Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what can you do with green papaya?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 06, 2008 07:03PM

I bought one last week but I still haven't cut it open.

Should this go in my veggie salad? I saw a recipe for a thai salad but it called for cooked peanuts and soy sauce.

Does anyone have any raw ideas? I know I can put it on my face but I plan on eating most of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what can you do with green papaya?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 06, 2008 07:36PM

Shred it with some mango, red pepper, onion, cilantro, and lime. Sprinkle with raw cashews if you want.

It's also good with diced garlic, thai chili, tomato, chopped green bean, and lime.

I found, in the end, shredding it was way too much work for me, and I'd rather pay for my salads and leave prep to the professionals. tongue sticking out smiley

Yum... now I want to eat some!

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: May 06, 2008 07:38PM

Greens papaya have more enzymes than ripe papaya, they are the best. You can use them in salads or smoothies, you can also use them for face masks [www.2skincare.com] .

Date: May 06, 2008 07:53PM

I bought this shredder thingy from the Asian store, it cost about a buck. It's really easy with carrots and sweet potatoes so I expect it will not be a big deal with this papaya.

Date: May 06, 2008 09:32PM

Here is the shredder thingy I bought. I didn't pay anywhere close to what it sells for here.
[www.amazon.com]

The one review specifically mentions green papaya.

Anyways, if you can find it for cheaper than this, get it, I am really pleased with mine.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 07, 2008 06:52PM

Wicked, thanks! I have one of those loooooong rectangle ones from Ikea, so I have to use the papaya on the shredder, not the shredder on the papaya, it's very uncomfortable. confused smiley

Date: May 07, 2008 07:33PM

Well, I just had it. I shredded it along with a carrot, some onion, chili sauce, peanuts, and lemon juice (I had no lime).

It was pretty good.

Next time I will use red pepper, tomato, and lime juice.

By itself it didn't have much flavor, sort of like cucumber without the cucumber taste (I know that doesn't make sense but that's what it was like). But, it soaks up the flavors of what you put in with it.

Hoping all those enzymes will do something good for my body!

Posted by: jairama ()
Date: May 08, 2008 05:52AM

here is what i do

peel papaya
scrape out seeds if any and cut into chunks
run through cuisinart with shredder blade
throw in big bowl add little salt and massage with hands to break down cell wall a bit
into a mortar i add chile, garlic or onion or asafoetida, then crush, then lime juice, sweetener, crush more, then a little bragg's or nama shoyou (not raw but tastes authentic), sometimes taramind - crush
then toss with papaya and throw back into mortar in batches crushing and further breaking down cell wall, allowing special flavors in

crush green beans add toss in, and tomatoes, and some kind of ground peanut alternative (brazil, pumpkin, cashew) i like pumpkin

keep adding until tastes like thai style!

yum!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: May 10, 2008 03:15PM

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables