Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

More info on acid alkaline balance....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 30, 2006 03:28PM

Expanding on what I wrote in Jackie's post below.

This comes from Dr. William Kelley - who began to heal people, after healing himself, and, naturally, was run out of the country by the AMA, and almost destroyed.

People with overalkaline systems, vs, over acid, tend to get different diseases. Those who tend toward's acid systems tend to get bacterial infections, cancers, and one kind of arthritis - I can't remember which. Over alkaline people tend towards leukemia, viruses, and the other kind of arthritis. So here'a clue for you. If you're a big virus person - going more alkaline may not be the solution.

I, early on, certainly bought into the notion that I, and everyone was too acid. I threw more fruit, more alklaline at it. I thought it was all detox. Wrong. I ended up with red blood cells going unbelieevably low, white going high. In '84 a doc told me I was a year from leikemia. And of course, I had viruses, funguses. More fruit - more alkaline - it all got worse and worse. Meniere's disease occurred. that was not fun and not so great if you're a musician. This wasn't detox. Detox ends and you get better. This was a decline over months, years. Over alkaline hell.

I was finally put on a high red meat diet which likely saved my life, but which was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Again, I'm only sharing this to put a crow bar in the false concept that we are all to alkaline, and because I want to save others the hell I went through because of that concept.

Walnuts and my friends. Greens are my friends.

Much love and best wishes,

PG

Options: ReplyQuote
One more thing....
Date: June 30, 2006 03:30PM

A clue as to your acid-alkaline predilection: Those people who have really tight, wirey, muscley, yangy bodies are on the acid end of things. Those of us who are bascially more Pillsbury doughboyish and doughgirlish - we tend more toward the alkaline end of things. Again. one size never fits all.

Still more info....
Date: June 30, 2006 03:50PM

If you tend to be over-alkaline emphasize these fruits if you have a penchant for fruits: plums, occassional apples, cherries, blueberries.

The delicious tropical fruits are not friendly to you. And watermelon, in face any kind of melon, and pineapple are your internal terrorists.

As far as veeggies go - the greener, the better - kale, spinach, shrooms, winter squashes (now who wants to eat those in July???) Romaine is not your big friend. too alkaline.

Nuts and oils are friendsly - especially walnuts. But the tropical nuts - cashews, macs, brazils - no. Obviously you don't want to eat more nuts and fat than your liver can handle.

Re: More info on acid alkaline balance....
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 03:55PM

This is all really interesting, thanks for posting it!

You're welcome and I forgot....
Date: June 30, 2006 04:19PM

Grapefruits are friendly to doughboys and girls too. But not oranges. And Bananas are terrible. Brocolli and caulflower are lovely, however.

By the way, this isn't just theory for me. This is my living experience.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 06:25PM

would you mind posting what is best for both types if they are interested in changing to the other type? Confused myself a tad, there. Sorry!

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 30, 2006 08:32PM

This is very interesting information!

I tend to not get sick, and I feel great, so I guess I'm right on the pH I'm supposed to be on. I checked the lists of various alkaline and acid foods, and it looks like I'm getting a good balance of both, although more heavily weighted on the alkaline side.

I'm so glad you were able to turn around that imbalance, Piano Gal!

Wow. More to think about...

Posted by: khale ()
Date: June 30, 2006 09:49PM

Very interesting. Thanks for the info Piano Gal.

Robert O. Young, author of the "PH Miracle" concurs. He advises avoiding fruit altogether until ones PH is balanced and THEN only to eat fruit occasionally as a treat. I admire the book and have studied it and will probably adopt his principles as I break the Master Cleanse (Day 5! woo hoo!!). This would entail a good seven weeks of 100% raw veggies, then a transition to an 80/20 vegan diet, with at least 70% of food eaten raw.

I dunno about the "body type" thing. I know lots of doughboys and girls who are highly acidic...myself included at one time. But, ya know, contradictions are rife in the nutrition field (and actually many other fields as well).

Good thread,

~K

Posted by: RawGuy2000 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 09:51PM

If I am trying to get rid of an infection/fungal infection, what the hell do I go by? The candida diet is telling me one thing, I'm hearing other things, and now I'm reading other things. OK, do what feels right for the body - Well, what about alkaline forming and acidic forming fruits? What about that? If I have an infection, what the hell do I do?

Bryan told me Blueberries were good to eat, but it seems after reading more about acidic and alkaline forming foods, that blueberries are very acidic. This raw food combining is VERY tough.

What do I do when I have this problem? I need major help please.

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 10:04PM

to be honest, I don't bother with combining. I eat fruit for breakfast, and an occasional snack. the rest of my day is all veggies. Food is nothing to freak out about. I sent you a link for a product that is supposed to heal fungal infections. Did you get it? Did you read it? If your doctor thinks it looks normal, maybe you are having detox symtoms comming through your skin in that area. Relax, increase your calorie intake with veggies, not sugery fruit, do the master cleanse and see where you are then.

Re: Still more info....
Posted by: mallow ()
Date: June 30, 2006 10:37PM

Piano Gal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you tend to be over-alkaline emphasize these
> fruits if you have a penchant for fruits: plums,
> occassional apples, cherries, blueberries.
>
> The delicious tropical fruits are not friendly to
> you. And watermelon, in face any kind of melon,
> and pineapple are your internal terrorists.
>
> As far as veeggies go - the greener, the better -
> kale, spinach, shrooms, winter squashes (now who
> wants to eat those in July???) Romaine is not your
> big friend. too alkaline.
>
> Nuts and oils are friendsly - especially walnuts.
> But the tropical nuts - cashews, macs, brazils -
> no. Obviously you don't want to eat more nuts and
> fat than your liver can handle.

Is this really true?? I'm not predisposed to a "yang" type body, I'm softer, but I'm pretty thin: 5 5" and about 110 lbs. I eat mostly pineapple and watermelon, ( plus other stuff-greens etc.-on days when I eat fats)
Does that mean that I shouldn't??

OH gosh, folks, I didn't mean to drop an unbalancing depth charge....
Date: July 01, 2006 01:22AM

I don't know what any one should do. All I can do is share what I know and my own experience. I TOTALLY GET the frustration of there not being a single accurate rule book for each one of us.

Raw Guy....I recognize my self of a few years ago in you. I sense this panic about survival that is causing you to be vulnerable to being tossed pillar to post between many differing opinions.

With all respect to Bryan, neither Bryan nor I nor anyone else on this board knows what you need to do. I can promise you this - And I can promise it absolutely.

You, at this very moment, are connected with the source of all being and all knowing. In this very moment, if you are open and want to know, you know exactly what to do, or say, or eat that will be harmonious with the highest good and health of the whole. It is with you now. You just haven't been putting your attention towards your own knowing. It's there.

I'll bet, in this moment, you can think of a food and simply know, perceive, whether it will be an uplift to your body. Right now. Try it. Everything you need to know is with you NOW. YOu just have to pay attention to is. Cultivate your own knowing.

Fear will cloud your knowing. Even the fear and panic about surviving or healing your penis will cloud your knowing of what the accurate thing for you in this moment is.

Been there - that's how I know. At some point in my life, I becamse tired of being afraid - so tired that I would have rather died than been afraid of dying any longer. Do you have a sense of what I'm saying?

Move with your best perception on what is next. Perhaps - just a thought - you'll decide to give whatever you choose a three month trial run. And then observe, observe, observe what happens with your body. You will have a sense of when something needs to shift. Maybe you'll discover, for example, that two teaspons of sea salt is too much. So you'll try one.

It's really fun.

And the process of refinement and balance goes on and on - infintely. There's no day, to my perception anyway, where I, personally can say, "Now I'm there. I have the perfect rules for the rest of my life. Life is a process of refinement on all levels. The cool thing is, there is no ceiling for any of us. there's no, "Now I'm there. I've got it nailed." We keep refining. Wouldn't it be boring if we didn't keep being drawn up and up and up and up again? I'd get sick of the same old scenery - wouldn't you.

Raw Guy, I trust your knowing absolutely. YOu just need to start paying attention to it.

Much love,

Piano Gal

Posted by: judes ()
Date: July 02, 2006 05:41AM

Has anyone really tried to find out their PH?
or are you just guessing? the only way to really
measure your PH is the litmus (might be spelled wrong)
test put some litmus paper on your tongue and read
the results.

found this real quick with google:
Test your saliva's pH to determine if it is alkaline or acidic. An acidic body provides an atmosphere that cancer and other diseases can grow and thrive in. A reading of 7 is neutral. Numbers below 7 are acidic, and numbers above 7 are alkaline.

The pH ("parts of hydrogen"winking smiley balance in the body is one of the most pertinent factors affecting the health of the body. The ideal pH of the body is indicated when the urine is 6.6 and the saliva is 7.4. These two pH's in the body, one intra cellular, the other extra cellular, must be kept in the proper range for the polarities of the body to be in the proper position for optimum electrical impulses. In

the paper is really cheap and can be used for all types
of things.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 02, 2006 09:19AM

You need to make sure you haven't eaten anything for at least two hours before you do that kind of litmus test, otherwise you will get the reading of the food and/or changes in the saliva to start digesting the food.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

My experience....a lot more to it than that.
Date: July 02, 2006 12:44PM

Twice in my life I determined it - first - in the early eighties when I worked with Dr. Kelley's program. There was a HUGE questionaire - hundred and hundreds of questions, along with blood and urine tests. Results - over alkaline system.

Then a year and half ago I worked with a metabolic counselor. q whole battery of tests, glucose challenge, blood pressure before during and after challenge, measing urine, and saliva ph and other factors at various times during the day of the challenge. Then a few days later - potassium challenge - taking blood sugar, unrine and saliva ph levels at various times during that, along with blood pressure. It was a very involved deal. I did it at home over several days. Fasting, the whole bit. It wasn't guess work at all! Then sent it to the metabolic counselor person. The results confirmed the same thing that Kelley's tests did in the 80's - an over alkaline system. It gave me a detailed read of whatwas going on in my little body at many levels.

As I recall - I hope I'm accurate on this, Jackie, one of the types - feels better on the glucose challenge - the other feels better on the potassium challenge. It's a continuum. People fall along the line of the continuum of acid-alkaline systems. It's very measurable - not guesswork. The piece, I believe, that is crucial to know is that this is not a world in which everyone is over acid and needs to become more alkaline. Makes sense, doesn't it, when you think about it? And also scientifically measurable. And yes, many more are over acid than over alkiline.

Love,

PG

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: July 02, 2006 06:53PM

Check this book out for obtaining a lot of information on the acidic list on fruits and vegetables:
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 02, 2006 07:59PM

Make sure to read the bad reviews about the book. [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 03, 2006 05:38AM

When it comes to eating a 100% raw diet, there are really only 2 places to get a significant amount of calories - either from fruit or from fat. The only long term 100% raw folk, people who have been doing 100% raw for over 20 years are all in the high fruit camp.

It is possible to have excellent health in the short term with a high fat raw diet. The length of time can be extended with stimulants in the diet, things like superfoods, cacao, maca, and other non-fresh produce ingestibles that help compensate for the lack of energy that comes from eating a lot of fat.

But ultimately someone on the high fat all raw diet gets pretty sick. Their wounds take a long time to heal, they always have mucus, they get infections, their energy isn't good unless they are using some kind of stimulant, and they get sick regularly. For these folks, the raw food diet doesn't work for them, and they either change their diet to a high fruit diet, or go back to cooked foods.

I can see that people get into a state of low health on SAD that their bodies can't tolerate or thrive on a high fruit diet. While this may initially be the case for someone coming from SAD to raw, this state of health need not be permanent. If a person starting raw cannot tolerate fruit, they can participate in supervised fasts so that their bodies can have a chance to heal the organs that may have been impaired by the SAD lifestyle so that they can thrive on fruit.

In any case, I am not asking anyone to take my word for this. Have your own experience. Go out and meet the 100% raw foodists who have been raw for 15, 20, 25, or more years. Find out what they eat, and how it works for them.

I've been 100% raw for over 4.5 years now. I started out on the high fat raw diet, and I wasn't getting the health improvements I was looking for. When I cut over to the high fruit raw diet, I got really sick, as my body quit getting the stimulation it got from the condiments and spices I was using. Also, with the extra energy my body had from not eating all that fat, my body decided to go into a big detox, a big healing crisis. After the crisis, my health went into an upward spiral, and things kept getting better.

The other thing I noticed in my raw life is that the folk I knew who remained on the high fat raw diet often didn't stay raw for very long, and these people ended up going back to cooked foods.

Posted by: Ani ()
Date: July 03, 2006 11:11AM

Bryan (and others), I´m just curious: Do raw fats cause mucus? I suppose raw nuts cause mucus because they are acidic. But what about avocados?
Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 03, 2006 01:03PM

Bryan, there are many more routes for getting high calories besides fruit and fat. Many eat high sprout diet. Quinoa, millet, mung beans sprouts have high proteins and colories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables