Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Question about Aloe Vera
Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 26, 2008 09:19PM

I have an aloe vera plant at home and I make my own face cream and soap with the gel. I don't know what to do with it skin,I did try to blend it with the get but didn't work.Anyone knows what to do with the aloe skin?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about Aloe Vera
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:35PM

yeah, the skin is tough..it works for me in green juices where I often add a chunk of whole leaf aloe vera.

Date: April 27, 2008 07:56PM

Wow !!! It tastes good? I only drink the gel.

Date: April 27, 2008 10:14PM

aloe vera CAN taste good depending on the variety--so I've heard..the only variety I have tried is bland and tasteless in my green juices where it is a minor herbal ingredient amounting to about 15% by wieght..meant more as a tonic than for the flavor..and in whole leaf form as is my way..

does the skin look nutricious to you? have you tried tasting one? do you just hate to throw it away?

Date: April 28, 2008 03:50PM

I hate throw it away.I've never taste it,and I think it might be nutricious,I don't know.If I make a face cream or soap with the skin,it is very unconfortable and scratches all my body.I might try the skin on my smoothe,let see.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: April 28, 2008 08:22PM

Aloe vera skin is a laxative so careful how much you eat. I put the gel in smoothies but put the skin on the compost heap!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: April 29, 2008 01:42AM

"Traditionally the leaves are cut and taken to a processing facility as quickly as possible, and ideally, in a refrigerated truck. Here the leaves are filleted by hand to remove the outer, green skin. However, unfortunately most of the beneficial compounds are concentrated just beneath that outer skin. Thus, filleting removes these compounds and discards them along with the skin.

More efficient processing methods have recently been developed that utilize the whole leaf and just remove the green parts of the leaf in a cold process involving a cellulose dissolving substance. This retains the biochemical activity of the Aloe Vera Leaf in its integrity. The resulting gel is of a yellow color as it still retains the aloin, which is the bitter, laxative compound. Further processing involves adding various innoxiously oxygen scavenging chemicals. Any oxygen present in the gel promotes breakdown and deterioration as well as providing a life support system for aerobic bacteria to develop. Then the pulp is removed from the liquid part, the aloin is filtered out with the addition of a carbon compound which is subsequently removed. To destroy any anaerobic bacteria the liquid is passed through tubes in which it is exposed to ultraviolet light." [www.sacredearth.com]

..two years of juicing about one kilogram of RAW whole leaf aloe vera per week without any side effects..that's my experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables