Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how do we know that the local farmers at our farmers market are not using GMO seeds?
Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: April 29, 2008 07:23AM

i recently watched the future of food.

great movie btw.

i was wondering with all the cross pollination and all that, how do we know that we are not still eating genetically modified seeds when we buy fruits from local farmers at farmers markets? how do we know we are safe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how do we know that the local farmers at our farmers market are not using GMO seeds?
Date: April 29, 2008 07:27AM

oh yea also, how do we know the seeds we use in our garden are not GMO seeds?

where do you people get your seeds from?

thanks in advance!

Re: how do we know that the local farmers at our farmers market are not using GMO seeds?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 29, 2008 08:04AM

You can buy organic, heirloom seeds for your garden. There are catalogs and websites that sell them. These are older, less frequently cultivated seeds that have been passed down over time.

You can always ask farmers where they get their seeds from, if you're concerned about GMO.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 29, 2008 08:22AM

good one

yeah

just ask them

Date: April 30, 2008 02:19AM

so when you ask them, what is the right (meaning non gmo) answer and what is the wrong (meaning gmo) answer? how will i know?

Date: May 01, 2008 05:15AM

bump; this is important! =(

I know some of you know the answer.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:18AM

ilovejen

<<so when you ask them, what is the right (meaning non gmo) answer and what is the wrong (meaning gmo) answer? how will i know?>>

i don't understand your question
are you asking

1) how will you know if they have a clue as to what u are talking about?
2) how will u know if they are lying?

can you rephrase your question?

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:29AM

Don't you think if they aren't using GMO seeds they'd be bragging about it and ready to rant on and on about what an adventure they had finding a source for those nonGMO seeds, name the source, and sight political actions you can take to protect that source?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2008 08:02AM

Most likely, if you're purchasing food from an organic farmer, they are aware of the GMO issue. Most organic farmers are very conscientious and are happy to tell you where they get their seeds from. We belong to a CSA, and the farmer we get food from plants heirloom seeds, and seeds gathered from his own plants. If you're dealing with conventional (non-organic) farmers, chances are, most haven't heard of the GMO issue.

Posted by: idarastar ()
Date: May 01, 2008 11:47AM

The farmers here have HUGE signs that say "organic produce" and "non-gmo produce." There has to be a label somewhere. Even if they haven't been "certified organic" they will tell you that they practice organic farming methods.

I hope your neighbors aren't trying to poison you! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 01, 2008 04:25PM

i hope so too. =|

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: May 02, 2008 05:19PM

The short answer is that anyone concerned about the quality of the food that enters their mouth can only be positively sure of that food that they grow themselves..

Most honest organic farmers will gladly allow you to tour their farms (at a time of their choosing) in order to reassure you that they are actually following acceptable organic laws & guidelines..

The fact is that consumers must trust to the character & honesty of the farmers growing the produce found in the grocery stores..Humans have shown from time immemorial that they are willing to lie & cheat in order to make a greater profit than they might otherwise make under normal circumstances..Organic produce is the new cash cow in agriculture & it is attracting all kinds of people willing to cheat & skirt the organic laws in order to make a greater profit..

Much of the organic produce that I've purchased over the past several years has tasted no better, & many times worse, than conventional produce grown with chemicals..

As someone that had a large organic garden for approximately 10 years I know from personal experience that organic vegetables grown in humus-rich, compost-laden soil should taste substantially better than the same vegetable purchased from the grocery store that have been grown conventionally..

My personal opinion is that the large food conglomerates, the corporations, & the big independent farmers will never truly enter into the true spirit of organic farming..They will only do the minimum necessary in order to comply with state & federal guidelines..They won't spend a single penny extra than is necessary to improve their soil's fertility..Sustainable organic agriculture that produces fruits & vegetables that cost the same or less than fruits & vegetables grown with chemicals is just not something that these folks are interested in..

Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables