Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

One Food AT A Time
Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:19AM

Has anyone had any experiece w/ eating only one fruit or food at a time & waiting 45 min to 2hours to eat something else. Wow! I heard a couple of so caled "experts" suggest eating this way?

Has anyone found it made a big diference in their health? Was it a less enjoyable to eat this way?
Thanks,
KepItSimple

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One Food AT A Time
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:29AM

I eat most of my meals that way. I find the food tastes great and is very enjoyable when eaten as mono meals separated by a slight return of hunger. I find that my foods digest easily when eaten simply.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 07, 2008 11:36AM

Yes. I've eaten this way for many years now. I think it is an excellent 'refinement' to a diet where some one is already meeting THEIR raw food goals.

I find that it is the best way to ensure that the foods I AM eating are digested to the fullest. It is really ELIMINATION that determines one's level of health (in my opinion) so it's all about how thoroughly and quickly food digests and wastes are moved out of the system.

I agree with EZ and second that eating individual foods that way certainly tastes great.

Note that mono-eating, fasting, cleansing, etc., is NOT something (in my opinion) that beginners should stress over. Just let the food be your medicine...until you reach YOUR goals....and THEN additional 'refinements' can be employed as necessary. What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: May 07, 2008 01:13PM

I've eaten mono and I've eaten raw recipe-type food. I can't really say which I prefer...both suit me at the time and that's why I eat them. I like to think that eventually I'll be eating mono all the time, but I'm not going to stress over it. It does make me feel great, I have to admit.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 07, 2008 01:33PM

Mono meals have made an amazing difference for myself healthwise, not for most beginners though I feel. That and smaller meals. It helps in many ways, especially to appreciate the food you are eating and be more aware of true hunger and actual taste. Most people think it is boring, it is just the opposite I feel :O)

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: May 07, 2008 02:08PM

I tried mono meals for nine days and I had more energy--and slept an hour less each night. I can see myself transitioning to a simpler diet like mono meals in the future, but right now I'm emotionally not ready for the detox it will bring with it (my body is ready for the next level of health, however!).

If you are curious about it, try it out. If it doesn't feel good at the time then you know it's either not for you, or you aren't ready for it, yet.

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: Keepitsimple3344 ()
Date: May 07, 2008 05:13PM

Dave,
Dave how long do wait in between meals as a general rule??

Tried eating mono last night & enjoyed it-had cooked Quiena-.
I liked it.I found it a simple way to eat,not thinking what else am I going to add to the mix. I felt that my body & mind responded well also.I also sensed it had the propensity to help one not over eat and did that for me last night & think it helps in various foods not competing w/ each otherin my body and mind.

The point about beginners is well taken. One thing I love about this site. Is the "Easy does it" mentality and the "Pay attention to what works for you."
I had a friend who tried to shove this way of eating down my throat and talked in terms of right and wrong and YOU SHOULD NEVER eat this or that.I became frustrated with him and told him he did not have a monolpy on the truth and almost abandoned the whole concept until I resaerched more.Plus he's not very emotional healthy and falls asleep ALL THE TIME.Probally indications of a dogmatic spirt and as they all say here -"Not listening to his own body."
I am new and I know JUST FOR ME it is important to ENJOY what I eat & if I get into a mentality of I have to do this or else then JUST FOR ME that is not enjoyable,a bad place to be,and defeating the purpose of moving toward an improved diet.

I think the key right now is to read,use reliable sourse and then try different things to see how my body & mind respond.I catch on pretty quick when I am feeling overwhelmed and its time to go a bit slower.

I have also found that JUST FOR ME,its not a black or white thing.This morning,instead of having 5 frits for breakfast. I tried having just 3. I knew that my mind & emotions would not do well if I forced myself to eat only bannans for breakfast.Therefore, I had banannas,pear and few organic raisins.I found this,JUST FOR ME, better than the 5 different foods.And you know what,if I feel like I want 5 fruits one day.It's not rocket sience!I will eat all 5.

Thanks for your support and your take it slow mentality.

Keep It Simple

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 07, 2008 06:36PM

My energy levels soar and my tummy is never bloated if I eat mostly mono for a day. I can't say I'm at a point where it's all I want 100% of the time, but more and more I find myself gravitating that way.

I don't even really care for smoothies because my mouth has healed to the point where flavors and textures are so subtly delightful, I want to experience every piece of fruit to its fullest. Same with fruit salads and things... I'd rather appreciate everything one at a time. Perfectly ripe berries and mangos are just SO good, I couldn't imagine them any other way. <3

Date: May 07, 2008 06:37PM

KeepItSimple: A minimum of 15 minutes for water....30 minutes for light juices......45-60 minutes for very soft/non-starchy fruits like melons.......1-2 hours for more starchy, fatty or fibrous fruits like avocado or apples.

Right. You nailed it on the head. Folks these days have such a powerful mind....(the zen guys call it the 'playful monkey') that the mind becomes the overlord....and how you THINK about the situation becomes far more of a key factor than any intrinsic problem within the situation. I.E., the problem moves beyond the problem.....and becomes: having a problem WITH having a problem. The former you may not change....but the latter is an attitude choice.

-The fact is, EVERYONE is eating SOME level of fresh, unprocessed plant foods....and so EVERYONE is on the raw spectrum...whether they know it or not. The key is to identify where YOU want to be on that spectrum....and not 'switch channels' so quickly that you lose track of your own life...or cause suffering, strife, or crisis. Otherwise the mind steps in and tells you that you are suffering....and THAT becomes the over-riding thought.

-In other words....if you cannot give with joy....better to leave the alter of your beloved (past-time or person).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 07, 2008 07:04PM

^^I would really like to second whoever suggested compiling DZM's wisdom into a book!

That hit me like a sack of bricks... or... very tough potatoes.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 07, 2008 08:39PM

>>>>^^I would really like to second whoever suggested compiling DZM's wisdom into a book! <<<<

Yeah, I was the one who suggested it and I was thinking about it big time while reading that post.

Thanks dude, very helpful!!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 07, 2008 09:01PM

I like to time my mono meals by using my body signals rather then using a clock or a schedule. I find that my body signals are my best coach.

Date: May 07, 2008 09:01PM

Thank you Phantom and Pakd4fun....such great support and comments. I'll start a separate thread on the 'playful monkey'...heh....heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: May 08, 2008 08:50AM

What tanawana said.

It is helping me with congenital digestive issues.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables