Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hair Loss
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2008 06:02AM

A friend of mine who has been raw for 2 years is losing patches of hair big time. Her diet consists of nothing but fruits and veggies. Her doctor told her this is due to lack of protein??? This scares me! Has anyone else had this???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hair Loss
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 04, 2008 11:40AM

Sounds like she needs a qualified doctor and some healthy fats in her diet. This isn't due to raw foodism or veganism; it's due to either stress or her personally not getting the right or enough nutrients.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: June 04, 2008 02:38PM

If she's eating greens, she's getting MORE than enough protein. I would recommend a doctor who also is a qualified nutritionist.

I can tell you from personal experience, the same thing happened to me (pre-raw) because of stress. And freaking out about bald spots doesn't help the stress, either. As soon as I got out of a very bad living situation, my hair grew back IMMEDIATELY. I know how scary that can be!

I've also heard stories of people transitioning to raw, where sometimes a lot of hair falls out--and then grows back twice as thick, because the body is making a ton of adjustments.

Either way, it might ease your friend's mind to see someone who can help on a nutritional level. The raw diet is full of nutrition in a form that's most accessible to the body--cooking only destroys nutrients and creates toxic byproducts that stress the body to eliminate. Saying "not enough protein" comes from an easily debunked myth that MEAT is a superfood and a perfect source of nutrition. In reality, meat takes too long to digest and putrefies in the GI tract; its proteins must first be broken down into amino acids and THEN reassembled; it includes a ton of indigestible, toxic byproducts that are very harmful to the body. Compare that to raw plant protein, which offers everything in readily-available amino acid form (no deconstruction and THEN reconstruction). Most people also only need about 30g of protein a day--the RDA is way too high, and too much protein creates an acid environment in the body.

Sprouts are also an awesome source of raw protein. =D

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: June 04, 2008 03:48PM

This happened to me. It wasn't protein, it was a hormone shift. If you have a quick shift in hormone balance, you'll disrupt the hair shedding cycle. It also happens after childbirth to many women (hair stops shedding during pregnancy then sheds a lot the few months after). It also happens to many people after surgery.

It's happened to me 3 times under these circumstances. It will shed dramatically for a month or two, then slowly grow back and the hair shedding cycle will get back on proper pace. Just be gentle when combing and washing. Hair is weakest when wet.

Feel free to PM or email me, but beware, mercury is still in retrograde and it's been causing issues with my connection, but I will get back to you!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2008 06:12PM

...or could just be an auto immune deficiency called Alopecia Areata. A condition that she was born with and it just now presented itself, possible because it was triggered by stress, or just some overwhelming events going on in her life.

She should see a Dermatologist...

By the way Apopecia Areata is a auto immune deficiency much like allergies, astma, MS, eczema, etc. It's where the immune system is doing all that it's supposed to do but MISTAKENLY attacks the hair follicles.

If she is diagnosised with this and needs support she can go to my website: www.bbibby.org also there is a community for people with alopecia very interactive and that site is www.alopeciaworld.com

Tell her to also remember that the Strongest animals are Vegitarians...how do you think they're getting packed full of protein? Just something to think about...

Take Care

J

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: June 04, 2008 07:35PM

One of my symptoms for the neurological problems that I got over winter in this house I moved into Sept. is loss of hair..and it is noticeably thinner on both temple areas and in bangs..but I haven't lost so much that anyone else could tell..unless if they lifted my hair up near the temples.

So, loss of hair could be any number of things..she'll have to rule things out as she does some research. I never lost hair when I stared raw foods, or during anytime I was raw and that's been over 5 years.

I still am not positive about where, why, what, and how my symptoms came on so quickly and so acutely. My intuition and research has led me to toxic mold and or sewer gases/sewage backup.

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: June 04, 2008 10:22PM

What kinds of fruits and veggies specifically is she eating?

I eat fruit and veggies too, and I find that if I go through a phase where I eat too much fat (usually from avos) I see a marked difference in hair loss. It's much less when I stay low fat.

I hope your friend figures it out soon!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: happyway ()
Date: June 05, 2008 11:04PM

She might want to use Cron-o-meter or other dietary software to check out nutrient profile of actual diet day by day. Fitday is another one I think. Theay are on the web and free.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables