10, 2008 07:08PM

I have to say, grazing all day has now taken over my late-night binges (WOO HOO!). I think I'm also more efficiently using my food this way, too. My weekly grocery bill has gone down by about $20 (WOO HOO!).

It took three or four months of a lot of binges to get to that point, but all things come with dedication! =)

Date: April 10, 2008 09:11PM

If you have already got the grazing part down its an easy step to the mini mono meals. Then if you want to add the waiting for the first slight return of hunger signal before eating again and after that add the short exercise sessions between each mono meal segment you will have everything I have posted about in this thread. Or you could add them in any order you prefer. If you decide to check it out just take your time and when you are ready then take a step and see how it works for you. Good luck.

Date: April 11, 2008 02:42PM

I'm still doing well. I ate a lot at once yesterday, I think because I was nervous about starting my new job. When I ate a lot though, it was just fruit and vegetables. Bananas, apples, zucchini, carrots, cucumber.
On some days I plan out what I'll eat, and others I don't. I eat more if I'm home all day, and a lot less if I'm out.

Today:
Smoothie: banana, orange, 2 strawberries, frozen grapes, matcha, soaked sunflower seeds, water.
Throughout the day I'll eat:
Carrots and salsa.
Zucchini pasta with sundried tomatoes, tomato puree, red onion, basil.
Apple.
Salad: Cucumber, white onion, mint, orange juice and a drizzle of almond butter.

For now I'm still having little bits of flavour enhancers, like the sundried tomatoes, almond butter, herbs and orange juice. I hope to use less of them in the future, but for now I think they're fine.

I had half a bagel with peanut butter last night. That was my first real slip-up, but it was a conscious decision - my boyfriend toasted and peanut buttered the bagel for himself, and offered me half. As a lifelong peanut butter addict and bagel lover, I honestly wasn't that impressed by it. I didn't like how the bagel got stuck in my molars, and it just didn't feel right in my stomach.

I lost another half pound as of this morning. Hooray! Down to 123.5 with a goal of about 112-115.

I'm on the right track, guys. I appreciate the support, and congratulations to all who have improved their bodies!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 11, 2008 02:44PM

It's good to make sure you have plenty of fruit availble for when you get hungry.

Good work - I hear you about cooked food, it's so unsatisfying and extremely DEHYDRATING!

Date: April 11, 2008 03:05PM

Instead of storebought orange juice, may I suggest getting one of those $5 hand juicers and juicing your own FRESH orange juice. Mmmm! It's quick and easy and not too expensive. <3

Date: April 11, 2008 03:08PM

I didn't specify - I did juice the orange myself smiling smiley Tasted amazing!!!

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: April 11, 2008 04:30PM

Binge on avocados, figs or dates. It will fill you up and benefit you more than breads and cereals. Clean out your kitchen and throw out all SAD binge foods. When you feel a binge coming on all you'll have handy are healthy alternatives.

Date: April 13, 2008 12:29PM

Those are trigger foods too though, and I know from experience - a fig binge causes lotttttts of gas. I completely love figs, but I can't let myself buy them because I will eat a whole pack in five minutes, and that's like ten servings (over 1,000 calories!)

Date: April 13, 2008 03:58PM

hempOla -- I have noticed something interesting about what I call the desire factor when eating raw foods. For example when I eat the first bite of a mono meal of a raw food I get a signal from my body concerning the intensity of desire to continue to eat that food. Frequently that first bite of a fig or a mango etc will be an ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thats so good type of response and I will strongly desire to eat more. As I continue to eat the mono meal the intensity of the desire for that food diminishes giving me a natural stopping point for that particular mono meal. I have wondered about the cause of the diminishing intensity on the desire to continue to eat that food and maybe it has to do with the nutrients in the food and the nutrients stored in my body ? If that is the case then your body may be looking for the nutrients in the figs and the desire to eat figs remains strong ? I don't have any science to back this idea up I only have my gut level felling based on my own experience. I would be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on this. What do you think ?

Date: April 14, 2008 01:38AM

I think that may be why some of us go through "phases" with food, as discussed on other threads.

Like when I was eating nearly a whole durian every day for a month or two, and my body underwent some very radical and positive changes in that time. =)

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: April 14, 2008 03:08AM

And someone else who was addicted to olives? There was some kind of detox going on with the olives too, I think - sweating?

I am addicted to bananas....cannot get enough. We go through so many pounds of bananas, my grocer asked me if we are raising monkeys. Someone recently asked my husband "what kind of diet is your wife on?!?" after he told them that the bananas were for me. It must be the potassium?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables