Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

minimum calories?
Posted by: sweetlime ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:03AM

Hi again everyone smiling smiley

I am trying to lose weight permanently and safely. I keep hearing that 1200 calories is the minimum amount we need per day to "survive" This doesnt make too much sense to me as the quality of food is maybe more important than how many calories we take in? And fruits and veggies are low in calories.
I`m not fully raw ( not even close yet) but should I look to eat a minimum number of calories? I want to lose weight and keep it off, my weight has fluctuated too many times to count and I`m scared of taking in too little calories. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: minimum calories?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 25, 2008 12:39AM

You'll have to make your own determinations. For starters I.....would work my way towards reaching YOUR raw food goals (overall %) FIRST. Make sure you are getting the recommended calories to maintain the weight you wish....plus a little more. After achieving a stable weight and a healthy diet.....then you can decrease if you wish....and see if you are negatively affected in the long run.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:03AM

I did the 1,200 or so calories a day thing....or 18-23 Weight Watchers points. This was years ago and not on raw but mostly plant-based. Honestly, if you are exercising, I don't know that it's very safe. I went up to 1,500/day, what they said would be my maintenance when I was done, and I would get shaky; it just wasn't enough calories for me.

I wouldn't go by calories; I'd go by how you feel. Some days your body might need 2,500, other days maybe only 1,100......

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:39AM

It depends on how much you weigh, your body fat, your age, and your activity. Most of those Okinawan elders that made it to age 100 or greater didn't exceed 1200 per day but they are pretty tiny, hardly over 5 feet tall and very skinny as well. If you are a tall active person you might need a lot more than that to meet your basic needs.

Plus if your diet is high in fiber (you are not juicing too much or eating too much fat) you will not absorb all of those calories.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 02:58PM

I am with Utopian Life--even with very high nutrients, you need calories, especially when active. I was around 1300 and it totally snowballed. My body felt like it was starving and it led to uncontrollable bingeing after a few months of that.

Go by your body's signals since daily needs do vary.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: April 25, 2008 06:08PM

Nothing has helped me lose more weight (slowly, permanently and safely) than eating more fresh vegan - and more and more raw vegan - foods. no binges after periods of starvation! and there is just a whole new universe of feeling satiated with these foods. As for calories, staying too long at any number seems to not be so good. Mix it up once in a while, because the body gets used to what it gets and will 'make do', even if it's just 1200. I think if you keep it guessing it can't turn down the furnace.

Posted by: samhein ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:46AM

Hi, I've read all you wrote. Maybe I just don't get it. Very seldom do I ever go over around 800 calories a day. And I am not thin either. Nor am I overweight by more than about ten or fifteen pounds. I just can't seem to eat more than that a day. I am now about 90% raw. I have tried to push myself to the 1000 calorie limit, but find that I feel too full to do anything even if I stretch it out throughout the day. I have lots of energy and at my job,I am running around all day long for 8 or 9 hours. But still find it hard to drop that last 10 pounds or so. Anyone else like that?

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 26, 2008 05:40AM

I don't bother with counting calories or watching a weight scale. My attention is focused on how I feel and how lean/fat my body is in terms of pinching fat around the middle or "love handles". I don't want to be fat and I don't want to be skin and bones either. By listening to my body and eating in response to its signals for food in terms of what to eat, how much, and when I find I can feed my body just right for me. Learn to trust your body, its a coach with your best interests at heart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables