Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Calories in sprouts
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 18, 2008 06:02AM

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum and the raw lifestyle. I'm trying to keep track of how many calories I consume and at the same time I've gone on a sprouting bonanza.

I've searched high and low on the internet and can't seem to find any calorie/nutrient information for sprouted legumes/grains. Should I assume it is the same as they would be as if a certain quantity was dry?

Just in case anyone knows specifically I'm sprouting:

-quinoa
-green lentils
-adzuki beans
-mung beans

I made an awesome sprouted quinoa salad tonight and knowing how many calories I was ingesting would helpful smiling smiley

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calories in sprouts
Date: April 18, 2008 01:22PM

Good question.
I wonder too.
I would assume pretty low in calories.
And certainly if they are not,then its worth it for the nutrition sprouts have.
My guess is that the calories stated for cooked beans would be the same as for the raw sprouts.I dont see how boiling beans would ADD any calories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 01:24PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 18, 2008 02:04PM

I'm STILL looking for sprout nutritional profiles. -.-

I have found some for mung beans and chickpeas, and the calories were about 50/cup, with nutritional profiles several times that of their canned counterparts (for one cup).

I'm assuming it's similar with other sprouts.

Date: April 19, 2008 01:12AM

Thanks for the replies! This is torturing me now, not so much because I need to know how many calories there are but for the mere fact that it seems impossible to find despite the trillions of other nutritional food profiles on the web!

Phantom I'd be interested to see the nutritionals for mung beans if you have them handy,

I guess it also depends on how long you've let the bean/grain sprout. A part of me is hoping that quinoa sprouts have less calories than their dry counterparts since they are pretty calorie dense, but oh so delicious and nutritious smiling smiley

Date: April 19, 2008 04:57PM

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Wish I could find something more specific, but it helps. =)

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:05AM

Mung beans calorie and nutrient info

The food code number is 75101000.
Click on it (the food code) and enter the serving size.

Date: April 20, 2008 12:20AM

well, they would have less calories than their dry counterpart by volume, wouldn't they? because they increase in size when soaked and also when sprouted.

fyi sprouts are at optimum nutritional value when the tail is no longer than the grain/nut/seed.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: April 20, 2008 12:50AM

Sprouts, like wheatgrass, is almost impossible to get accurate nutritional information for, because the plants are young and their nutritional potential is changing so quickly at that age. The laboratory tests don't lend themselves well to the demands of such vibrant and actively changing foods. If you do find nutritional information, and there is a little of it out there, it would only be relevant to that type of sprout at nearly the same age. Harvest your broccoli sprouts a day earlier or later than the testing facility, and you're left without terribly accurate information.

Date: April 20, 2008 01:43AM

The only other indicator of sprout quality I have is the delicious and joyful sensations I have while eating them. =)

Date: April 20, 2008 06:59PM

Thanks for the nutritional data links. A cup of sprouted mung beans is way lower in calories than I thought! I have a lot of sprout eating to do...

It is amazing eating such vibrant active foods, I guess I will never know their true nutritional content except for how it is expressed through my body smiling smiley I appreciate all the helpful comments! Good luck to all the sprouters out there,

I'm having a wonderful day because I thought my adzuki beans were never going to sprout but they finally did! hurray!

Date: April 21, 2008 03:06AM

They seem to be the toughest of all lentils to sprout--some I got from Bulk Barn took way longer to sprout than other lentils or peas.

Date: April 21, 2008 12:58PM

are you sprouting them under pressure? they will yeild a flimsy, wimpy sprout if not. they enjoy a stressful work environment and thrive underpressure, heh.

Date: April 21, 2008 11:24PM

How do you sprout under pressure?

Would I walk into my kitchen, pick up my sprouters, shake them vigorously and yell, "winking smiley@#($*)@#(*#@$ ADZUKI BEANS!! WHERE ARE YOUR TAILS!? HURRY UP!"

*15 minutes later*

*shakeshakeshake* "You'd better be sprouting while I'm gone!!"

Heh heh. How would you add pressure to a simple mason jar? Or do you need more advanced equipment? =)

Date: April 21, 2008 11:36PM

hee!

sprout them in a wide shallow bowl or pan, put a plate on top with a weight on it (like a large stone). mung sprouted under pressure yeild a big fat juicy sprout like the ones you get in chinese restaurants. do a little google and see if you can find pics.
yum, bean sprouts!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 22, 2008 06:08AM

wow I always wondered why my mung beans were never big and fat and juicy like the commercial ones. I shall try this way - thanks (I might Give them a bit of verbal pressure too just to make sure - I like that! ha ha)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables