Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Enough fats?
Posted by: irena ()
Date: June 01, 2008 01:40AM

Well I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and finally decided to register. I have a question regarding the amount the fats I consume. I have been cooked vegan for about 8 years, went 100% raw the summer of 2002 for several months. At the time I was eating lots of sprouts (beans, seeds) and lots of nuts and did not find that my body was thriving on the diet so went back to cooked. This time (couple a months ago) I decided to increase my raw food percentage to 85-90% and eliminate grains from my diet. I have found that my body seems to thrive on fruits and really slows down on grains. I basically eat fruit during the day and a large salad in the evening. The only cooked food I eat is beans which I mix in my salad (mung, gorbanzo, adzuki, etc) and some canned olives. The only sources I get my fats from are avocados (medium sized one once or twice per week) and olives(the days I do not have avocado 10-15 olives). I have been avoiding nuts and seeds since I feel that they slow me down as well. I feel great, lots of energy, the so familiar feeling of foggy brain and tiredness is gone smiling smiley I guess my question is if you think that I can sustain my body needs for fats from this or will my body be suffering in the long term. Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Enough fats?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:31AM

Physical symptoms of essential fatty acid deficiency are here, mostly dry skin, brittle nails, dry hair--you will definitely know it when you have it:
[www.fabresearch.org]

Posted by: irena ()
Date: June 01, 2008 02:46AM

Thanks arugula. I have not yet experienced any major symptoms other than little bit dryer hair. I will be definitely monitoring myself for the specific symptoms.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: June 01, 2008 03:22AM

I have never done 80-10-10. The lowest I did for fat for any significant time was 15% and after a couple of months of that I was bouncing off the walls. Not because I had any dry extremities but because I craved the taste of fat!

I aim for 20-25% most days but like the World Health Organization, I don't think there is any benefit above 20% except that in a very broad sense one is less likely to incur a deficiency.

If you are eating a head of lettuce and 20 or more pieces of fruit every day you probably get enough of the short chain omega 3. If not a tbsp of ground flax provides some insurance.

Omega 6 is usually in good supply in most other seeds and nuts. There isn't much of it in avocado, olive, or coconut, though. A brazil nut and a couple of walnuts per day would work. But some people here do not eat nuts or seeds at all, relying almost exclusively on avocado and coconut for overt fats, and seem to do pretty well.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 01, 2008 07:45AM

I hardly go over 7% normally

I eat fresh vibrant foods

rarely eat avo..nuts or seeds

Feel well, can workout as I want twice a day.. no problemo!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables