Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Digestive problems
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:31AM

I've been 99% raw for about 3 weeks and I'm not sure my digestive system is very happy with me. I think I may be getting too much fiber if you know what I mean... I'm afraid I'm not retaining all of the necessary vitamins. Any advice?

I'm sure I'll get this question so here is my typical diet for the day:

Breakfast - almond yogurt or a smoothie (with kale and fruit)
Snack - apple
Lunch - Salad (kale and cabbage) with fruit
Dinner - Spinach soup or a salad

Any advice would be helpful. I'd really like to stick with raw foods but not if I have to spend all of my time in the bathroom!

Also, does anyone else worry about the "humans cannot digest cellulose" talk?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Digestive problems
Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: April 30, 2008 06:10AM

Wow. Kale, cabbage, and more kale. Seems like a lot of cruciferous fiber for one day, especially if you're new to raw.

I've been eating predominantly plants for many years now and even I would have a hard time digesting all that in a day. Try not eating fruit and vegetables together in one meal and see if that helps. I know that my stomach is way unhappy whenever I use any fruit other than apples in my green smoothies.

There's a scientific explanation as to why this is better but I can't off the top of my head tell you what it is. Eating one thing at a time in mini meals (a.k.a. mono-eating) is also easier on the digestion...which I learned from another great member of this forum dzm.

~lanie

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 30, 2008 11:35AM

Too much fiber? Not likely. For your 'transition' period....until you reach YOUR raw food goals....you will probably eat TOO MUCH healthy food....and be in the bathroom TOO MUCH....ha! ha! This is not a bad thing....unless you are in some kind of pain or discomfort. While transitioning.....it was not unusual for me to eat 6 times per day....and go #2 6 times per day. Especially while still eating cooked foods. Fiber, both digestible and indigestible....will help scrape your insides free of internal deposits....and pull excess fats and proteins out of you. This is desirable. If you are worried about vitamin / mineral content of your diet, you are free to look up this information in www.fitday.com or in this link:

[www.nal.usda.gov]

-I hope this information is helpful.

-And thank you Lanie! I hope things are going well.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 30, 2008 01:13PM

Hmmmm, don't judge thing or second guess things by the typical medical or SAD approach. For example: If something is wrong - what do I need??

Remember changing your diet will bring about changes, many of them simply the body healing. You try to change it by adding this or that and you interfere. Get an awareness of basic health practices and lifestyle and GO AT A PACE that suits you to adapt comfortably and don't simply assume it's detox either. Hope that makes sense or helps :O)

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 30, 2008 01:16PM

I can second the 6 times/day scenario... which went on for maybe 3 months, but it corrected itself on its own. Just imagine how many adjustments your body is making... and how much more energy it has to finally let all of the old ways go (figuratively and literally).

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:31PM

thanks everyone, that was very helpful! I'll give all of those tips a try.

thanks smiling smiley

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 08:16PM

This happened with my husband also. He had several months with 7 or 8 times a day. This was his body's way of adjusting and also detox... Once the wastes were all gone, and the body also got used to raw food, he did ok. He is doing fine now, and has no problems. I say, give it some more time... just my opinion.

Take care
A Iyer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables