Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Independent Melon---why?
Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:51AM

I am curious....in all my reading it is always mentioned that melons should be eaten alone, not even in combination with other fruit, yet I have never read the reason Why! I've been curious about this for a long time.

Anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Independent Melon---why?
Date: May 19, 2008 03:54AM

Also----can one combine melons? Like have a mix of Gaia and Canteloupe? That sounds good...and would look so pretty too.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 19, 2008 04:23AM

I'm sure there is a scientific reason. Try it alone...and in combination with other things...and see how you feel...and report back.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 19, 2008 04:31AM

Yes, having your experience is the best way to see about this rule.

It has to do with food combining. If you are eating a small portion of fruit salad (say like 8 ounces) and there is some watermelon in your salad, odds are you won't notice any digestive difficulty. However, if you ate enough fruit salad to satisfy 1/3 of your daily caloric intake, you might experience some digestive distress.

Watermelon digests really fast. It only takes 15 minutes to 30 minutes to exit the stomach. Other foods, say like heavy fatty foods like nuts and seeds, take hours to leave the stomach. So if you eat a large heavy nutty meal, and then afterwards eat a large quantity of watermelon, the watermelon gets stuck behind the slower digesting foods, and starts to ferment. Then you have bad gas. Sometimes explosive in nature smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2008 09:44AM

thanks bryan

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 19, 2008 08:01PM

The only thing I can eat watermelon in combo with is OJ. I was shocked to find this out. smiling smiley I've since learned that a lot of it has to do with the water content of the food.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:04AM

Now, sometimes I find myself cutting a DELICIOUS cantaloupe in half, and just spooning it out, seeds and all. I am aware of melon's digestive properties. The only difference, at my current stage, that I feel when I eat them like this, is MUCH FULLER. No discomfort.

How does that stack up in the world of melon combining? It makes me wonder.

Maybe there is a synergy? :O

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:23AM

I've never noticed any discomfort from food combining but my husband does have trouble with this. I guess it just depends on the person. I usually mix cantelope, honeydew, and watermelon with red globe grapes and I don't even burp. LOL

Date: May 20, 2008 02:56AM

Well, I was brazen this a.m. and ate half of a large canteloupe and also a mango and banana , soon followed by strawberries and banana --- and I Didn't Burp either!!! smiling smiley Not exactly mono, eh? I just keep thinking of more fruit I want! Still in the multi multi ingredient mode!

That's that for the independence of melons.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 20, 2008 02:34PM

I wondered about melons too...so it all seems to boil down to the speed in which they pass thru the stomach.
Interesting.
Brian

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: May 20, 2008 03:18PM

There are usually no studies to validate many of these assumptions. Why would not melons being digested first help digest the other fruits in the stomach, why do they need to leave the stomach? Mixing melons with cooked food or vegetables is not recommended but there no reason no to mix them with other fruits.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 20, 2008 05:28PM

The other idea (I have no evidence to back this up) is that the system releases certain digestive juices in reponse to certain foods. Mixing foods sends mixed messages...and results in only partial or incomplete digestion. The juices released to digest melons may be fairly specific...and not play well with others! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables