Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

questions about fruit
Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: April 23, 2008 01:40AM

Hi everyone

I`ve always loved fruit so much and never paid attention to the "fruit has too much sugar" arguments. I`m trying to get more greens into my diet so I know I need balance but is there any truth to those claims? For example, people always tell me bananas are very high in sugar and cause blood sugars to fluctuate?
Also, I`ve heard of some people getting acne due to citrus fruits, why would this be? I`m trying to get clearer skin and I just don`t feel like giving up beloved oranges, bananas etc unless these arguments have some validity. Thanks so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions about fruit
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:09AM

I also love fruit, and I eat a lot of fruit. For the people who experience that fruit has too much sugar, often these people are eating high fat diets and because of that they experience blood sugar problems. On the other hand, someone like Dave Mason only eats fruit, and his recent blood tests show that his blood sugar is not high at all.

There is no way that citrus causes acne. If someone gets acne after eating some citrus, its probably because they are eating other foods that are not appropriate for their bodies, and the citrus starts a cleansing reaction in these people. If that same person were to go 100% raw vegan, with low fat, after their body cleared out all of its toxins, they would no longer get acne from eating citrus.

Posted by: Walkern ()
Date: April 23, 2008 03:44AM

I would not worry about high sugar fruits, or any any fruits.
Eat fruits out of love and not out of fear. Don't give up fruits you enjoy. Fear and worry causes problems and not our natural foods.
I have got rid from terrible acne and I eat mostly fruits(It took me more than a year though), the more sugar the better imho! lol! We need natural sugars and we like it for a reason.
The only times you may have problems with fruit is when you combine it poorly and/or just eat too much/overeat. Also the fastest way to improve skin is to fast imo.

Posted by: Context ()
Date: April 23, 2008 04:25AM

bryan is right... if a person is eating citrus, and they get acne... thier detoxing smiling smiley

btw all fruit when ripe is perfectly balanced... and the laws that govern dead food do not apply to the living. Eat what ever you crave... this is your body talking. I mean.. watermelon has the highest glycemic index of any fruit to my knowledge, and I have yet to see anyone get sick from eating to much. Maybe the runs... but never sick.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 23, 2008 02:19PM

>laws that govern dead food do not apply to the living.

I like that! =) It's true.

There seems to be a problem with lots of sugar if you eat a ton of fats, but not if you're eating natural fruity sugars with 10-20% fats.

Date: April 23, 2008 04:23PM

Fruits have the enzymes to break down the sugars and fats inside of them. Thier balanced... sometimes they have "extra" enzymes. I wonder if the body stores them for later use?

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: April 23, 2008 05:29PM

I tend to disagree with you guys. It's not a good thing to advertise eating so much fruit especially in the beginning of a raw diet.

I've taken this advice in the beginning and I loved eating fruit all the time so that's what I did since I listened to the "listen to your cravings" advice but some bad things happened to my teeth in just 3 months. I now hope eating mostly vegies will fix things up a bit. So, for now, raw food with high fruit damaged a part of my health, and an important, hard to fix one.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 23, 2008 08:04PM

sebzzz -- Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your teeth.
I havn't experienced any problems like that and I have been eating plenty of fruit everyday for months and months. There is one thing that I am doing that may be helping to wash the food out of my mouth and that is I like to drink clean water between meals. Its possible that this is washing down everything in my mouth. I know that sipping on a cup of clean water cleans my palette in a very refreshing way.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 24, 2008 02:10AM

Try some fresh wheatgrass. >8)

Date: April 24, 2008 02:37AM

Do the rest of your bones hurt? or is it only your teeth? maybe your joints aswell.... I wouldnt think so, but I just want to check to make sure. I mean if the body were leaching minerals from itself, to correct some sort of imbalance.... then all bones would be affected... much like people with osteoperosis... but I could be wrong.
[naturalhygienesociety.org]

If the body is digesting your teeth because it has to compensate for to much high acid fruit, then it may be a good idea to start taking large amounts of minerals in the body. But please dont take mineral suppliments, they only clog up the body. I am talking about leafy greens and wheat grass juice. Until the problem goes away... balance right.

However it is my opinion that EZ Rider is dead on... a thought occured to me regarding bulimic people, and thier bad teeth. Because they are always throwing up... thier teeth are yellow, and full of holes. I have also read about people who have orange juice fasted, or had diets primarily of high acid fruits that had teeth problems, to the point where they lost all thier teeth. But the rest of them was fine. [www.atlantadentist.com]

Now not all fruit are high acid... like watermelon, avocadoes, tomatoes, and cucumbers as an example. I doubt people would loose thier teeth due to this.

If this is the case... just do like EZ rider suggested, swish some water around in your mouth. Maybe even chew on something alkaline after a meal. Like fennel seed.

Aswell I also know of certain herb combinations that help build bones and cartilage. It comes from Dr. Christopher. Blend them in the vitamix and eat, unless its really course then do it the chinese way. Boil the ingredients for an hour with 5 cups of water... then after an hour there should only be one cup of water. Drink that cup of water while its hot, but dont burn yourself. lol... and make sure you have something ready for the bitter taste.

Oak Bark
Marshmallow Root
Mullein Herb
Wormwood
Lobelia Calcium
Scullcap Calcium
Comfrey Root
Black Walnut Bark
Gravel root

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2008 02:48AM by Context.

Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:00AM

thanks!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:44AM

I've been eating relatively high fruit for a year now. I have tried a lot of different things in the last five years but I can honestly say, I think this is for keeps.

The more fruit I have, the more I want it, it makes me feel so fresh and clean and smiley. And I get these cravings for oranges, grapes, berries.

Lately I have not been so wild about my salads, but I still need my fruit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables