Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

marinating veggies
Posted by: javacado ()
Date: April 21, 2008 05:55PM

Does anyone know if you can marinate things like eggplant, okra, and any other veggie that would be hard to eat raw! I know eggplant is from the nightshade family and has a toxin in its skin, right? I have a newly planted garden and picked out some eggplant and okra before I decided to go 100% raw. And now I don't know what I'm going to do with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marinating veggies
Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: April 21, 2008 06:01PM

I don't have an answer to your question, I just have another question. :-)

Why not eat okra raw? I LOVE raw okra. Even as a cooked vegan, I always preferred raw okra. Is there some kind of digestive issues with the okra raw?
I eat it just like snow peas.

I can't wait until they are in season here!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 21, 2008 06:58PM

I've eaten raw okra. It was fine, but not my favorite! winking smiley As to raw eggplant? I suppose you could eat it raw, but it is often bitter and not-so-tasty. Heh..heh. You might consider that if it HAS to be marinated to be eaten...it might not be an optimal food for YOU. Heh..heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 21, 2008 08:11PM

I had raw eggplant last night at a raw cafe, it was marinated and was delicious, but I don't know how they did it...

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 21, 2008 10:58PM

My experience with raw okra, other than pickled, is it is slimy. Storm and Jinjee have an okra recipe and I made it. At first we liked it then after about five bites we couldn't stand it. I have tried a couple of experiments on my own with it and the same thing happened. I have had eggplant that was soaked in salt water and then prepared using a dehydrator and it was good.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 21, 2008 11:10PM

Raw okra is fabulous. It got slimy after I let it sit in a soup.

Raw eggplant has always been fabulous in raw baba ganoush--I just find that, depending on how bitter, sometimes you need a lot of sea salt. =(

I don't know how marinating would affect nutrition...

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: April 22, 2008 03:55AM

I've enjoyed raw eggplant marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, nama shoyu, ginger and garlic. Yum!

Date: April 22, 2008 09:53PM

How does marinating it affect the nutrition? I guess it oxidizes or something?

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 24, 2008 07:25AM

When I cooked egplant I would slice the eggplant and peel it then I would sprinkle salt over it and let it sit on a rack over the sink to let it drip. There is sometimes a awful ashey taste in the eggplant that is unappealing. After a time of dripping I would then rinse the slices and squeeze them Note the eggplant will fall apart if you dont use the salt on it. One thing interesting about the eggplant is it is a flower and there is a male and female eggplant but I cant remember which one is the best tasting. I am not sure what kind of marinaide to use on it for a raw purpose but I would use something not so strong on it due to its mild flavor and perhaps mix it with zuccini and tomatoes yum. If you have loads in your garden you can experiment and tell us what you come up with.

Date: April 24, 2008 01:44PM

thanks everyone! i will try a few different things with it. pampam, didn't know it was a flower, but it makes sense!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables